• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2025 schools rowing

OnTheGunnel

Frank Row (1)
I've heard that certain boys decided they did not want to race in the AAGPS 8 due to there being a large influx of Newington rowers. There has been news that instead, they are making a combined 8 with rowers from Kings, Ignatius and St Josephs and attempting to try out for junior worlds

- The President
Any reason for the exclusion of Shore and Sydney Grammar? Quality rowers in both.

The President

Frank Nicholson (4)
Any reason for the exclusion of Shore and Sydney Grammar? Quality rowers in both.
The most likely reason is that there would only be one rower from each school with those being Muffet (E) and Ellis (G). This would make it difficult to form combinations, especially in the short time frame as well as the year 12 rowers having other schoolwork focuses.

- The President

The 6 Seat

Frank Row (1)
Interesting.... sceptical about how the rowers would be able to gel together however, don't know if just lumping the best eight into a boat would actually produce speed.

The 6 Seat

Frank Row (1)
Well as they would be representing Australia, it would most likely be a coach from the MNTC.

- The President
I doubt that the MNTC would take a coach off their existing crew and onto a schoolboy one. Makes alot more sense to keep with Baker as he is already the King's Cup coach.

The President

Frank Nicholson (4)
Interesting.... sceptical about how the rowers would be able to gel together however, don't know if just lumping the best eight into a boat would actually produce speed.
Well, these boys would be 8 of the top 20-ish rowers of the junior rowers in Australia. So taking the 8 best seat racing performances and placing those boys in an 8+ would still move pretty quickly in my opinion.

- The President

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Well, these boys would be 8 of the top 20-ish rowers of the junior rowers in Australia. So taking the 8 best seat racing performances and placing those boys in an 8+ would still move pretty quickly in my opinion.

- The President
You could expect to see a few shocks in here, combinations > best rowers would become a big thing. Selection would take alot of time and effort.

The President

Frank Nicholson (4)
You could expect to see a few shocks in here, combinations > best rowers would become a big thing. Selection would take alot of time and effort.
But in reality, that time most likely would not be available. Schoolboy rowing takes up most of the boy's free time and having to continue this rigorous training routine whilst in the middle of their preparation for their HSC exams would be difficult. The selection and training processes will have to be fairly infrequent just as they would be so low on time.

- The President

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
But in reality, that time most likely would not be available. Schoolboy rowing takes up most of the boy's free time and having to continue this rigorous training routine whilst in the middle of their preparation for their HSC exams would be difficult. The selection and training processes will have to be fairly infrequent just as they would be so low on time.

- The President
I wouldn't mind seeing an U17 Eight.. World Rowing doesn't have an event for that unfortunately but Rowing Australia could introduce an Association Race, that would get a few fans out.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Correction! It is composed of Kings, Joeys and Riverview. Not Shore. Composed of only the Kings and Ignatius coaches Noonan (I) and Huxley (K)
Should look a little something like:

Ciesiolka
Mitchell
Negline
Mason
Hines
Rogers
Hennessy
Field

Burton

Adjusted to seat order:

Mason, Mitchell, Negline, Hennessy, Hines, Ciesiolka, Field, Rogers, c: Burton

Dont ask about swapping sides im sure the coaches would figure it out

That eight has alot of firepower

Backintheolddays

Bill Watson (15)
From what I’ve heard they’ve asked most of the biggest rowers to try out, not necessarily the ones you’d first consider. Think quite a few have declined the invite as well.
Good luck for trying regardless

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Given that this is a 'rugby' website who of this years rowing fraternity look like lining up for their respective school 1stXV?