• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

A Proposal For A New Third Tier Competition In Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Here's throwing something out there - what about a sevens series? State/franchise teams meet once every few weeks for a carnival. Maybe where-ever there's a Super bye.

Cuts down on player costs, travel costs, helps for Rio, probably more marketable.

Yeah, good idea Stu.
'Cept I hate sevens
(And its all about me)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Here's throwing something out there - what about a sevens series? State/franchise teams meet once every few weeks for a carnival. Maybe where-ever there's a Super bye.

Cuts down on player costs, travel costs, helps for Rio, probably more marketable.

Yeah, good idea Stu.
Funny you should say that Stu. Had similar thoughts myself, but played over summer. Started putting a very basic white paper together to explore the concept with the intention of sending through to the ARU. I'm out of my depth but plugging away.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Na it's ok, I don't like it either (which is to say I'll still watch it over pretty much anything other than 15s)
The Olympics may change my mind: that should open AFL & NRL people's eyes to our game and some of what it offers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Troy

Jim Clark (26)
You should try going to the GC 7's, watching it live is a very different experience to watching it on the box.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Funny you should say that Stu. Had similar thoughts myself, but played over summer. Started putting a very basic white paper together to explore the concept with the intention of sending through to the ARU. I'm out of my depth but plugging away.
There is talk of a 7's Series being run next summer. It would take in the existing tournaments and points would be allocated for results like the IRB 7's series. I see quite a bit of merit in it as it wouldn't cost to much to set up and it would probably make some of the tournaments more viable. Hopefully the ARU would provide some marketing too so that more people come out to watch.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)

I reckon it's a winner. Sevens is a cracking live sport (though I believe it doesn't telecast well - or maybe we just don't know how to telecast it yet - either way, existing rugby telecast methods don't really suit it) and I think we could get a good series out of it.

Apart from keeping state players in the system, preparing for Rio and having a product for bye weeks/post-season, I reckon it'd be a great event to take to Adelaide/Tasmania/up north etc. Keep them happy.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I agree Stu. If they do go down the track of a 7's series I think that they should incorporate the current tournaments like Noosa, Byron, Darwin, Central Coast etc and add tournaments in Melbourne, Tassie and Adelaide. Have a 8-10 tournament series with maybe 10 core teams and then open up the other spots to local or invitational teams.
I'd also love to see the ARU broadcast it on a internet TV channel. They could secure sponsors and also make it free for people to watch as long as they register for it. It would build a database on interested people to promote the game to.
If the internet channel worked they could have Premier/Shute games on demand on it too as well as schoolboy and rep games. If they have enough good content then they could go to Fox with the idea of a rugby channel.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I agree Stu. If they do go down the track of a 7's series I think that they should incorporate the current tournaments like Noosa, Byron, Darwin, Central Coast etc and add tournaments in Melbourne, Tassie and Adelaide. Have a 8-10 tournament series with maybe 10 core teams and then open up the other spots to local or invitational teams.
I'd also love to see the ARU broadcast it on a internet TV channel. They could secure sponsors and also make it free for people to watch as long as they register for it. It would build a database on interested people to promote the game to.
If the internet channel worked they could have Premier/Shute games on demand on it too as well as schoolboy and rep games. If they have enough good content then they could go to Fox with the idea of a rugby channel.

Bingo. I've had this thought for a while now. Why not look to establish a web based subscription TV channel of the likes of what the NBL has done. Set it up to cover the above proposed 7s concept both Shute and Premier Rugby (2 games each weekly) and ACT Rugby (1 game). Schoolboys from NSW and Qld. Use the platform as a means to launch (and primarily fund) a re-launch of a ARC like competition and perhaps even a Universities Championship ocncept. Then chase some left of field international content like the Top League out of Japan (from the little footage I have seen that's actually a very entertaining league) and such.

I see it as a potential windfall for the game in terms of its financial perspective. As if you were able to garner enough interest it could become a reasonable option to broadcast Super Rugby from. With the recent deal Ten, this set up as a secondary subscription channel could provide a greater level of funding for the game and the network if it were set up at a reasonable price.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
If you look at it a "Rugby" channel would make a lot of sense. There is a heap of content that would keep people interested for 12 months of the year. If you had the rights to Heineken Cup, Premiership, Top 14, Rabo Direct Cup, ITM Cup, Currie Cup, Super Rugby, 6 Nations, Rugby Championship, IRB 7's, Spring and Autumn tours you would have more than enough content. Then you could add Shute and Premier Rugby, National Schoolboy champs, Aust Schoolboy games, JRWC etc. Also there would be a platform to promote Women's rugby too.
A national comp would then make more sense in terms of commercial viability.
If you look at the states some of the College conferences have their own channels on cable tv. I think it can be justified as something worth doing.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If you look at it a "Rugby" channel would make a lot of sense. There is a heap of content that would keep people interested for 12 months of the year. If you had the rights to Heineken Cup, Premiership, Top 14, Rabo Direct Cup, ITM Cup, Currie Cup, Super Rugby, 6 Nations, Rugby Championship, IRB 7's, Spring and Autumn tours you would have more than enough content. Then you could add Shute and Premier Rugby, National Schoolboy champs, Aust Schoolboy games, JRWC etc. Also there would be a platform to promote Women's rugby too.
A national comp would then make more sense in terms of commercial viability.
If you look at the states some of the College conferences have their own channels on cable tv. I think it can be justified as something worth doing.

