• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

6 Nations 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
I'm looking forward to it. I'm not optimistic from a national point of view, but there are many interesting issues knocking about at the moment. Just off the top of my head:
  • Will Paulie's return give Ireland the lift we want?
  • Will wonderboy Henson's return change things for Wales?
  • Will the tournament be the start of the dreaded Pom resurgence?
  • How will the Poms go without Lawes? Will Deacon's reintroduction change things?
  • Was France's autumn form just a flash in the pan?
  • Who will play fullback for Ireland with Kearney (what a shame...) and Murphy injured?
  • Will Scotland learn how to attack? How will those Killer B's go this time?
  • Will Italian players like Gonzalo Garcia and Alessandro Zanni show the encouraging form they showed last year? Does Parisse's reintroduction change anything for the Azzurri?
  • Can Ireland learn to scrummage?

I'm sure there's more than those points to consider as well.

M

macg101

I'm looking forward to it. I'm not optimistic from a national point of view, but there are many interesting issues knocking about at the moment. Just off the top of my head:
  • Will Paulie's return give Ireland the lift we want? Sure Thing
  • Will wonderboy Henson's return change things for Wales?Certainly will help our cause if they throw a guy who doesn't deserve his place into the national set up
  • Will the tournament be the start of the dreaded Pom resurgence?Not as good as Nov but they will be back to some level of irritation
  • How will the Poms go without Lawes? Will Deacon's reintroduction change things? Prob will suffer
  • Was France's autumn form just a flash in the pan?You know it!
  • Who will play fullback for Ireland with Kearney (what a shame...) and Murphy injured?Fitzy? with Earls on the wing?
  • Will Scotland learn how to attack? How will those Killer B's go this time? not as good hopefuly from our perspective
  • Will Italian players like Gonzalo Garcia and Alessandro Zanni show the encouraging form they showed last year? Does Parisse's reintroduction change anything for the Azzurri?Should be going ok, maybe second last?
  • Can Ireland learn to scrummage?Don't make me laugh!

I'm sure there's more than those points to consider as well.

M

macg101

Thinking of maybe the Ireland France or England game, perhaps venturing to Cardiff this year too.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Backing England all he way. They have steadily improved and have more upside in them than any of the other teams. France will be up and down, Ireland don't have much improvement in them and Wales will be average with the usual added pre-match bravado.

With England I can see a plan that started here in Sydney and the pieces are starting to come together. Lawes is a massive loss but there are soke decent locks running around.

Apparently England have a new purpose built training facility unlike anything ever seen. Anyone know more about it?

M

macg101

But your putting far too much emphasise on the performances of Eng against yourselves... stop it!

Wales and France will be better, and if you watched any of Leinsters games this year you would realise the capacity of this Irish team! November was about 50% of how well they can play and I'm not one for bragging so don't make me do it any more..

please observe.. http://www.rte.ie/sport/livestreaming/rugby.html

B

Bod

Wales v England on a Friday evening in a boiling Millenium Stadium will be the best test for Lurch's starting XV!
I think Gatland often manages to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and it looks like all of his first choice players are now fit.
Given the consistency of Wales' AI cock-ups when they were the best rugby playing 6N team, if they haven't sorted that out
now then they deserve to get shafted by England.
Wales, Ireland, France, England, Italy, Scotland.

M

macg101

I know they were a mess in Nov but France are absolute class and will sort it out... I sure hope they don't though!

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think any other team would suffer after the loss that France had to the Wallabies but the French seem to put little focus on their last result and if they put their best team on the field will win the 6N.

M

macg101

Ireland squad

Backs: Tommy Bowe (Ospreys), Gordon D'Arcy (Landowne - Leinster), Gavin Duffy (Galwegians - Connacht), Keith Earls (Thomond - Munster), Luke Fitzgerald (Blackrock - Leinster), Shane Horgan (Boyne - Leinster), Ronan O' Gara (Cork Constitution - Munster), Brian O'Driscoll (UCD - Leinster), Eoin Reddan (Landowne - Leinster), Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College - Leinster), Peter Stringer (Shannon - Munster), Andrew Trimble (Ballymena - Ulster), Paddy Wallace (Ballymena - Ulster)

Forwards: Rory Best (Banbridge - Ulster), Tom Court (Malone - Ulster), Sean Cronin (Buccaneers - Connacht), Leo Cullen (Blackrock - Leinster), Stephen Ferris (Dungannon - Ulster), Jerry Flannery (Shannon - Munster), John Hayes (Bruff - Munster), Cian Healy (Clontarf - Leinster), Jamie Heaslip (Naas - Leinster), Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College - Leinster), Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution - Munster), Mike McCarthy (Buccaneers - Connacht), Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution - Munster), Paul O'Connell (Young Munster - Munster), Sean O'Brien (Clontarf - Leinster), Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution - Munster), Michael Ross (Clontarf - Leinster), Rhys Ruddock (St. Mary's College - Leinster), David Wallace (Garryowen - Munster)

Fixtures

M

macg101

France squad:

Forwards (16): Nicolas Mas (Perpignan), Thomas Domingo (Clermont), Luc Ducalcon (Castres), Sylvain Marconnet (Biarritz), William Servat (Toulouse), Guilhem Guirado Guirado (Perpignan), Lionel Nallet (Racing-Métro), Julien Pierre (Clermont), Jerome Thion (Biarritz), Pascale Papé (Stade Français), Thierry Dusautoir (Stade Toulousain, cap.), Julien Bonnaire (Clermont), Fulgence Ouedraogo (Montpellier), Sebastien Chabal (Racing-Métro), Alexandre Lapandry (Clermont), Imanol Harinordoquy (Biarritz).

