• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACTJRU U18 & ACT Schools XV 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

prideandpassion

Stan Wickham (3)
It's because they are full of imports
It's not that Grammar are bad. Eddies are just too good..

It's because they are full of imports. Wouldn't have a chance if it wasn't for there Polynesian players. Players like Stephen McInerney and Adam Wise really deserve their chance in the first XV team

Equation

Stan Wickham (3)

It's because they are full of imports. Wouldn't have a chance if it wasn't for there Polynesian players. Players like Stephen McInerney and Adam Wise really deserve their chance in the first XV team

It doesn't matter if they have brought in players they are a very good team..

prideandpassion

Stan Wickham (3)

I'm not disagreeing with you on that. They talent the Polynesian boys posses is incredible. It does however make the seconds and thirds teams quite strong with the good players who are on the cusp of making first XV

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Now I'm anti-scholarships, and if you want to know why then check the Victorian Schools Rugby scores for this year.

But, if a kid is good enough he'll make a 1sts side. If they get a scholarship 10, the coach will teach him to play 15. If they get a scholarship 8, they'll teach him to play front row.

It's not as black and white as X scholarship player took Y non-scholarship player's spot.

sorry_not_sorry

Frank Row (1)
what do you and others think of the sudden influxes of new player st edmunds seem to get each each year around the u15 age group and above? This ever changing player pool they seem to have is much different to the marist and grammars who's boys play from year 7 or younger together all the way up.

jamey jones

Frank Nicholson (4)
Does anyone have any clue as to why Tim Reeves is not playing 1st XV for St Edmunds this year. My understanding is he was tipped to be their No. 8 this season as he was for most of last year.

yes tim reeves was picked in the australian schoolboys water polo team to tour mid season to USA. so tim made the decision to not play 1st 15 this year

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
what do you and others think of the sudden influxes of new player st edmunds seem to get each each year around the u15 age group and above? This ever changing player pool they seem to have is much different to the marist and grammars who's boys play from year 7 or younger together all the way up.

It's pretty unfortunate really, personally I'd like to see Eddies just keep with the players they have and leave the other kids to play at either the clubs or schools they originate from. It would certianly help to strengthen the competition evenly and if the players they import are good enough then they will progress to rep honors any way. I had to laugh when I heard that Marist beat Eddies in every division of the U10,11 and 12's last weekend. I thought to myself that wont be happening in three or fours years when those kids progress through to seniors and Eddies have bolstered their teams....

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Out of interest is anybody able to nominate exactly which players in the Eddies 1st XV are on some form of scholarship/bursary etc. I saw the game on Saturday and I was amazed at how big some of the eddies kids were, they were monstrous compared with Marist. The Marist kids showed some real guts and didnt take a backward step, they could have won potentially but it wasnt to be in the end. Given the size difference, particularly in the forwards I was suprised eddies didnt win by 20+,

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Out of interest is anybody able to nominate exactly which players in the Eddies 1st XV are on some form of scholarship/bursary etc. I saw the game on Saturday and I was amazed at how big some of the eddies kids were, they were monstrous compared with Marist. The Marist kids showed some real guts and didnt take a backward step, they could have won potentially but it wasnt to be in the end. Given the size difference, particularly in the forwards I was suprised eddies didnt win by 20+,

I am guessing following on from the other thread maybe things have changed again this year with Eddies bringing in "new students" - they started to have a fairly hard stand on this from around 2006ish didnt they - with a new headmaster - I am guessing things are going back to how they were?

I know of kids who were on "music scholarships" etc from different schools - was always abit of a joke about these players....never questioned the ability for them to be great players though - some playing u15's, 16's and then benching or starting for the 1st XV on Saturdays lol....

sorry_not_sorry

Frank Row (1)
I am guessing following on from the other thread maybe things have changed again this year with Eddies bringing in "new students" - they started to have a fairly hard stand on this from around 2006ish didnt they - with a new headmaster - I am guessing things are going back to how they were?

I know of kids who were on "music scholarships" etc from different schools - was always abit of a joke about these players..never questioned the ability for them to be great players though - some playing u15's, 16's and then benching or starting for the 1st XV on Saturdays lol..

I believe that a number of St Edmunds players are on scholarships for "non academic" reasons. It is very suspicious the bringing in of players from overseas especially overseas imports such as South African flanker Arlen Burger and Kiwi front rowers John Pene and Tyrel Lomak. Im sure a number of other players are on scholarships but I am unable to clarify this.

