• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

3rd tier is back in 2014 [Discontinued]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
It should be made up of teams from:

Sunshine Coast
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Country NSW
Central Coast
Sydney City
Western Sydney
Canberra
Melbourne
Perth

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Sunshine Coast
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Country NSW
Central Coast
Sydney City
Western Sydney
Canberra
Melbourne
Perth

Ideally this would be good but a I have two queries.

1. If Sunny Coast can't produce a decent Hospital Cup team then how will they produce a good team for this kind of a comp? I think a more realistic option is having a Gold Coast team play a game or two there. It's not ideal but the concept of the "East Coast Aces" is a silly one.

2. Country NSW is unfeasible, it's too sparse and it's unrealistic to presume they'll get a good team together to play a semi-pro competition for a 2 month period. That involves a lot of guys moving a long way for a long shot and they'd likely get killed because they'd have little or no Super Rugby players. I think more realistic would be the better country players moving to Cent Coast or Sydney (where most of the better 'country' players are already playing) for the opportunity to play this level. Alternatively, you COULD have them play out Newcastle, but like I said it's asking a lot of guys.

T

Train Without a Station

en_force_er could not agree more. It should not be made up of teams from regional locations. The comp will be 90% made up of players from the 5 Super Rugby playing cities, either with the franchises or their premier grade comps... Suddenly these players are supposed to relocate to regional locations for a semi-pro comp and then the teams put up accommodation?

The players are in the city locations, as are the majority of the current and future fans and any potential commercial opportunities. It needs to be built around this. It's not the time to be "bringing the game to other regions".

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Anything been said with regards to what dates it starts and finishes?

So my PNRC (or should that be BNRC?) clubs would be:

Year One
Sydney Uni
Sunnybank
Western Sydney (Parra, Eastwood, West Harbour, Penriff)
North Harbour (Manly, Warringah, Norths, Gordon)
Sydney City (Easts, Randwick, Southern Districts)
Canberra Vikings

quote]

Like that, simple.
I like South Harbour like the old Sydney Trail days. Sydney City could get confused with the Roosters.

I'd also make a rule that if any of the rich, well to do clubs wish to stand alone in the 3rd tier, then they forfeit their right to compete in the SS or Hospital Cup or JID.

You lost me there, you've include Sydney Uni as a stand alone are they not included in the SS. Sydney Uni are unique, I've never been critical of them taking advantage of their resources. Having them stand alone in 3T as a team they'll hold there own, but the gap would only get bigger. I'd like to see them included in Western Sydney with the goal of development out west.

For the Sydney based sides (other than Sydney Uni) all games played in Sydney to be at a central venue negating the clubs having a whinge that it's not at their field. So training venues can be wherever they like, but for the combined sides for example if a weekend is Western Sydney v Sydney Uni, North Shore v Sunnybank, Sydney City v Canberra all 3 games could be played as a triple header at Parra Stadium (example only). But ideally, in year one they look to play at 10,000 seat venues so when only 4,000 show up, it's still looks ok on the telly.

Not sure - I travel to games so commuting is not my problem. I'd much rather watch a game at Granville than Parramatta Stadium, and the would be said with Rat Park / Manly over Brookvale Oval. I also understand you'd get a better crowd at 3 games than just one game.
From the beaches it would be a pain in the arse travelling every week though.
My thoughts Parra Stadium may be West, Brookvale Oval maybe North, not sure South Harbour? But instead of this comp being purely opens extend it to U21 Colts so 2 games are watched.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
According to an article by Brett Harris, Fox are offering $1m to broadcast the NRC,but are requesting a number of concession. The article doesn't mention what they are.

The ARU need to find another $2m to get the competition up. Mazda sponsored the ARC for $500k in 2007, but rugby sponsorship is pretty hard to come by at the moment.

Canberra, Perth and Melbourne will be included.

Article behind the paywall, sorry.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...x-sports-handout/story-e6frg7o6-1226769030449

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Synchronicity........

I just tried to post the same article at the same time you did and my browser crashed (lousy windows)......... anyways, a couple of snippets:

Rugby union is doing it tough for sponsorship. There was a $5m asking price for the naming rights sponsorship of the British and Irish Lions series, but it is understood DHL secured it for $1m. Super Rugby is still without a naming rights sponsor.

The NRC would be an eight to 10-team competition with sides drawn from geographical regions such as western Sydney, not necessarily Brisbane or Sydney clubs. The only certainty is that Canberra, Melbourne and Perth will be represented. Competing teams will pay a participation fee.

$1m for the Lions series?