Backs (14): Morgan Parra (Clermont), Dimitri Yachvili (Biarritz), François Trinh-Duc (Montpellier), DamienTraille (Biarritz), David Skrela (Toulouse), Yannick Jauzion (Toulouse), Maxime Mermoz (Perpignan), David Marty (Perpignan), Aurélien Rougerie (Clermont), Vincent Clerc (Toulouse), Alexis Palisson (Brive), Maxime Médard (Toulouse), Yohan Huget (Bayonne), Clerment Poitrenaud (Toulouse).

M

macg101

Scotland squad for training camp at St Andrews beginning Monday, January 24:

Backs: Joe Ansbro (Northampton Saints), Mike Blair (Edinburgh), Jack Cuthbert (Bath), Simon Danielli (Ulster), Nick De Luca (Edinburgh), Max Evans (Glasgow Warriors), Alex Grove (Worcester Warriors), Ruaridh Jackson (Glasgow Warriors), Greig Laidlaw (Edinburgh), Rory Lamont (Toulon), Sean Lamont (Scarlets), Rory Lawson (Gloucester), Dan Parks (Cardiff Blues), Chris Paterson (Edinburgh), Hugo Southwell (Stade Francais) and Nikki Walker (Ospreys).

Forwards: John Barclay, Johnnie Beattie (both Glasgow Warriors), Kelly Brown (Saracens), Geoff Cross, Ross Ford (both Edinburgh), Richie Gray, Dougie Hall, Robert Harley (all Glasgow Warriors), Nathan Hines (Leinster), Allan Jacobsen (Edinburgh), Alastair Kellock (Glasgow Warriors), Scott Lawson (Gloucester), Moray Low (Glasgow Warriors), Scott MacLeod (Edinburgh), Euan Murray (Newcastle Falcons), Ross Rennie (Edinburgh) and Richie Vernon and Jon Welsh (both Glasgow Warriors).

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Gatland's stirring things up again:

http://www.espnscrum.com/sixnations2011/rugby/story/133024.html

Can't say the picture at the top of the article didn't bring a smile to my face.

On a more serious note, I think this kind of behaviour from a national coach is somewhat unprofessional and against the spirit of the game (even if Hartley is the emodiment of being against the spirit of the game). And the fact that it is Hartley does not mitigate Rees' trangressions either, despite the obvious irony.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Fantastic (it's ironic!) French team announced today by Marc Lievremont.
Domingo-Servat-Mas
Nallet-Pierre
Dusautoir-Harinordoquy-Bonnaire
Parre-Trinh Duc
Medard-Mermoz-Rougerie-Huget
Traille

Still a shit backine except Maxime Medard who deserves to be here.
Apparently Traille, Rougerie and Huget were good against the Wallabies.
Clerc and Jauzion droped from the team.
Lievremont is really a dickhead... and unfortunately I bought tickets before seing the team!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
How could you name Chabal to start over Harinordoquy, when Harinordoquy's form is great (the Aussie test)

Then wait till Harinordoquy is playing out of position and not particularly well and Chabal is playing up a storm then drop him (line-up above).

Crazy.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Ireland for Italy are up:

1. Cian Healy
2. Rory Best
3. Mike Ross
4. Donncha O'Callaghan
5. Paul O'Connell
6. Denis Leamy
7. David Wallace
8. Sean O'Brien
9. Tomas O'Leary
10. Jonathan Sexton
11. Keith Earls
12. Gordon D'Arcy
13. Brian O'Driscoll (capt.)
14. Fergus McFadden
15. Luke Fitzgerald

Reps:
16. Sean Cronin
17. Tom Court
18. Leo Cullen
19. Shane Jennings
20. Eoin Reddan
21. Ronan O'Gara
22. Paddy Wallace

(The injured are: John Hayes, Tommy Bowe, Rob Kearney, Andrew Trimble, Jamie Heaslip, Stephen Ferris and Geordan Murphy)

Nice to see SonOfaBitch's good form rewarded. Mike Ross is supposedly the one Irish tighthead who can scrummage, the Azzurri will be only too happy to find out whether that's true.

On the downside, Best and TOL really shouldn't be starting at the moment and what do we do if one of the outside backs goes down? It would make more sense to me to have a Johne Murphy or Fionn Carr on the bench instead of one of P.Wallace or ROG.

Status
Not open for further replies.