• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2024 Six Nations

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Looks like it was a good night to be a Lynagh!
Now we just have to get the Italian commentators to get his name right. They're generally pretty good with the non-Italian names, or at least they make a big effort. But Ly-nag leaves them with work to do.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Who's the "expert" commentator for England games on Stan? I mean, it can be hard to watch England do well at the best of times, but his commentary is an absolute punish.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Who's the "expert" commentator for England games on Stan? I mean, it can be hard to watch England do well at the best of times, but his commentary is an absolute punish.
Probably Dewi Morris. Did the main commentator have an Irish accent? Mark Robson, usually a painful enough experience. But for cringe-making calls of England games nothing beats the BBC's radio coverage. They take bias to unbelievable levels.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Dunno if anyone else watches T14 but when there's english commentary it's the worst I've ever heard. Sounds like my grandpa from the lounge room, most uninspiring least passionate calling. Amazed he's the best they could find.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
Surprised at the lack of discussion on this forum after the ultimate deciding games were so competitive.

The comp may never have been this competitive, even with Wales losing all of their games, three of those were by 3 points or less.

Ireland very deserving winners and the best team but I think they will feel the gap between them and the rest is closing, not increasing. They finished this tournament being hunted by a resurgent England who are clearly waking up from a slumber and then slugging it out against Scotland who would be disappointed with fourth and sort of remain where they have been the last five years, very competitive against anyone but not bringing much home.

France received a wake up call. It turns out you will notice losing the world’s best player and one of the best 10s. They still somehow finished second and I believe will be resurgent when Dupont returns. For their sake I hope they continue to build depth to support him. A strong France is so important to World Rugby.

The real story is Italy who are playing like a team that understands what their coach is saying. Spanish is a lot closer to Italian than New Zealandish I suppose. To any lay person in a non traditional rugby country seeing Italy compete lends so much credence in comparison to watching the era when Wales and England would duke out awful games with the occasional French success. Really excited for next year.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I lasted about 5 mins on Sunday morning for England France. He is truly awful whoever he is.

Sounds like I missed a pretty good game too, but wasn't going to sit through him to get there

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Great summary @Sword of Justice . There's been so much good watching this year. Some years it feels like the whole comp would come down to one game you could predict from months away, but this year has been so unpredictable. So much passion throughout.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I lasted about 5 mins on Sunday morning for England France. He is truly awful whoever he is.

Sounds like I missed a pretty good game too, but wasn't going to sit through him to get there
I've only watched the highlights of the England-France game so far, but it sounded like he was just begging the English to close the game out after their late try. I assume it was him you could hear exulting in the background of the comm box as they scored.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)

In the early stages of that match he stated “You’d have to say that England are ahead on points right now”. It was 3-0 to England at the time. Don’t believe he was being ironic.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Surprised at the lack of discussion on this forum after the ultimate deciding games were so competitive.

The comp may never have been this competitive, even with Wales losing all of their games, three of those were by 3 points or less.

Ireland very deserving winners and the best team but I think they will feel the gap between them and the rest is closing, not increasing. They finished this tournament being hunted by a resurgent England who are clearly waking up from a slumber and then slugging it out against Scotland who would be disappointed with fourth and sort of remain where they have been the last five years, very competitive against anyone but not bringing much home.

France received a wake up call. It turns out you will notice losing the world’s best player and one of the best 10s. They still somehow finished second and I believe will be resurgent when Dupont returns. For their sake I hope they continue to build depth to support him. A strong France is so important to World Rugby.

The real story is Italy who are playing like a team that understands what their coach is saying. Spanish is a lot closer to Italian than New Zealandish I suppose. To any lay person in a non traditional rugby country seeing Italy compete lends so much credence in comparison to watching the era when Wales and England would duke out awful games with the occasional French success. Really excited for next year.
Yes, life got a little hectic for me and I fell off updating this thread, but I really enjoyed the competition this year (even if I am sad Ireland stumbled achieving the grand slam).

Ireland are a well polished machine, but even they showed some fade as things went on and they still seem to have some frailties against the more physical teams. Scotland are always a fun watch, but their metrics show a team that needs a lot of polish, especially with the amount of penalties they're giving away. Wales are in a worrying spot with the loss of so much generational talent. They have some players who are giving it their all, but I'm not sure they have the depth or talent to be competitive with where they are at. England on the flipside has always had the depth (and arguably talent) but finally seem to have found some fire in the belly when it comes to the collision, coupled with some actual attacking structure and shape. France are in an odd place. I don't know what to make of them, but post RWC there seems to be some challenges going through that squad, especially san's Dupont. That said, when they do turn on, they can be a joy to watch. But the highlight of this years tournament has got to be Italy. The still have some attacking flair, but their defence and genuine graft is making me actually tune into their games. And considering this is after teams like NZ were putting 96 points on them just last year in the RWC - it's quite the turnaround.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
The real story is Italy who are playing like a team that understands what their coach is saying. Spanish is a lot closer to Italian than New Zealandish I suppose.
More a case of Crowley being a very prickly, very stubborn individual. His philosophy was attack, with defence, structure and game management never priorities. Quesada has made the necessary amendments and is unlocking the potential. Actually, Nick Mallett's influence shouldn't be overlooked. He was instrumental in the establishment of academies around the country - importantly, outside the traditional rugby stronghold in the north - during his time as head coach (before he succumbed to the parochial, byzantine world of Italian rugby politics). The young talent coming through has much to do with Mallett's vision.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
The young talent coming through has much to do with Mallett's vision.
There is some impressive talent coming through as seen in some of the U20 results. Some credit surely also must also go to people like Marco Bortolami and co. and even people like Giovanni Grespan as there is a pretty decent Benetton influence on the team and in the academy/U20 players coming through, not to mention in the main team.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
There is some impressive talent coming through as seen in some of the U20 results. Some credit surely also must also go to people like Marco Bortolami and co. and even people like Giovanni Grespan as there is a pretty decent Benetton influence on the team and in the academy/U20 players coming through, not to mention in the main team.
Absolutely true. Benetton are far and away the best, most professional club set up here. Always have been. Back in the day, as Treviso, they dominated club rugby, winning the comp something like 15 times so the heritage is there. Zebre, on the other hand, based in Parma, are an outfit created by the Italian Fed for the old Celtic league after a couple of failed attempts to develop teams based on clubs a la Treviso>Benetton. Zebre can have their good days but they will always be up against Benetton's heritage and professionalism.