• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2024 Under 20 Rugby Champs all match discussion thread

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I get the followers thing to a point. Good for them I guess. Can it be shown it has grown the game? After having a Quick Look I see there’s also teams pages with less than 3k followers… have some just spent more on it?

Can also argue the numbers should be bigger with 20m more people, it’s a 12 team comp when we have 28 premier grade sides between NSW, QLD & ACT. Then you have Vic and WA with another 21.

Can’t then say it’s a minor sport with the NRL and AFL being juggernauts in Aus.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
riiigght. So instead of buying Joseph Sua'ali'i we should have signed Logan Paul!
If he's the next John Eales then sign him. A winning culture attract the casuals and create a bandwagon effect.

Maybe that's the problem with Australian Rugby. "Oh we have low Social Media numbers, it doesn't matter". Meanwhile at the same time, the NRL buy the Marvel rights to attract more kids to their game

Marce

John Thornett (49)
I get the followers thing to a point. Good for them I guess. Can it be shown it has grown the game? After having a Quick Look I see there’s also teams pages with less than 3k followers… have some just spent more on it?
My main point is: the game grew in Argentina and declined in Australia. So this kind of results is more common these days. The Pumas beating the Wallabies in TRC, The Pumas 7s beating the Aussie 7s and The Pumitas beating the Junior Wallabies.

The game changer here it's that you also see bigger bodies in the other side. Something that was only common to see agaisnt Saffas, Maoris and Pacific Islanders. Nowadays even Argentina can produce more monsters than Australia.

Junior Wallabies are the candidate to win the wooden spoon this year and things get worse when you realize that NZ and SA aren't the top teams in U20s, nowaydas the competition is lead by France, Ireland and England

Last edited:

Rugrat

Darby Loudon (17)
A few comments on this Aussie performance. The weather was unbelievably bad. Wet cold and very windy. Thought the hooker did a great job getting any lineout throw straight. In Australia, most junior, club and school games and training always gets called off in the rain to save the fields. I would guarantee none of those lads had played in conditions like that before. it’s not an excuse it’s just an explanation. You can’t really judge the team or individual performance in those conditions compared to a game played in the dry. Not saying this team are world beaters its way too early to judge but if you don’t acknowledge the conditions you’re just throwing mud. Good luck lads for the rest of the series chins up. Great that this warm up comp to the World Cup is being played.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was game 1 in the worst conditions for Australian Rugby, both union and league, players. Think about our loss to Scotland in Newcastle or so many others here and overseas, it’s not a great excuse but we have as a nation never excelled in those conditions. Let’s wait and see how the next 2 games finish up before putting them all to the sword.

One point is clear though, the fact that we have 3 sports, 2 of which pay much more on average, vying for big athletic bodies is making it a difficult. No other nation we play has the same challenge. None.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Both sides handled pretty well for the conditions tbf but the argies to their credit got the momentum which once you had a lead in that sort of game good luck chasing the score.

Stylistically a bad match up for Aus through the use of big men. From watching NZ and the 18s games the last couple of years they may have some larger guys but they don't play through them so dependently. We have played similar styles to each other and a technically sound set piece has handled it fine.

Speaking on competition for players. It's a bit out there but I was watching the NFL draft last week and saw four PI boys picked in the 1st round and 15 or so in the draft. With all these camps that seem to be popping up around the country I wonder how many boys may opt to give College Football a go who would otherwise be in the Rugby Codes? Feels like a Roar article for someone wanting a future take. I know it's a small amount go on with it but a lot of the PI boys are built perfectly for the O&D line positions.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Not
Both sides handled pretty well for the conditions tbf but the argies to their credit got the momentum which once you had a lead in that sort of game good luck chasing the score.

Stylistically a bad match up for Aus through the use of big men. From watching NZ and the 18s games the last couple of years they may have some larger guys but they don't play through them so dependently. We have played similar styles to each other and a technically sound set piece has handled it fine.

Speaking on competition for players. It's a bit out there but I was watching the NFL draft last week and saw four PI boys picked in the 1st round and 15 or so in the draft. With all these camps that seem to be popping up around the country I wonder how many boys may opt to give College Football a go who would otherwise be in the Rugby Codes? Feels like a Roar article for someone wanting a future take. I know it's a small amount go on with it but a lot of the PI boys are built perfectly for the O&D line positions.
Not just the PI players. Thomas Yassmin just proved even key position are not out of the question for a development pathway prior to making it here like Hayne and Holmes.
It’s definitely a big all round challenge in front of the game here in Australia.
Let’s hope tomorrow’s effort and results are better for us.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I hope there's a Rugby team even if it's in the MLR that's keeping an eye on him pending his training with the Denver Broncos. I'm sure Randwick wouldn't mind him lining up with his brother.

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
Tuesday 7pm

1714966624019.png

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Surprised that Liddy has been relegated to the bench. He had a very strong game against Argentina.

Where are Lachlan Hooper and Dan Nelson? Both were standouts in last year's U19s with Hooper almost single handedly destroying other sides' rolling mauls. Nelson was clearly the best No 9 in the competition last year. Are they injured or out of favour?

On the plus side, really good to see the most threatening backline player, Angus Staniforth, back in the side.

Altogether, I think 10 changes are too much and indicates the coaches/selectors think they got it wrong last week.

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
Surprised that Liddy has been relegated to the bench. He had a very strong game against Argentina.

Where are Lachlan Hooper and Dan Nelson? Both were standouts in last year's U19s with Hooper almost single handedly destroying other sides' rolling mauls. Nelson was clearly the best No 9 in the competition last year. Are they injured or out of favour?

On the plus side, really good to see the most threatening backline player, Angus Staniforth, back in the side.

Altogether, I think 10 changes are too much and indicates the coaches/selectors think they got it wrong last week.
2 boys are yet to called up

Boston Fakafanua - Force
Ottavio Tuipulotu - Rebels

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Must be injured re Hooper and Nelson.

Nelson by far the best 9 in the group IMO. Hooper was a starter last year in a team this year that looks to need some hardness. Di Staso definetly plays hard. Not flashy but gets in there.

Sharples getting a test run? Straight from the U18s. Don't know anything about Tuipulotu other than he comes with some pedigree. As for Boston, he's another from the U18s and he's a hell of a talent but might be a bit young and raw still. May be a handy bench player with the ability to play 10,12,15 though. Had a hell of a game for NSW v QLD at Ballymore last year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think it's essentially a case of these being trial games for the Under 20 World Cup so they want to get everyone involved as much as possible.

We similarly rotate our squad through three matches each year in preparation for the tournament.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think it's essentially a case of these being trial games for the Under 20 World Cup so they want to get everyone involved as much as possible.

We similarly rotate our squad through three matches each year in preparation for the tournament.
I can understand that being the idea BH but why 10 changes? Maybe 6 changes this game and another 6 in the final game would suffice? There must be a cut off level for changes where the loss of cohesion outweighs any reward from giving everyone in the squad a run.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I can only assume L Hooper is injured, but surprised there hasn't been any reporting on it...

He hasn't been listed in any Brumby Runners or John I Dent Cup lineups this year.