• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACTJRU U18 & ACT Schools XV 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiky Beaver

Bob McCowan (2)
I cant believe what has happened down there at Marist. For the 2nds to get a hiding like this from any side is shocking. Whilst memories are fading with time, once upon a time this would never have happened or been tolerated. It seems an attitude problem exists which given the high levels of participation in rugby still at the school should be nipped in the butt before kids start dropping out to play other sports on offer. Frankly as someone who is an ex-student, player and parent I am embarrassed by the lack of commitment from both players and coaching staff.

Angry dog have you considered that maybe times change? Whilst I admire your sense of school pride, I think you're holding an extraordinarily narrow minded view towards the ambitions of kids in this modern era. If the kids do not want to play rugby why should they? Because a certain 'angrydog' placed a high value on tradition in some online forum? Marist excels in almost all sporting fields from basketball to athletics to chess to arm-wrestling. Just because it hasn't been their year this year on the rugby field, it doesn't mean a fresh wave of kids won't come through in the next couple of years.

It is good to see you acknowledging the likes of the Daramalan and Grammar boys, but there's no need to put down the Marist culture and coaching staff just because they're not winning games.

In fact, your irrational bias begs the question, are you a CURRENT schoolboy at Marist?????

Aurora Australis

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ah SB you are the new kid on the block here. Angry Dog has been around long enough to be bitter about Eddies performances in the 90s
you may have missed some of his more visceral rantings leading up to the finals of the Waratah Shield last year and how ready he was to put those feelings aside as clubs started to lose interest in the ACT comp last year

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Angry dog have you considered that maybe times change? Whilst I admire your sense of school pride, I think you're holding an extraordinarily narrow minded view towards the ambitions of kids in this modern era. If the kids do not want to play rugby why should they? Because a certain 'angrydog' placed a high value on tradition in some online forum? Marist excels in almost all sporting fields from basketball to athletics to chess to arm-wrestling. Just because it hasn't been their year this year on the rugby field, it doesn't mean a fresh wave of kids won't come through in the next couple of years.

It is good to see you acknowledging the likes of the Daramalan and Grammar boys, but there's no need to put down the Marist culture and coaching staff just because they're not winning games.

In fact, your irrational bias begs the question, are you a CURRENT schoolboy at Marist?????

No one should have to play rugby at all. In fact, as you point out the school does enjoy success in many fields and all I am saying that if success does not take place on the rugby field kids may chose to look elsewhere for a winter sport. This would be a shame for rugby itself.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ah SB you are the new kid on the block here. Angry Dog has been around long enough to be bitter about Eddies performances in the 90s
you may have missed some of his more visceral rantings leading up to the finals of the Waratah Shield last year and how ready he was to put those feelings aside as clubs started to lose interest in the ACT comp last year

The 90's (early 90's) in fact were good times indeed for Marist and it was a period where Marist really had the wood on eddies over a sustained period. Oh the glory days. My association with Marist for your information goes back much further than that though but I do have fond memories of the 90's and late 80's when Marist reigned supreme.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Angry dog - what vintage are you from Marist ? I went there from 1988 to 1992 (albeit a young tacker) . I have vivid memories of Joe Roff etc al winning the Waratah Shield against Stannies.

I am also an ex Dara student too - and dara were always the perenial whipping boys until the Aaron Hardcastle/Coonan era kicked into gear in 1995 and 1996. Then when the school went completely co-ed their rugby suffered as numbers dropped in male enrolements. Good to see they are having a real crack this year.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Found this result on the ISA pages

Wood Rat said:
St Augustines and Marist exchanged tries over the first 15 mintesat the end of that Augustines lead 17 12​
1/2 time 29-12​
full time 69/12​
wow, that's a thrashing. What were the differences in the sides that saw Marist get flogged by so much?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Angry dog - what vintage are you from Marist ? I went there from 1988 to 1992 (albeit a young tacker) . I have vivid memories of Joe Roff etc al winning the Waratah Shield against Stannies.

I am also an ex Dara student too - and dara were always the perenial whipping boys until the Aaron Hardcastle/Coonan era kicked into gear in 1995 and 1996. Then when the school went completely co-ed their rugby suffered as numbers dropped in male enrolements. Good to see they are having a real crack this year.

Hey mate, student/player late 70's early 80',s, staff/coach late 80's and 90's, parent/coach/supporter 2000's. I remember all those names and events you mentioned, they were good days. The ASC was well and truly alive and kicking.