Ouch..........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As posted in the other 3rd tier thread:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...x-sports-handout/story-e6frg7o6-1226769030449#

Pulver told journalists in Edinburgh last weekend that he was "hell bent" on creating the NRC, which would become a third-tier competition bridging the gap between club rugby and Super Rugby.

The NRC would be an eight to 10-team competition with sides drawn from geographical regions such as western Sydney, not necessarily Brisbane or Sydney clubs. The only certainty is that Canberra, Melbourne and Perth will be represented. Competing teams will pay a participation fee.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Games need to be held at rugby union grounds, paying rental fees to other codes would be a waste of money. If they are concerned that the crowds would be too big for one of the south side rugby grounds then the games can be played at Ballymore.

Sunnybank and Easts can still fit a few thousand in, I'm sure they would relish the opportunity to host such a game and sell as many hotdogs and beers as they can.

I would expect a gate fee to be charged. If it didn't cover the costs of hiring a ground then they might as well play it at suburban grounds with no gate. In my view there are a number of grounds around that host Q Cup games for TV and are good to go, so why not use them.
As for Premier Grounds Sunnybank has some design flaws. The clubhouse is too close to the field and there is very limited seating.
Easts isn't a great place to watch rugby. The stand only fits a few hundred people and then it just standing on the sideline.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
I would expect a gate fee to be charged. If it didn't cover the costs of hiring a ground then they might as well play it at suburban grounds with no gate. In my view there are a number of grounds around that host Q Cup games for TV and are good to go, so why not use them.
As for Premier Grounds Sunnybank has some design flaws. The clubhouse is too close to the field and there is very limited seating.
Easts isn't a great place to watch rugby. The stand only fits a few hundred people and then it just standing on the sideline.

If your looking for a pay at the gate suburban rugby ground I'd suggest Brothers Rugby, It is a good gated community (to keep the filthy ferals in) There's a nice sloping bank Shaw Hill & They could pack in a good little crowd. You'd only need to block off one section of the main oval.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
At the end of the day we can all sit here and say yay or nay but the thing is, is that Australian rugby is struggling for depth and struggling to keep players in the game/in the country - a 3rd tier is a must if Aus wants to remain in the top 5 nations in the world moving through the next 5,10,15 years....

ARU are not going to profit from this within the next 4,5,6 seasons prob - but I dont think thats the point - Pulver can see long term that this will 1. make them ALOT more money and 2. Grow the game in Aus (which of course is linked to no.1)

ARU have had a terrible game plan moving into the professional era - prob the worst of any of the top nations - thankfully we have had some very natrually talented rugby players that have carried us this far but over the last 3,4,5 years crack have shown and really only the last 5 months has the national team looked any good.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
What is the suitability of QE II stadium for a Brisbane south team? Probably wouldn't be great for spectators or cost but new infrastructure and busways almost done right on it's doorstep.
Also much closer to home so I would be a lot more likely to get to games than Ballymore.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I note this morning that there is talk again of moving the mid year inbound test window to after the end of the S15 and adding an extra test to the calendar as the ARU needs the income. I know I said I wasn't going to comment any further until the ARU tells us their plans but I will just add one further comment: SHOW ME THE MONEY !!!

B

BellyTwoBlues

Anything been said with regards to what dates it starts and finishes?

NOTHING that I'm aware of Dave.

As for Uni standing alone, it's my belief that if they aren't standing alone then it won't get up. And let's have a look at the positions of influence Uni friendly people hold in Australian Rugby. Chairman ARU, CEO ARU, Chairman NSWRU just to start. They'll get what they want.

Excluding stand alone clubs from 3rd tier in my belief will ultimately make the SS a fairer and more even competition, thus creating competition for places in the 3rd tier teams etc. Sunnybank, Vikings are there for their cash and corporate connections. I like your suggestion of calling the Sydney City side South Harbour.

As for playing at either Granville or Rat Park or whatever SS venue, it gives that host club an unfair advantage for recruitment etc. Plus with the tribalism and in some cases extreme rivalry that exists between clubs, I just cannot see for example, Manly agreeing that the North Harbour games be played at Rat Park.

Also, my suggestion of central venues was, as indicated an example. One week it may just be out west. The next time round it may be at Brookie Oval as you suggested. Hell, one week it may even be at Kogarah Jubilee. By all means move it around. Stir up the local interest. Get the press interested. We all know where that will lead to. But it's also my opinion, and this is only my opinion, that one of the issues with ARC was that they had to pay ground hire for the larger venues at Gosford, Parra Stadium, NSO that hold upwards of 20,000 people. In the case of the semi final at Gosford (or was it the final), the crowd was only 1500. It looked awful on the box. Despite it being a farely decent game.

