• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2024 Under 20 Rugby Champs all match discussion thread

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
It is a lot of changes but it can be handled at this age and type of comp. A lot of simple plays done well is the key.

I don’t mind the idea of seeing who can shine and book at spot for the JWC.

Love2Scrum

Darby Loudon (17)
Hopefully the rain stays away

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpeg
    IMG_1357.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
TGoR, I think there are 4 or 5 changes to the forward pack. If that weakens the set piece to any degree is it likely to be a fair evaluation of the halves or outside backs? Conversely, if it proves to be a stronger pack, will that raise the prospects of the players in this backline as compared with those who played the first game? As I said, I think there have been too many changes for any realistic comparisons to be made.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can understand that being the idea BH but why 10 changes? Maybe 6 changes this game and another 6 in the final game would suffice? There must be a cut off level for changes where the loss of cohesion outweighs any reward from giving everyone in the squad a run.

It's 17 of the 23 players that played in the first match.

As far as I can tell only one player in the squad who hasn't been selected after game two is Fakafanua.

I also think in terms of cohesion you can't just look at changes in the starting side as being the be all and end all. Two of the starting front row were on the bench together last game likewise two of the bench front row started last game together.

The starting and bench 9/10 have switched but are still in the same pairings.

1, 4, 8, 12, 15 remain unchanged so there's some continuity among some of the best/senior players in the team.

Rudderless

Cyril Towers (30)
Tuesday 5pm

NZ v Argentina

New Zealand U20 Head Coach Jono Gibbes has made seven changes to his starting XV for the team’s match against Argentina at the Rugby Championship Under 20 Tournament in Australia.

For the match against New Zealand, Los Pumitas coach Álvaro Galindo made nine changes to the starting lineup and seven changes to the substitute bench.

Tazzmania

Tom Lawton (22)
HT NZ 24 v Arg 8

Argentina have improved since the rain came and with a wind behind their backs in the second half it could get interesting, however I think the gap looks too big at this stage.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ wind nowhere near as strong as it was on Thursday & rain seems to have stopped so conditions might not be so much of a factor in the second half?

bhim

Allen Oxlade (6)
Will be interesting to see how Goldsborough goes against Julius in the midfield, will be a tough matchup in his first Under 20s game