• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ACTJRU U18 & ACT Schools XV 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Maybe due to the form or lack there of, of the Eddies side in the last 3-4 years they have now gone back to their old ways in regards to recruiting players - maybe they have seen a drop off in non-scholarship students wanting to attend Eddies due to them not being the power-house that they once were - I know guys who went to Eddies purely with the mind-set of playing for one of the best rugby schools in Australia and they were not on scholarships etc they simply wanted to play for Eddies - but considering the recent poor form maybe those sort of kids have dropped off and looking in other places and maybe its had an effect on enrolment numbers?

- Give some good rugby players a scholarship - better 1st XV - easier way to enrole non-scholarship players???

I suspect you may be right and some pressure from the eddies community may be in play and they are applying pressure for results again. Not sure what the current headmasters stance is, I do know he is a rugby man however as he formerly coached the Marist 2nd XV for several years when he was employed there.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I find it hard to believe they are recruiting players from overseas with no boarding system in place.

More likely, the boys are approaching the school once they get here and THEN getting a scholarship. I'm let to believe most sports scholarships are the boy's parent's approaching the school and not the other way around.

That being said, I have no part in this system.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It is also appalling the poaching of players from others schools and clubs in the competition. The number of students that have moved to St Edmunds from others clubs and schools is phenomenal with most of these students cooincidently being outstanding rugby players and many of polynesian background.

What are other views of this matter on player poaching?

However it is great to see players from St Edmunds that have been there from year 4 through 12 such as Tom Mitchell and Mitchell Douch really excelling in the first XV. However therse cases especially at St Edmunds seem to be few and far between.

Are you able to name any and nominate which club or school they originally came from? I was aware of kids being given scholarships from the clubs, mostly from Queanbeyan but I did not know kids from other schools had relocated to Eddies on scholarships.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Before this discussion gets out of control and serious accusations are made, can anybody say with aboslute certainty that eddies IS again in the act of offering kids scholarships of any kind which is leading to these 'scholars' eventually playing 1st XV rugby there?

happycat

Bob McCowan (2)
Before this discussion gets out of control and serious accusations are made, can anybody say with aboslute certainty that eddies IS again in the act of offering kids scholarships of any kind which is leading to these 'scholars' eventually playing 1st XV rugby there?

Angrydog stirring the pot once more

Spiky Beaver

Bob McCowan (2)
I find a lot of the posts on this thread quite immature and uninformed. I would like to see the sources of a lot of angrydogs posts as well as the fella commenting on arlen and tyrels recruitment.

Whilst i also find the influx of talent into the various eddies grades suspicious i think there could be a multitude of reasons for their movement. Such include the desire to play for a good team to develop their rugby, rather than continually getting obliterated for club teams who lack the culture they desire.

Angry dog, old chap, you should understand this most out of everyone, after all you have been commenting on the exclusion of club teams from the asc comp for that very reason - poor culture and poisonous environments for those kids who wish to excel in their footy. This is something that already exists at a school like eddies which is also one of the cheaper private schools. Makes sense to me but id be glad to hear your response. Please try to present a rational argument without too many accusations, i know this might be hard but i believe in you.

Regards

Daniel Denton

Stan Wickham (3)
Are you able to name any and nominate which club or school they originally came from? I was aware of kids being given scholarships from the clubs, mostly from Queanbeyan but I did not know kids from other schools had relocated to Eddies on scholarships.

I do not know if scholarships are being offered. And I agree with the point that others have made which is that some players go to Eddies to play for a good team. A classic example is Tim Reeves, Jordan Hope and Brendan Trudgen all leaving Daramalan and going to Eddies about 2 years ago. Now the age group above Tim and Jordan was one of the few strong Daramalan age groups which had been champs a few times. Jordan and Tim both left the same year as they were a year younger because they wanted to play with a stronger team. As a result Jordan is now one of the leaders of the Eddies first XV and Tim could be in there also if he wanted. Trudgen is a different story, his whole family changed schools and it hasn't really worked out for him.
Without dragging on too much. A few more examples are the Fafita brothers (Folau and Andrew). They left Uni-norths to join eddies. Of course the Tomane brother has also joined Eddies this year which has added even more strength. It really would be quite interesting to see how they'd go without these imports.

sorry_not_sorry

Frank Row (1)
I do not know if scholarships are being offered. And I agree with the point that others have made which is that some players go to Eddies to play for a good team. A classic example is Tim Reeves, Jordan Hope and Brendan Trudgen all leaving Daramalan and going to Eddies about 2 years ago. Now the age group above Tim and Jordan was one of the few strong Daramalan age groups which had been champs a few times. Jordan and Tim both left the same year as they were a year younger because they wanted to play with a stronger team. As a result Jordan is now one of the leaders of the Eddies first XV and Tim could be in there also if he wanted. Trudgen is a different story, his whole family changed schools and it hasn't really worked out for him.
Without dragging on too much. A few more examples are the Fafita brothers (Folau and Andrew). They left Uni-norths to join eddies. Of course the Tomane brother has also joined Eddies this year which has added even more strength. It really would be quite interesting to see how they'd go without these imports.
That is an interesting point you make. However can it be said that it was purely rugby that motivated these players to make the move over? Or was were there other reason (old boys of the school, better education etc)?

prideandpassion

Stan Wickham (3)
That is an interesting point you make. However can it be said that it was purely rugby that motivated these players to make the move over? Or was were there other reason (old boys of the school, better education etc)?

