• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2022 Super W Season

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looks like the New Zealand Super W is set to play out on a much shorter time frame then originally intended:
Meanwhile, Newshub has reported that the women's franchise competition is set to play out in a Taupo bubble in a condensed tournament-style format.
The inaugural four-team competition had been due to run through March, but will now be pared back into a 14-day time-frame, Newshub reported. The plan was for round-robin matches to be played at intervals of just four days, with a grand final to follow. NZR is expected to confirm the new format as early as Monday.

I wonder if this means Arabella McKenzie and Michaela Leonard will be back in time for any of our Super W season.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

2022 BUILDCORP SUPER W DRAW​

* Denotes Super Rugby double-header, all times local

ROUND ONE

Friday 4 March: Western Force v Queensland Reds, HBF Park, Perth (16:35)*

Saturday 5 March: Melbourne Rebels v Fijiana Drua, TBC, (16:30)

Saturday 5 March: Brumbies v NSW Waratahs, GIO Stadium, Canberra (17:15)*

ROUND TWO

Friday 11 March: Melbourne Rebels v Brumbies, AAMI Park, Melbourne (17:15)*

Saturday 12 March: Queensland Reds v Fijiana Drua, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (16:15)*

Sunday 13 March: Waratahs v Western Force, Leichhardt Oval, Sydney (16:15)*

ROUND THREE

Friday 18 March: Brumbies v Queensland Reds, GIO Stadium, Canberra (17:15)*

Saturday 19 March: Fijiana Drua v Western Force, Leichhardt Oval, Sydney (12:00)*

Saturday 19 March: Waratahs v Melbourne Rebels, SCG Sydney (17:05)*

ROUND FOUR - COMPETITION BYE

ROUND FIVE

Friday 1 April: Fijiana Drua v NSW Waratahs TBC*

Saturday 2 April: Queensland Reds v Melbourne Rebels, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (16:15)*

Sunday 3 April: Brumbies v Western Force, Viking Park, Canberra (14:00)

ROUND SIX

Friday 8 April: Western Force v Melbourne Rebels, HBF Park, Perth (19:45)*

Saturday 9 April: Fijiana Drua v Brumbies, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (17:15)*

Saturday 9 April: NSW Waratahs v Queensland Reds, TBC (14:00)

E5EE71BE-77A9-42E3-A342-FBCE8FF5927A.jpeg

Last edited:

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So not a home and away season as previously rumoured. Top 3 teams progress through to finals. All matches broadcast on Stan Sport

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

2022 BUILDCORP SUPER W DRAW​

* Denotes Super Rugby double-header, all times local

ROUND ONE

Friday 4 March: Western Force v Queensland Reds, HBF Park, Perth (16:35)*

Saturday 5 March: Melbourne Rebels v Fijiana Drua, TBC, (16:30)

Saturday 5 March: Brumbies v NSW Waratahs, GIO Stadium, Canberra (17:15)*

ROUND TWO

Friday 11 March: Melbourne Rebels v Brumbies, AAMI Park, Melbourne (17:15)*

Saturday 12 March: Queensland Reds v Fijiana Drua, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (16:15)*

Sunday 13 March: Waratahs v Western Force, Leichhardt Oval, Sydney (16:15)*

ROUND THREE

Friday 18 March: Brumbies v Queensland Reds, GIO Stadium, Canberra (17:15)*

Saturday 19 March: Fijiana Drua v Western Force, Leichhardt Oval, Sydney (12:00)*

Saturday 19 March: Waratahs v Melbourne Rebels, SCG Sydney (17:05)*

ROUND FOUR - COMPETITION BYE

ROUND FIVE

Friday 1 April: Fijiana Drua v NSW Waratahs TBC*

Saturday 2 April: Queensland Reds v Melbourne Rebels, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (16:15)*

Sunday 3 April: Brumbies v Western Force, Viking Park, Canberra (14:00)

ROUND SIX

Friday 8 April: Western Force v Melbourne Rebels, HBF Park, Perth (19:45)*

Saturday 9 April: Fijiana Drua v Brumbies, Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane (17:15)*

Saturday 9 April: NSW Waratahs v Queensland Reds, TBC (14:00)