Anyway, these are just my suggestions and in the words of the ARU, what would I know? I'll have NO say in what is determined, will support the concept when it's up and running, but will also provide both wanted an unwanted critique of what works and what didn't if it ultimately gets Super Rugby Championships, Bledisloe Cup, RWC titles back into our trophy cabinets.

B

BellyTwoBlues

At the end of the day we can all sit here and say yay or nay but the thing is, is that Australian rugby is struggling for depth and struggling to keep players in the game/in the country - a 3rd tier is a must if Aus wants to remain in the top 5 nations in the world moving through the next 5,10,15 years..

ARU are not going to profit from this within the next 4,5,6 seasons prob - but I dont think thats the point - Pulver can see long term that this will 1. make them ALOT more money and 2. Grow the game in Aus (which of course is linked to no.1)

ARU have had a terrible game plan moving into the professional era - prob the worst of any of the top nations - thankfully we have had some very natrually talented rugby players that have carried us this far but over the last 3,4,5 years crack have shown and really only the last 5 months has the national team looked any good.

5 months?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Sunshine Coast
Brisbane
Gold Coast
Country NSW
Central Coast
Sydney City
Western Sydney
Canberra
Melbourne
Perth

The Gold Coast is not viable, neither is the Central Coast. Possibly a NSW Country team, but again, not sure that it would be viable.

The Gold Coast is a graveyard for professional sporting franchises, just have a look at the record. When the ARC was being launched, there was an attempt to have a lunch at a Gold Coast venue (similar events were held elsewhere). Not a single table was sold. Not one.

The Central Coast? The Mariners are on the verge of relocating to Sydney, and they are a very successful franchise in a very successful league. No sponsors, small crowds......no way.

NSW Country would have to be heavily subsidised, and would never, ever pay for itself. No sponsors, for sure, and small crowds. An occasional game by one of the Sydney teams in Newcastle would be a good idea, however.

B

BellyTwoBlues

I like some of your ideas.

However, I assume that the rationale of putting teams in Perth and Melbourne from the outset is to accelerate the pace of growth (in interest, support, and sponsorship) - it would be a gamble, no doubt about it.

However, the competition has to appear attractive to the broadcaster and potential sponsors so a gamble is worth taking. Incidentally, the VFL (as it was then) was motivated primarily by the interest shown by advertisers if the game went national - the game did go national, and the results are obvious. I am not saying that we can achieve anything like they have, but the principle applies. National brands want a national product to sponsor and to carry advertising.

The teams chosen have to have some sort of potential connection with supporters and viewers (at the ground, and on the box). That rules out some of the names you have proposed.

I understand that, but the fact is that through the mismanagement of finances at both the Rebels and Force, the entire country is suffering because the ARU are using $10 million a year to cover it. People have lost their jobs, programs have been cut, support of grass roots has been all but removed to prop up those two franchises. If there's a sponsor willing to throw financial support behind a 3rd tier team from Perth and Melbourne, then surely that sponsor would get more ROI by sponsoring Force or Rebels.

My fear is that if they allow teams from Perth and Melbourne into the 3rd tier, it is showing Force and Rebels officials that spending like drunken sailors is permitted, because ultimately, we all know ARU will also be funding the two 3rd tier teams.

It is insane.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
NSW County is not possible, we have to accept that.

If the league is to be kept semi-pro (at best) blokes can't relocate 7 hours drive across a province for 2 months of the year. Most of the country rep players are already living in the city and a NSW Country team would likely have no Super Rugby players playing for them (at least willingly).

Now, should we come up with a system to allow the better couple of country-based players to relocate to the city for the period? Sure, perhaps the coach could give them couch privileges. Maybe the ARU could even incentivise them with financial bonuses. But there's simply no precedent or working model for a whole team like this to work in anything more than a carnival-type tournament.

The only possible way I could think to work this is to base the team out of Sydney (for training and admin purposes) and have them play games across country NSW. That could work.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If your looking for a pay at the gate suburban rugby ground I'd suggest Brothers Rugby, It is a good gated community (to keep the filthy ferals in) There's a nice sloping bank Shaw Hill & They could pack in a good little crowd. You'd only need to block off one section of the main oval.

I was referring to a Brisbane South team. I would expect the North team to play out of Ballymore but the Filth could be an option.
My suggestion of Easts Leagues was about size and location of venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.