With all this talk about scholarships for rugby, how many boys do you really see go through to make it at the elite level, many of the boys across all First XV's in Canberra will just go play club rugby for the fun of it. No matter which school or club the player plays for, the cream of the crop will rise. It is still interesting to see all this commotion over some schoolboy rugby.

happycat

Bob McCowan (2)
There are clear reasons as to why they would have moved to Eddies from their respective schools and clubs, with the main reason being a stronger rugby program. As they grew up they would have seen Eddies dominate throughout their schooling and know that that is a good school and a good program for aspiring footy players.

Blaming it all on scholarships is ridiculous (Take note on the use of an 'I' in ridiculous angrydog) as they aren't even that much better than the competition, only narrowly beating Marist last weekend. Alot of hype over a so called squad of imports that isnt destroying teams which have no accusation being thrown against them

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There are clear reasons as to why they would have moved to Eddies from their respective schools and clubs, with the main reason being a stronger rugby program. As they grew up they would have seen Eddies dominate throughout their schooling and know that that is a good school and a good program for aspiring footy players.

Blaming it all on scholarships is ridiculous (Take note on the use of an 'I' in ridiculous angrydog) as they aren't even that much better than the competition, only narrowly beating Marist last weekend. Alot of hype over a so called squad of imports that isnt destroying teams which have no accusation being thrown against them

Mate I really have to agree with your 1st comment - I dont think people understand the power and ore that surrounds St Eddies at a schoolboy level to other players from other clubs and even other schools - junior players that are serious are just like professional players they want to be playing for the best teams - and ALOT of young players have gone to Eddies simply because of the rugby and wanting the chance to play for them. Eddies have alot of pulling power in this regard and I would say due to their poor form the last few years they are trying to regain this pulling power so maybe they are trying put in place a strong 1st XV to bring in these players that simply want to/need to play for Eddies.

I think it is a simply fact that there is scholarships issued to different kids/players to attract them to the school - if it be Eddies contacting them directly or the family approaching the school 1st I am unsure - I do know though of players coming in from NSW and NZ to play for eddies who had special treatment but again not sure if they had approached the school 1st....

Spiky Beaver

Bob McCowan (2)

mate if you were going to move schools for education purposes i highly doubt you'd go to a school with an average ATAR of 72.... its definitely for rugby

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
mate if you were going to move schools for education purposes i highly doubt you'd go to a school with an average ATAR of 72.. its definitely for rugby

Which makes me a little sceptical about whether they have actually ramped up the import situation. A school cant expect to be well regarded or maintain a high enrolment based largely on it's rugby teams results. I'm sure the majority of people who send their kids to eddies still epxect them to come out able to read and write. Hey you and I actually agree on something spiky....

happycat

Bob McCowan (2)
Which makes me a little skeptical about whether they have actually ramped up the import situation. A school cant expect to be well regarded or maintain a high enrollment based largely on it's rugby teams results. I'm sure the majority of people who send their kids to eddies still expect them to come out able to read and write. Hey you and I actually agree on something spiky..

When a kid with good rugby playing potential and a choice between Eddies and a school like Erindale whose average atar sits at around 65, it is still a very reasonable option. Its not the reason for their high enrollment in question, only the move of a select group of players who it is definitely plausible they moved just to improve their rugby.

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
When a kid with good rugby playing potential and a choice between Eddies and a school like Erindale whose average atar sits at around 65, it is still a very reasonable option. Its not the reason for their high enrollment in question, only the move of a select group of players who it is definitely plausible they moved just to improve their rugby.

I think I agree with that. The majority attend for a variety of reasons and a select number attend primarily for football?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
On another note, anyone seen enough to make bold predictions about possible Aussie Schools selections at the championships?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Beau Donovan the eddies fullback and Dean Paragali the Marist 7 will push very closely for a Aussie Schools Jersey.

Both these guys have been very impressive and I would have to agree from what I have seen. What about Tomane from eddies and Simmonson from Marist possibly?

angrydog

Jimmy Flynn (14)
What's everyone's thoughts on the act side to play Victoria nxt Friday

Looks like they got it pretty much right to me. The vic's are a fairly tough opponent these days and it could be a very good indication of where we are placed in regards to the state champs. Not sure whether 13 eddies players was 100% right, I would say some them will probably get cut though for the state champs.

Status
Not open for further replies.