• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACTJRU U18 & ACT Schools XV 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Equation

Stan Wickham (3)
Did anyone get a chance to see the Marist Vs Uni Norths game? I'm interested to know what Norths were like.
They looked quite good. Marist were just much too well drilled. On talent alone the Norths backline will go toe to toe with any in the comp. The Norths centers and fullback made lots of linebreaks but just could not finish them off. A lot of drop ball in Marist's 22 cost them alot. Marist were good and scored off two set piece plays in the backs. All in all the game was a lot tighter than the scoreline with Norths keeping them on the backfoot for a fair bit of the game.
I'd say stand out players would be:
8 for Marist Suita Tai, 6 for Marist James Kazias
13 for Uni Norths ???, 3 for Uni Norths ???

Equation

Stan Wickham (3)
Thanks for the updates people. Were vikings at full strength on Friday?

I think so they were in it for the first twenty minutes and nearly looked on top of Eddies. In the end one on one tackling in the backs killed Vikings with the Eddies star studded backline running riot. I think Vikings have some quality under 18s eligible players in the Colts team.

Meeks

Bob McCowan (2)
Thanks for the updates people. Were vikings at full strength on Friday?

We still have 6 (3 forwards and 3 backs) players to come back into the side and will be back for our next games.

Thought the score was 48-7 but anyway, the boys did very well, their was a good buzz in the change room afterwards for limited time we had together and as Equation said the boys know they can compete at this level, Eddies were too good on the night, but the best thing about playing a side like Eddies they expose your weaknesses and we have 2 weeks to work on them due to ADFA seeking a deferred game

On a side note our 2nd XV or Green team vs Eddies 3rd XV started 2nd half with only 12 players due to having 4 injured, and were reduced to 11 players due to a yellow card, and didn't have a point scored against them in the 2nd half to loose 14-7. These boys are really developing some pride in themselves.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
We still have 6 (3 forwards and 3 backs) players to come back into the side and will be back for our next games.

Thought the score was 48-7 but anyway, the boys did very well, their was a good buzz in the change room afterwards for limited time we had together and as Equation said the boys know they can compete at this level, Eddies were too good on the night, but the best thing about playing a side like Eddies they expose your weaknesses and we have 2 weeks to work on them due to ADFA seeking a deferred game

On a side note our 2nd XV or Green team vs Eddies 3rd XV started 2nd half with only 12 players due to having 4 injured, and were reduced to 11 players due to a yellow card, and didn't have a point scored against them in the 2nd half to loose 14-7. These boys are really developing some pride in themselves.[/

Thats good to hear, I know you guys put in some real hardwork ove the off season and once you have your full squad things may be different.

With regards to Eddies, where has this star studded backline emerged from? Obviously Tomane is 'new' so to speak but what about the rest?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)

On a side note our 2nd XV or Green team vs Eddies 3rd XV started 2nd half with only 12 players due to having 4 injured, and were reduced to 11 players due to a yellow card, and didn't have a point scored against them in the 2nd half to loose 14-7. These boys are really developing some pride in themselves.

Thats good to hear, I know you guys put in some real hardwork ove the off season and once you have your full squad things may be different.

With regards to Eddies, where has this star studded backline emerged from? Obviously Tomane is 'new' so to speak but what about the rest?

Meeks

Bob McCowan (2)

There 12 - 13 - and 15 were very good the others were your typical St Edmunds 1st xv players did the basics very well and played to their structure. Does it really matter where they come from? I know our boys were talking after the match about playing against Tomane, Lomax and Folau etc. and enjoyed the experience that comes with it all. It was a challenge they enjoyed.

If Eddies or another team choose to improve the quality of their team by offering scholarships then good on them, I say. In return the players are getting a decent education and the competition is better for it because the standard rises and hopefully the ACT schoolboys team is better for it.

