• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2019 TV ratings and crowd numbers

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I considered going, but the loss against the All Blacks and the fact it was essentially a reserve team took any interest i had away from travelling all that way.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
WC game v Fiji
319k on FTA (inc regionals). 217k on Fox

Not quite the same time, but more viewers in both Sydney and Brisbane watched the AFL final on seven than the rugby on 10

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)
oddly enough NZ v SA top ranked stream of the world cup this week on Oztam VPM - beating out both AFL prelims, both nrl semis and the Aus v Fiji WC game.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Wallabies v Wales -
376k FTA Metro only
303k on Fox

Probably around 800-900k total.

Update: 395k metro and 181k regional

Most other RWC games on Fox around 30-40k

The_Wookie

Chris McKivat (8)

Although the Australian rugby team fought out a tough 39-21 victory over Fiji in its first game at the 2019 Rugby World Cup on Saturday, a study has found more than half the country is unaware the tournament is even on.

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
If it makes anyone feel better the NRL GF saw their lowest ratings in 16 years. A measly 2.9 million....
I wonder how much Fox shelled out for the RWC - 48 games and pretty much 90% with decent ratings must see a decent return for them. Especially with Kayo as well.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The ratings are not just about numbers, the demographics are important, too. I would hope that the rugby audience is pretty attractive to blue chip advertisers.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Yeah, TV ratings are down across the board. It's a changing landscape out there

The fact that both the AFL and NRL grand finals were predicted to be fairly one sided affairs wouldn't have helped the ratings. I suspect some of your more casual observers wouldn't have bothered watching because they thought they'd just see a flogging (as was the case in the AFL).

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Not about Australia, but the RWC seems to be picking up some traction in Japan.

A record television audience in Japan watched the Asian nation’s 38-19 win over Samoa in Pool A of the Rugby World Cup on Saturday, with more than 40% of the country tuning in. A peak audience share of 46.1% was recorded as watching on free-to-air Nippon Television, World Rugby said in a statement. Local media said it was the most watched sporting event of the year in Japan, surpassing Naomi Osaka’s win over Petra Kvitova in the Australian Open final.

More than 25 million people watched Japan’s victory over Samoa at the last World Cup, a domestic TV audience record before Saturday’s match. Japan, who are now within touching distance of a first ever quarter-final berth, face Scotland on Sunday, which is expected to attract an even bigger audience.

https://www.reuters.com/article/rug...-audience-watched-japan-v-samoa-idUSL5N26S1YH

46.1% of viewers in the 11th most populated country on the planet is a decent effort.

Reactions: dru

Crashy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Nah- just like when despite the australian media’s irrational hyperbole about mungo’s place in the world, you have these examples of how it is going nowhere. Despite being all about money.. now global rugby is so big- i’ll keep enjoying watching...

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
Nah- just like when despite the australian media’s irrational hyperbole about mungo’s place in the world, you have these examples of how it is going nowhere. Despite being all about money.. now global rugby is so big- i’ll keep enjoying watching.

Troll mode on.

Your first sentence doesn't make sense

just like when despite the australian media’s irrational hyperbole about mungo’s place in the world, you have these examples of how it is going nowhere.

The article you were commenting on does not talk about or have anything to do with rugby league. The Australian media as far as I read it (and pretty much media everywhere) do not try and argue rugby leagues international presence is any bigger then it is. Which is dwarfed by the international presence of rugby union.

Your comments read like you have insecurities about rugby league to be honest and I feel it would be thereaupetic for you to actually talk to your therapist about your feelings on rugby league, or type them out here and I am sure if you are going to get support anywhere its from the good people of this website.

to be honest I wont tell anyone if you deep down have a guilty pleasure of watching the NRL.