Darra and St Pats had some great teams in the 70's and early 80's before Eddies emerged into the super power they are today under Br Bob Wallace in the late 70's and 80's. Marist have had some really good teams in each decade I have been involved but without a doubt the early 90's and late 80's were their golden age.

Your right that co-ed enrolments affected Dara and Pats and their rugby suffered somewhat since. I am hearing good things out of Dara though that they are making a concerted effort to improve coaching and raise the standards again. Grammar have really raised their standards over the past few years and last years premiership is testimony to that. As I said, its all good for ACT rugby and player development, I really wish Marist rugby would get more support from the school itself. Given that it still has the highest participation level of any sport offered there it gets little support from the school and relies heavily on the efforts of parents and supporters. After the glory days of the 90's some felt that rugby had too high a profile and gradually rugby was pushed back so that other sports felt loved aswell. The side affect is that other sports have emerged and been very successful but rugby is still a little taboo and not given any special treatment.

Daniel Denton

Stan Wickham (3)
Found this result on the ISA pages

Wood Rat said:
St Augustines and Marist exchanged tries over the first 15 mintesat the end of that Augustines lead 17 12​
1/2 time 29-12​
full time 69/12​
wow, that's a thrashing. What were the differences in the sides that saw Marist get flogged by so much?

It was a similar story when Dara faced Auggies. The score at half time was 19-8.. Full-time score was 72-8. No doubt St Augustine's are a quality school but the difference shouldn't be so large. Extra training/development may prove to be part of the answer, but it seems the boys probably just gave up when the score began blowing out. I wouldn't have expected Marist to win, but they should be getting closer than that!

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Hey mate, student/player late 70's early 80',s, staff/coach late 80's and 90's, parent/coach/supporter 2000's. I remember all those names and events you mentioned, they were good days. The ASC was well and truly alive and kicking.

Darra and St Pats had some great teams in the 70's and early 80's before Eddies emerged into the super power they are today under Br Bob Wallace in the late 70's and 80's. Marist have had some really good teams in each decade I have been involved but without a doubt the early 90's and late 80's were their golden age.

Your right that co-ed enrolments affected Dara and Pats and their rugby suffered somewhat since. I am hearing good things out of Dara though that they are making a concerted effort to improve coaching and raise the standards again. Grammar have really raised their standards over the past few years and last years premiership is testimony to that. As I said, its all good for ACT rugby and player development, I really wish Marist rugby would get more support from the school itself. Given that it still has the highest participation level of any sport offered there it gets little support from the school and relies heavily on the efforts of parents and supporters. After the glory days of the 90's some felt that rugby had too high a profile and gradually rugby was pushed back so that other sports felt loved aswell. The side affect is that other sports have emerged and been very successful but rugby is still a little taboo and not given any special treatment.

Ye that really surprises me as Rugby was sacred when I was at Marist.

I also remember watching Marist play St Pats strathfield in the final of the waratah shield in 1996 - the infamous full time whilstle with marist thinking they had won - only to be brought back to a touchie flag in an earlier infringment - the pats kicker (who had been kicking shit all day) decided to nail a difficult one after the siren ... edge of the seat stuff.
If I remember rightly it was one P.Whitehead who made the infingment ... bet he still has nightmares to this day!

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
Grammar has just beaten Eddies 19-17. Grammar had been up 19-5 with not long left so probably quite lucky to get out of that one with a win in the end.

The Bandit

Frank Row (1)
Grammar were much better than Eddies today, Eddies were lucky to get so close in the end with Grammar indiscipline letting Eddies back into the game. Highlight of the game would have been, the Grammar tighthead prop attempting to kick the ball out after the siren, however didn't make it out and gifting the ball back to Eddies. Made for quite an exciting finish!!

Daniel Denton

Stan Wickham (3)
Anyone else get out to watch the Marist vs Dara match today? I'd like to hear your thoughts before I go on a rant. That's not to say that one team deserved it more than the other, but the refereeing was very poor.

Daniel Denton

Stan Wickham (3)
Please commence rant

Haha, well that's why I was hoping I could here another spectators opinion because I may come across as one eyed as I was supporting Daramalan yesterday.