Absolutely. However, I just don't think Fox has the inclination to do so from a subscription point of view to be honest. That's why I see promise in a partnership with Ten. Both organisations need to explore new revenue streams and I think a subscription based channel on the digital FTA bandwidth could be a real winner.

mr pls

Allen Oxlade (6)
Australia need something like this. Its ridiculous seeing players go straight from club to super rugby. Bring the Australian rugby championships back I say.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Most would have read this on today's News Ltd websites today:
AUSTRALIAN rugby's long-awaited third-tier competition may be in the pipeline, with the Rugby Union Players Association actively promoting a national under-23 competition based around nine major universities.
It advocates an 18-week national inter-varsity rugby competition based on nine universities - three each in Sydney and Brisbane supplemented by a university in Melbourne, Canberra and Perth with each side having 25 contracted players. The bulk of their squads would be made up of players currently in the two national academies and the five Super Rugby franchises' academies, supplemented by players from the local club competitions.

The Waratahs, Western Force, Brumbies, Reds and Rebels each would enter into licencing agreements with the universities to use their attached varsity sides as feeder academies that would offer players educational opportunities as likely as not on scholarships.

The major benefit for the universities, apart from dramatically raising branding and other commercial opportunities, is that their underutilised training grounds and facilities would be put to better use, while the universities and their students would have ready access to a semi-professional sporting organisation across a range of disciplines.
To be frank I'd be happy with a 3rd tier of any form.

At a guess I'd expect the Universities to be:
  1. Sydney University
  2. Western Sydney University
  3. UNSW or Macquarie
  4. Canberra University
  5. Melbourne University
  6. University of WA
  7. University of Queensland
  8. Bond University
  9. Another Queensland ?
Positives:

• It's a third tier!There is nothing else like it in Australia (point of difference/competitive advantage?)
  • Some Universities already have strong rugby programs
  • U23 allows us to develop the talent
  • Not trying to invent franchise names, leverage the Universities' brand
  • The Universities have sport science facilities to help develop the conditioning/rehab side of the game
  • Training facilities/ovals already available
  • It's an 18 week comp so theoretically if it's starts earlier enough in the year, these players can return to club rugby
  • Encourages players to get a tertiary education
  • Rugby players who play u20 Toyota cup may come back to rugby and play u23
Negatives:

• Sydney Uni and UQ may take more of the developing talent and dominate club rugby more than they currently do
  • Some positions (i.e. Front row) may still be developing after 22 years of age
  • A varsity tournament may further cement the elitist stereotype of rugby
I believe club rugby is crucial for Australian rugby. I hope that this model can work symbiotically with club rugby and help develop the game across all senior levels.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Most would have read this on today's News Ltd websites today:

To be frank I'd be happy with a 3rd tier of any form.

At a guess I'd expect the Universities to be:
  1. Sydney University
  2. Western Sydney University
  3. UNSW or Macquarie
  4. Canberra University
  5. Melbourne University
  6. University of WA
  7. University of Queensland
  8. Bond University
  9. Another Queensland ?
Positives:

• It's a third tier!There is nothing else like it in Australia (point of difference/competitive advantage?)
  • Some Universities already have strong rugby programs
  • U23 allows us to develop the talent
  • Not trying to invent franchise names, leverage the Universities' brand
  • The Universities have sport science facilities to help develop the conditioning/rehab side of the game
  • Training facilities/ovals already available
  • It's an 18 week comp so theoretically if it's starts earlier enough in the year, these players can return to club rugby
  • Encourages players to get a tertiary education
  • Rugby players who play u20 Toyota cup may come back to rugby and play u23
Negatives:

• Sydney Uni and UQ may take more of the developing talent and dominate club rugby more than they currently do
  • A varsity tournament may further cement the elitist stereotype of rugby
I believe club rugby is crucial for Australian rugby. I hope that this model can work symbiotically with club rugby and help develop the game across all senior levels.

This makes so much sense its not remotely funny. Something that has been desperately needed for a long-long time. Hopefully it comes to fruition. As for the NSW based Uni's. I'd suggest the University of Wollongong. Has the facilities and the inclination to fund such a program. Heavily interested in building its brand recognition and favours taking a gamble on these concepts.

Also, I really like the 18 week competition format. Would provide young Rugby players with the ability to develop with sufficient game time.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
I think many years ago in the RL there was an under 23's comp, but I think you could play 2 or 3 players over that age. An exemption for props/hookers to be u25 might be a solution

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Not really.
over 23's who still want to play rugby but aren't yet at super rugby level would still play club rugby.
players who aren't at uni or contracted to a super rugby team would not partake, and would still play club rugby.
players who still want to play but aren't looking to make a career out of rugby would still play club rugby.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I'd add Griffith Uni as the 3rd Qld University but QUT might be interested too. It will be interested to see if any Uni's are associated with rugby programs currently, apart from Sydney Uni and UQ.

I guess with a CEO that has a strong history in University Sport this was going to be an option for RUPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.