• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2025 schools rowing

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Apparently, I heard that Charlie Galligan, the 4 seat of the infamous Shore 1st 8, pulled a staggering 6:08 2k Erg score. Quite an impressive feat of endurance and strength. Is anyone able to concrete this, or is it just more silly Shore boy banter. Cheers.

-SBE
Galligan is in the 5, my sources say he’s in the 6:15-18 range.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
SJC do have a cerise Empacher...but at the end of the day, it's not about the boat, its colour, or the amount it cost.

1996 Shore VIII - set the record 5.42 in a KIRS (NZ) East German shape
2015 SJC VIII - broke the drought in a KIRS/LASZLO (NZ)
2018 SIC VIII - broke the drought in a LASZLO (NZ)
2024 SJC VIII - SL (NZ)
Shore 2008 Grand Slam - all boats KIRS (NZ)
Riverview 2023 Almost Grand Slam - 5 of 6 boats LASZLO (NZ)

With the right exchange rate the NZ boats can come in at close to half the price of a top of the line Empacher / Hudson / Filippi.
Yes true but then you have:

2012-14 Shore dominant seasons (WinTech)
2016-17 Shore undefeated seasons/Grand Slam (Hudson/WinTech)
2019 Shore wins (Hudson)
2020 Scots drought break (Hudson)
2021 King’s upset (Fillippi)
2022 King’s Iron Cove Win (Fillippi)

Last edited:

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Well done to the following boat that was listed in the NSW Pathways 8+

Muffet, Mitchell, Tetley, Mason, Fuller, Grippi, Pinn, Macfarlane, c: Yates

Not the seating combination I expected, but nonetheless well done.

Coaches are Raven (J) and Anders (N)

Furthermore, well done to the boys in the following boat (NSW M8+ Trial)

Brown, Hennessy, Hines, McClean, Wickham, Ciesiolka, Mitchell, c: Burton

Coaches are Huxley (K) and Raven (J)

Rogers (K) is competing in the single scull.

Last edited:
Well done to the following boat that was listed in the NSW Pathways 8+

Muffet, Mitchell, Tetley, Mason, Fuller, Grippi, Pinn, Macfarlane, c: Yates

Not the seating combination I expected, but nonetheless well done.

Coaches are Raven (J) and Anders (N)

Furthermore, well done to the boys in the following boat (NSW M8+ Trial)

Brown, Hennessy, Hines, McClean, Wickham, Ciesiolka, Mitchell, c: Burton

Coaches are Huxley (K) and Raven (J)

Rogers (K) is competing in the single scull.
Hey Chairman,

What is the real difference beteen the NSW trial 8 and the pathways 8? What could we expect from each / where will they compete?

Cheers,
allpushnopull

GPS OB1

Bob McCowan (2)
Hey Chairman,

What is the real difference beteen the NSW trial 8 and the pathways 8? What could we expect from each / where will they compete?

Cheers,
allpushnopull
Hopefully it means that there’s large numbers of talented young men and women who go on with the sport! The trial 8 is trialling for Jnr World Champs but thought to hit the requirements for that. Will know more after their first race on Monday. And then the pathways 8 races against pathways 8s from other states but otherwise, a figurehead rather than having many regattas is my understanding.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Hey Chairman,

Cheers,
allpushnopull
NSW Trial is the faster boat, that is the grade “1” boat. These lads are within the NSW Rowing system, and the pathways Eight are the challengers, hence the name “pathways” who are challenging to get into the “Grade 1” boat. They may compete in some internal regattas, although its more for scouting from Rowing Aus and RowingNSW. It’s believed that the NSW boat will trial for World Junior Championships.

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Good to see Bazina (K) getting some silverware for the Nepean Rowing Club in the Trickett Championships this weekend. Well done.

restarted_persone

Bob McCowan (2)
Looks like UTS and SRC are the favourites for 2024 1st VIII and 2nd VIII returning rowers. SRC is renowned to have one of the best winter programs which is interesting that UTS seems to be one of the favourites for returning rowers

- The President
I heard that UTS had better prices for what they were offering as opposed to SRC. Interesting that you say SRC have one of the best winter programs, what is the reason behind this? Would you happen to know what they do differently?

The Chairman

Tom Lawton (22)
Did a bit of digging into premiership history, more about championship droughts and this is what I came up with (this one was good fun to look into)

Longest ones:
65 years - High (1959-Now)
49 years - St Ignatius (1909-1958)
47 years - King’s (1920-1967)
43 years - St Ignatius (1975-2018)
42 years - St Joseph’s (1973-2015)
41 years - Scots (1979-2020)

Longest for each school:

Shore: 24 years (1961-1985)
St Joseph’s: 42 years (1973-2015)
King’s: 47 years (1920-1967)
High: 65 years (1959-Now)
Newington: 26 years (1921-1947), (1998-Now)
Scots: 41 years (1979-2020)
St Ignatius: 49 years (1909-1958)
Grammar: 33 years (1978-2011)

Current for each school:

Shore: 5 years (2019)
St Joseph’s: 0 years (2024)
King’s: 2 years (2022)
High: 65 years (1959)
Newington: 26 years (1998)
Scots: 4 years (2020)
St Ignatius: 1 year (2023)
Grammar: 13 years (2011)

Last edited:

restarted_persone

Bob McCowan (2)
Chairman’s Crew Review: 2024 Shore First VIII

Bit of a preface here; as a Shore man myself I was very proud of how the lads went about it. Hopes werent high but they delivered.

