• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2020 Super Rugby Round 2 - Waratahs v Force

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Good matchup, better game than last night. Tahs controlled the field better 2nd half.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Game of two halves. Force great Tahs awful in the first - vice versa in the second. With a few more recruits i can see the Force regularly challenging the Au teams, if the opportunity presents itself.

Ralston and Stander my picks from the Force. Hooper and Ramm for the Tahs.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Well done Tahs. Much better second half. Bench made a difference. Lots to work on, but was good to see them work their way back into the game. That try right before half time was key.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Force were a bit better than I expected. Can see them falling apart later on with little depth.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Pretty entertaining game. Did I see Simmons lay a decent hit on? It took the Waratahs about 60 minutes to work out they could make serious metres doing the simple stuff which was nice. Great to have the Force back.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd get rid of both Newsome and Walton tbh. Said it last week and it's the same. There's no punch in the centres. Tepai 12. Hunt 13.

Tepai needs game time to learn. Start Dempsey over Harris too.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have a feeling it's about right, and the Tahs will win comfortably.

My logic (apart from being one-eyed) is that for all their inexperience the Tahs are fielding a settled line-up with match practice. The Force are fielding a new 9-10, will surely be rusty (when was their last game?) and there are a number of new combinations across the park.

I want to see them do well but I have a feeling they will compete for 60 minutes before the Tahs score a few late tries and run away with the game.

Close Barb. Tahs got up late, but didn't run away with the game.

I thought Jono Lance was way below par. Tahs' greater experience at this level saw them through.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I'd get rid of both Newsome and Walton tbh. Said it last week and it's the same. There's no punch in the centres. Tepai 12. Hunt 13.

Have to agree with this, especially the changes in the backs. Hunt showed his value, and brought that slightly unhinged, no self-preservation energy. Of course, easier to do when game becomes less structured, but showed the smarts too with those 2 50/22s. Definitely need some more punch in midfield.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

I think if Tepai was ready they'd play him. Suspect there are reasons. Agree that Harris has been quiet. That said I don't mind having someone like Dempsey come off the bench. I don't mind Newsome but I'm not sure him and Walton together has the balance needed.

I actually thought Staniforth brought some nice impact off the bench which was nice to see. Hunt obviously had a nice impact too with his disregard for body and smart heads up play.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Good to get out to some live rugby. Funny watching blokes sit a couple of seats apart from each other and then pass around a chip packet. The reorientation of the SCG is definitely an improvement. Got the feeling at the ground that the Tahs were going to come over the top at the end even when they were down by 14 in the first half.

Ramm motm at the ground (you could vote multiple times so a few Joeys’ old boys may have got him over the line), he was easily the biggest attacking threat for the Tahs’ backs and someone who has really impressed me. Quite a hoof on him as well.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Good to get out to some live rugby. Funny watching blokes sit a couple of seats apart from each other and then pass around a chip packet. The reorientation of the SCG is definitely an improvement. Got the feeling at the ground that the Tahs were going to come over the top at the end even when they were down by 14 in the first half.

Ramm motm at the ground (you could vote multiple times so a few Joeys’ old boys may have got him over the line), he was easily the biggest attacking threat for the Tahs’ backs and someone who has really impressed me. Quite a hoof on him as well.

How was the SCG reorientated? (must admit I didn't look that closely at the background stands).

I thought Maddocks had another reasonable game. Be curious how the attacking structures looked live? seemed to be going really deep and wide in that first half.