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Have they changed Head-master? Because as I said the new head-master that came in around 2005-2006 (i think) hard a fairly tough rule that Eddies would not be doing this anymore and Rugby would not be the 100% focus for the school...?

Maybe pressure from the Rugby community within St Eddies has changed this view?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
No doubt this topic of scholarships at St Edmunds will draw denial from some quarters of the eddies fraternity. However a quick glance at some statistcis poses questions about this subject. Doing a comparison between they and Marist you will see that Marist has an enrolment of 1600+ students, eddies only 1200. Both schools offer exactly the same winter sports; Rugby, football, AFL, Hockey and basketball. Marist has 22 rugby sides, eddies 20. Marist has far greater participation levels in the other sports. More kids play soccer at Marist than Rugby.

When you consider these statistics, particularly students enrolments, numbers playing rugby and participation levels comparitive to enrolments it is difficult to understand how eddies can have been so dominant over the years, most notably the past 15 years or so without presuming some thing is going on involving the use of scholarships. I know some from eddies will come out with rubbish like 'school spirit' etc but honestly nobody buys that, Marist wins the lion share of every other ASC sport most years so their schools spirit is sky high.

The amazing number of rep players to come out eddies and the high number of polynesian kids only further enhances the suspicion. I really wish eddies would just be open about the topic and declare what is going on. If what sorry writes above about kids being bought in from overseas is true then I find this rediculous. There is no question that eddies has always placed rugby at the top of the tree as far sports played there, however if problems with scholarships is beginning again as it did in the late 90's to mid 2000's then there is real concern about what effect this will have on ACTJRU in the future. 13 boys from eddies have been selected in the preliminary ACT schools side, does anybody else think that seems a little odd considering they only just beat Marist on the weekend by a try?

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Maybe due to the form or lack there of, of the Eddies side in the last 3-4 years they have now gone back to their old ways in regards to recruiting players - maybe they have seen a drop off in non-scholarship students wanting to attend Eddies due to them not being the power-house that they once were - I know guys who went to Eddies purely with the mind-set of playing for one of the best rugby schools in Australia and they were not on scholarships etc they simply wanted to play for Eddies - but considering the recent poor form maybe those sort of kids have dropped off and looking in other places and maybe its had an effect on enrolment numbers?

- Give some good rugby players a scholarship - better 1st XV - easier way to enrole non-scholarship players???

prideandpassion

Stan Wickham (3)
No doubt this topic of scholarships at St Edmunds will draw denial from some quarters of the eddies fraternity. However a quick glance at some statistcis poses questions about this subject. Doing a comparison between they and Marist you will see that Marist has an enrolment of 1600+ students, eddies only 1200. Both schools offer exactly the same winter sports; Rugby, football, AFL, Hockey and basketball. Marist has 22 rugby sides, eddies 20. Marist has far greater participation levels in the other sports. More kids play soccer at Marist than Rugby.

When you consider these statistics, particularly students enrolments, numbers playing rugby and participation levels comparitive to enrolments it is difficult to understand how eddies can have been so dominant over the years, most notably the past 15 years or so without presuming some thing is going on involving the use of scholarships. I know some from eddies will come out with rubbish like 'school spirit' etc but honestly nobody buys that, Marist wins the lion share of every other ASC sport most years so their schools spirit is sky high.

The amazing number of rep players to come out eddies and the high number of polynesian kids only further enhances the suspicion. I really wish eddies would just be open about the topic and declare what is going on. If what sorry writes above about kids being bought in from overseas is true then I find this rediculous. There is no question that eddies has always placed rugby at the top of the tree as far sports played there, however if problems with scholarships is beginning again as it did in the late 90's to mid 2000's then there is real concern about what effect this will have on ACTJRU in the future. 13 boys from eddies have been selected in the preliminary ACT schools side, does anybody else think that seems a little odd considering they only just beat Marist on the weekend by a try?

It is also appalling the poaching of players from others schools and clubs in the competition. The number of students that have moved to St Edmunds from others clubs and schools is phenomenal with most of these students cooincidently being outstanding rugby players and many of polynesian background.

What are other views of this matter on player poaching?

However it is great to see players from St Edmunds that have been there from year 4 through 12 such as Tom Mitchell and Mitchell Douch really excelling in the first XV. However therse cases especially at St Edmunds seem to be few and far between...

Status
Not open for further replies.