• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

6N Ireland v Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Trimbles defence was monsterous. What worries me is neither Schmidt nor cement seem to have learned lessons of rwc and rethought attack

I thought Ireland played with the ball in hand a lot more than the RWC, the tactical kicking was not a big part of the Irish game.

Tackles Wales 165 Ireland 170, shows both teams kept the ball in hand and defended well.

Was the best of the three games on the weekend.

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
Wales played just like they did in the world cup, and for the previous 8 years, battering ram rugby.

I thought Ireland played with the ball more than in previous years, but seemed to have copied Wales attacking strategy a bit... Maybe a bit wider than Wales but was still try to run over them.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Irish pack is wilting. Toner playing a blinder tho. Zebo is a mistake at fb. Henshaw or Trimble motm so far. God I'm glad foxy is back

Just went through the game again quickly, and Toner did have a good game. Played sharp, really heads-up, broke up loose ball and deflected kicks, and he carried well -- 18 meters on 4 carries, vs. Wyn Jones 13 meters on 14 carries.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Bloody hell the centres bashed six shades of shit out of each other. Wales still using the wingers as decoration. Lloyd Williams not v good. Priestland v composed other than two brain fart drop goal attempt. Foxy brilliant. Roberts too. Warbs forced to play lydiate game. Toby awesome. Tips too. All in all 6/10. Ireland defence v good

Lydiate is a better Lydiate than Warburton, but Tipuric might be the best openside in the Northern Hemisphere. That's a conundrum, because you can't really take out your captain.

Roberts had a target on Henshaw all game, and Henshaw took it. Payne coordinated the backline defense very well, and that seemed to help contain the Welsh centers. Jonathan Davies has clever hands, though, especially on defense.

Just on reflection, it's the tackles in this game that stood out for me. Big, meaty hits, most of them perfectly timed and placed. Earls upending Liam Williams, and who was the other? Trimble planting AWJ and knocking the ball loose with the hit, and Roberts doing the same to Henshaw. Like Best said after the game, sore, sore bodies.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Interesting game, think you were a bit harsh on Zebo. He was not given a lot of opportunity to run but when he did looked very dangerous. Roberts robbed for MOTM, CJ was good but if I had to pick a Irish played McGrath did an incredible amount of work for a prop.

Trimble did not get his hands on the ball at all that I can remember, think Ireland were lucky to hold on but with all the injuries a draw is a good result. I don't think either of these teams will lose to the other 4 from what I have watched this weekend.

Hate to Agree, but Wilko was good up in the box.

Trimble had 9 carries and one clean break, but he turned over some ball as well (4). Need to look at those again, but I hope that doesn't relegate him to the bench, because his defense was key. He and Tom James shut each other down, but Wales defense was as good as anyone's this weekend.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Trimbles defence was monsterous. What worries me is neither Schmidt nor cement seem to have learned lessons of rwc and rethought attack

Wales seemed to play the same game, except with two opensides, but Ireland definitely changed up a few things. First, they kicked far, far less than they're known for -- they had the fewest kicks from hand of any team this weekend. By the 60th minute, they hadn't chipped, grubbered and sent I think only one cross-kick into the air. And Sexton didn't get up into the front lines as much as he has in the past, which may be a protective measure. They seemed to use that extra space to change the point of attack quite a bit (but they did that in the WC as well).

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wales seemed to play the same game, except with two opensides, but Ireland definitely changed up a few things. First, they kicked far, far less than they're known for -- they had the fewest kicks from hand of any team this weekend. By the 60th minute, they hadn't chipped, grubbered and sent I think only one cross-kick into the air. And Sexton didn't get up into the front lines as much as he has in the past, which may be a protective measure. They seemed to use that extra space to change the point of attack quite a bit (but they did that in the WC as well).
Strue. Never seen sexton pass so much. Centres got hammered by Jamie the jaw tho. Hopefully England will give them a bit more space

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Wales played just like they did in the world cup, and for the previous 8 years, battering ram rugby.

I thought Ireland played with the ball more than in previous years, but seemed to have copied Wales attacking strategy a bit. Maybe a bit wider than Wales but was still try to run over them.
I hope Both sides should've put short kicks behind the centres just to put some doubt in the mind of the flying centres

Status
Not open for further replies.