Well I'll start with the most controversial point and stupid call of all, which was allowing a Marist parent to officiate the match! (someone please explain)

To sum it up, the penalty count would have been close to 20-5 in favour of Marist (no exaggeration). Now with a count like that, you'd have to say the Dara were ill-disciplined which may well be true. However, the penalty's being called were not ruck infringements or foul play.. about 13 of the penalties were for offside. Sometimes the referee would have his back turned when making these calls. He really ruined the spectacle for me. But a call that ultimately had a great impact on the match was a scrum that was deemed a tight-head win by Marist but was obvious to all spectators and players that the ball had never even entered the scrum and just came out the same tunnel. The Marist scrumhalf picked it up and ran 20 metres.. A few plays later, Marist scored.

Now I made the point earlier this year that junior rugby union needs to take a few more steps forward in adjudicating. The point I made was that for first 15 matches in particular, there needs to be certified assistant referees and not some kid, parent, or injured player running the lines. Unfortunately this important call was missed because there was a Marist student who was running the sideline.

RANT OVER! ... for now at least.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
All fair points by the sound of it. It seems incredible that 1st XV games are not officiated by referees and touch judges of a suitable standard or that parents from involved teams would fill the roles. There will be people who disagree though I'm sure.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Haha, well that's why I was hoping I could here another spectators opinion because I may come across as one eyed as I was supporting Daramalan yesterday.

Well I'll start with the most controversial point and stupid call of all, which was allowing a Marist parent to officiate the match! (someone please explain)

To sum it up, the penalty count would have been close to 20-5 in favour of Marist (no exaggeration). Now with a count like that, you'd have to say the Dara were ill-disciplined which may well be true. However, the penalty's being called were not ruck infringements or foul play.. about 13 of the penalties were for offside. Sometimes the referee would have his back turned when making these calls. He really ruined the spectacle for me. But a call that ultimately had a great impact on the match was a scrum that was deemed a tight-head win by Marist but was obvious to all spectators and players that the ball had never even entered the scrum and just came out the same tunnel. The Marist scrumhalf picked it up and ran 20 metres.. A few plays later, Marist scored.

Now I made the point earlier this year that junior rugby union needs to take a few more steps forward in adjudicating. The point I made was that for first 15 matches in particular, there needs to be certified assistant referees and not some kid, parent, or injured player running the lines. Unfortunately this important call was missed because there was a Marist student who was running the sideline.

RANT OVER! . for now at least.

Daramalan should have been responsible for making sure there was a ref, as it was their home game. For some reason the ACTJRU ref wasn't there, and no one from Dara stepped up. When this type of occurrence has happened with our club, someone from our club has refereed one half, and the opposition the other. Pretty much every game of junior rugby I've seen has a linesman from each side running the touch line. I'm guessing there was a Dara student or parent running touch on the opposite side. Maybe there should be more officials, but with some of the abuse that the refs cop, it's hardly surprising that people don't put up their hands to do it.

Daniel Denton

Stan Wickham (3)
Daramalan should have been responsible for making sure there was a ref, as it was their home game. For some reason the ACTJRU ref wasn't there, and no one from Dara stepped up. When this type of occurrence has happened with our club, someone from our club has refereed one half, and the opposition the other. Pretty much every game of junior rugby I've seen has a linesman from each side running the touch line. I'm guessing there was a Dara student or parent running touch on the opposite side. Maybe there should be more officials, but with some of the abuse that the refs cop, it's hardly surprising that people don't put up their hands to do it.

No, I'm not saying a Marist parent reffed because the appointed ref didn't show up. He was the appointed official for that match. Now I understand that I'm looking at this match with a one eyed approach, but even so, a Marist parent shouldn't be allowed to ref Marist matches. Especially at the higher levels. In international rugby Australians aren't allowed to referee Wallaby matches. (correct me if I'm wrong as it may have change recently)

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
No, I'm not saying a Marist parent reffed because the appointed ref didn't show up. He was the appointed official for that match. Now I understand that I'm looking at this match with a one eyed approach, but even so, a Marist parent shouldn't be allowed to ref Marist matches. Especially at the higher levels. In international rugby Australians aren't allowed to referee Wallaby matches. (correct me if I'm wrong as it may have change recently)

Sorry Daniel, you're right, shouldn't have happened. Too few refs unfortunately.

kiwistallion

Bob McCowan (2)
the refereeing has been of pretty high standard with act premier 1st grade referees coming down to referee 18 1s game at times but yes there should be tj but the fact is the numbers on actjru referees is low so there arnt always people there to cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.