Bow - Oliver Edwards

Moving from the First IV to the First VIII is no mean feat in one season. Edwards accomplished this, and he should be proud of it. Obviously rowing in the Four would’ve had an impact on his technique, especially towards the start of his stint. He is a compact rower, and has crisp bladework, and is able to connect with the water quickly and efficiency. However, he could improve to become an absolutely premier rower in the AAGPS if he draws up more at the finish, and is quicker with the legs upon entry of the blade. A very naturally talented rower and hard worker is within Shore’s midst it seems.

2 - Alex Smith

Smith has one of the best height-to-power ratio’s in the AAGPS. He stands at less than 6 foot, but has a very good erg time, and a sound technique. Having to make the transition from the Stroke seat earlier in the season would’ve been challenging, but it seems that he did well to adjust to life in the bow pair. Boat seemed set, if i’m being a bit picky it may be a bit down on Stroke side, but nonetheless a job well done in the bow pair. He has a very good body position off the front of the stroke, and his length of the outside arm through the front of the stroke is noticable. However, he can be prone to tapping down too much especially at high rate pieces, making himself work too hard to put the blade in and get connected with the water.

3 - Rory Hall

One of the most powerful rowers in the AAGPS, there is no doubt that Hall was critical to Shore’s success at HOTR. He has one of the best amounts of power in the competition, and was one of the chief boat movers of the Shore eight. He could further this with a more stable body position especially towards the front of the stroke, and either extending the outside arm to lock it out (which the rest of stroke side seems to do) or hold a bent position, not jolting the inside arm throughout the stroke. That being said, when you are as powerful as Hall it may not matter.

4 - Ben Muffet

The 2nd best sculler in the AAGPS, Muffet is no doubt the best rower in the Shore boat this year. He has a phenomenal sequence off the recovery and maintains his length when he comes to the front of the stroke. His leg speed is very good, with a good spring like drive at the catch. Most notably is his body rock, in which he maintains the correct angle of the body but adds about another half a foot of length with his outside arm being set admirably. The only point of contention I could find is that in high-rate pieces he can be prone to harbour bridging and drawing too low.

5 - Charlie Galligan

Brother of former First VIII member Tom, Charlie is another rower that has made significant strides technically this year. He has very good length and knows how to use it, with good bladework allowing him to use the most of his height through the drive phase and then the length of his arms towards the back end of the stroke. He’s well sequenced off the back, and has a nice arm extension coming into the front. One thing I could see him needing to work on is making sure that his shoulders remain a little bit more level, allowing for more balance of the boat in the middle.

6 - Liam Macfarlane

Macfarlane is a very talented rower, having one of the best erg times in the AAGPS. I like his patience off the back, he is one of the best in the competition at controlling his slide and being patient with the Stern pair. That being said, he could transform into one of the better on-water rowers if he was quicker with his catch. It seems that he may be lagging behind with the entry, which ultimately costs him some leg drive, which would be his greatest asset being in the 6 seat. Don’t get me wrong he is a fantastic rower, he just needs to ensure a more speedy entry of the blade and connection with the water more efficiently.

7 - Preston Scott

Having experienced very unfortunate circumstances last year, Scott came back to the 1st VIII this year and was one of the most critical rowers in the boat. He has a very good rhythm and is competent at following the Strokeman Harvey off the back. He also is one of the cleaner rowers with his bladework, with a very nice entry and connection allowing him to transfer the tempo back very nicely. He can however be prone to slouching into the catch, which tells me he would most likely experience problems with his back, and sometimes his knees do split off the line of centre, which is not ideal for the balance of the boat.

Stroke - Oliver Harvey

Its quite rare you see a Year 11 Stroke in the AAGPS, let alone at Shore. But Harvey went above and beyond with his development as a rower this season. It is clear he will be one of the premiere rowers in the AAGPS next year, and I am especially impressed by his bravery to go off that cliff at what seemed like 600 left. Technically, he has a very good body position with the back staying at a very nice angle, as well as good control of the seat. He’s efficient through the recovery phase and draws up to a good height. The one thing that I see that may need tweaking is how quickly he sets the hands (especially the straightening of the outside arm) off the finish. An exciting talent no doubt for Shore in their title charge next year.
Can you do one on Kings as well? Obviously a big ask but worth a try lol. Thanks either way.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
Just putting it out there…

Kings

We are currently seeking Expressions of Interest for skilled and dedicated Rowing Coaches to join our highly successful rowing program for the 2024/2025 season commencing in October 2024.

This is a fantastic opportunity to join an enthusiastic coaching team looking to advance our students' abilities, with the 1st VIII recently crowned winners of the Barrington Cup - the National Schoolboy VIII title.

Expressions of interest will be included in a talent pool for consideration for future roles.

To find out more, please click here: https://kingsschool.connxcareers.com/Job/Details/5a893194264a476e913dc2cf896eb64d