We tried to recruit 6 junior Canberra Raiders players but missed out on them because we couldn't pay them like league clubs and couldn't offer them a free education at reputable College, if they did play for us would be frowned upon or congratulated?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
There 12 - 13 - and 15 were very good the others were your typical St Edmunds 1st xv players did the basics very well and played to their structure. Does it really matter where they come from? I know our boys were talking after the match about playing against Tomane, Lomax and Folau etc. and enjoyed the experience that comes with it all. It was a challenge they enjoyed.

If Eddies or another team choose to improve the quality of their team by offering scholarships then good on them, I say. In return the players are getting a decent education and the competition is better for it because the standard rises and hopefully the ACT schoolboys team is better for it.

We tried to recruit 6 junior Canberra Raiders players but missed out on them because we couldn't pay them like league clubs and couldn't offer them a free education at reputable College, if they did play for us would be frowned upon or congratulated?

The answer to that question lies solely with who ever is being asked. Personally I dont like it. The only standards that rise are of those of the side doing the importing. The other schools/clubs get left so far behind that the competition becomes a joke or sorts. About 10 years ago when eddies were really active in this kind of behavior they had something like 16 - 17 players selected in the ACT schoolboys team. This scenario is rediculous and only highlighted when they go away to the state championships and get blown away. Another example of where the standard only rises in that school/club alone was when eddies had not lost in the ACT or Waratah Shield for something like 5 years. They then took on Joeys in Sydney and got a lesson by about 50 points.

Sorry Meeks, I cant agree on this one. A small comp like the ACT cannot afford to have obvious inbalance by having schools or clubs import. This only stands to weaken the comp and see lesser competitive teams lose interest. Sydney schools comps are experiencing the same problems. Leave professionalism to the big boys I reckon.

Equation

Stan Wickham (3)
Round 2 fixtures:
ADFA v Vikings, @ ADFA
Grammar v Daramalan, @ Grammar
St Edmunds v Norths, @ St Edmunds
Wests v Marist, @ O'Connor

Should be decent games here, expecting Vikings to get up over ADFA, Dara over Grammar, Eddies should have Norths but who knows as Norths will be fielding a full strength squad after missing 4 or so starting players against Marist. Marist over Wests I would say aswell.

jamey jones

Frank Nicholson (4)
mate i rspe
The answer to that question lies solely with who ever is being asked. Personally I dont like it. The only standards that rise are of those of the side doing the importing. The other schools/clubs get left so far behind that the competition becomes a joke or sorts. About 10 years ago when eddies were really active in this kind of behavior they had something like 16 - 17 players selected in the ACT schoolboys team. This scenario is rediculous and only highlighted when they go away to the state championships and get blown away. Another example of where the standard only rises in that school/club alone was when eddies had not lost in the ACT or Waratah Shield for something like 5 years. They then took on Joeys in Sydney and got a lesson by about 50 points.

Sorry Meeks, I cant agree on this one. A small comp like the ACT cannot afford to have obvious inbalance by having schools or clubs import. This only stands to weaken the comp and see lesser competitive teams lose interest. Sydney schools comps are experiencing the same problems. Leave professionalism to the big boys I reckon.

mate i respect ur opinion but i agree with meeks a.c.t needs all the help they can get if they are to compete with N.S.W and Q.L.D. the act juniors were great in satae championships last year

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
mate i rspe

mate i respect ur opinion but i agree with meeks a.c.t needs all the help they can get if they are to compete with N.S.W and Q.L.D. the act juniors were great in satae championships last year

Sorry, but if anybody can name even one rugby competition in the world where single team domination by means not available or used by rivals (e.g scholarships, cheating salary caps etc) was productive for the rest of the competition I'd love to know about it.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
any scores from other grades
2nd Div - Grammar bt Trinity – 36-20, Marist bt Gungahlin 43-34, Dara bt Radford 22-10, Eddie bt Royals 39-12.
3rd Div – Marist bt Uni Norths 17-14, Tableland Reds bt Cooma 43-17, Eddie bt Vikings 14-7.

Status
Not open for further replies.