View attachment 13072
While I'm glad to see it back in a non-abridged format. I'm a bit disappointed that we're not seeing a full home and away schedule. We need to develop our women's structure so that they're more robust and provide more games. Much like our means. Both the English and French have done so in their domestic structures and were a class above all comers last November

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
While I'm glad to see it back in a non-abridged format. I'm a bit disappointed that we're not seeing a full home and away schedule. We need to develop our women's structure so that they're more robust and provide more games. Much like our means. Both the English and French have done so in their domestic structures and were a class above all comers last November

they could only do a full H&A if they were prepared to pay them. That perhaps speaks to the reasoning behind this draw

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
they could only do a full H&A if they were prepared to pay them. That perhaps speaks to the reasoning behind this draw

Well, there was news of the Rebels women starting to be paid for their time late last year. But I get the point. It's something we need to somehow work towards.

Sheepie

Sydney Middleton (9)
I presume tickets for SRP (Super Rugby Pacific) matches also give us access to the SW matches for those that are double-headers? I've got a ticket for GIO on the 5th, hoping I can watch both.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well, there was news of the Rebels women starting to be paid for their time late last year. But I get the point. It's something we need to somehow work towards.

yeah, I got the impression they weren't actually paying them a salary so to speak. Just facilitating some fundraising for them.

I hope all these sponsorships of late which include placement on the women's jersey actually means some cash to the women (or at least funds to their program specifically)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
yeah, I got the impression they weren't actually paying them a salary so to speak. Just facilitating some fundraising for them.

I hope all these sponsorships of late which include placement on the women's jersey actually means some cash to the women (or at least funds to their program specifically)

I was disappointed to see the Positive Rugby Foundation running a fundraising lunch for the Tahs Super W squad. Not that they were doing it but that they had to. Should be funded by the Tahs entirely. Hopefully a means to do this is found in the future.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
What about the 7's? I think they have the highest minimum wage.

Not that I think the Super W girls should be unpaid, but RA has a clear focus on the Olympic sport.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Games:

AFLW = 9 plus finals
WNBL = 21 games plus finals
WBBL = 14 plus finals
W A League = 13 plus finals
Super Netball = 14 plus finals
Super W = 5 plus finals
NRL W = 5 plus finals

Average min pay / regular season match:

AFLW = $1,847
WNBL = $714
WBBL = $1,857
W A League = $1,257
Super Netball = $3,071
Super W = $0
NRL W = $1,700

They keep talking up Ballymore as the home of the Wallaroos, considering most of the Wallaroos are Waratahs then they are going to have to sort out contracts if they expect them to move to Queensland for a few months.

Realistically some sort of central contracting system where the top XV players get a base contract and play AON 7s, Super W and Wallaroos. But I think RA have decided that their womens pathway is purely 7s rathern than XVs

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Wallaroos will be paid $200/day whilst in training camps or touring under the new EBA.

Which will help, but not minimum wage and requires the players to have flexible employers that allow them to tour/train for 2-3 months a year.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Fijiana Drua looking very much like the real deal, after scoring 93 points in the first 2 rounds.
Round 4 looking like a Grand Final preview when they take on the Waratahs

Anyway, some photos from Reds v Fijiana

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Watched the Tahs Women's team dismantle the Rebels 65-10. In an utterly ruthless performance. If they had scored the 4 tries they bombed it could have been even uglier for Melbourne. Looking at this team. NSW Rugby need to find the funds to properly pay them for their time. Far too good to be expected to do this for free. Plus, with the NRLW expanding again next season to 8 teams and introducing a $350k salary cap I couldn't fault the likes of Vella, Murphy etc. taking the opportunity to actually be paid.

Last edited:

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watched the Tahs Women's team dismantle the Rebels 65-10. In an utterly ruthless performance. If they had scored the 4 tries they bombed it could have been even uglier for Melbourne. Looking at this team. NSW Rugby need to find the funds to properly pay them for their time. Far too good to be expected to do this for free. Plus, with the NRLW expanding again next season to 8 teams and introducing a $350k salary cap I couldn't fault the likes of Vella, Murphy etc. taking the opportunity to actually be paid.
Yes and given force take the lead need to follow suit.