• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Can't say i agree with you there mate. I was there on saturday, the padua forwards dominated the ashgrove forwards in everything but the scrum. Padua's forwards were bumping off tackler after tackler making good metres with every carry especially the 2 and 3, and had it not been for the 2 yellow cards, would have won the game IMO, as when padua had 15 players on the field looked very dangerous, and a fair few unlucky calls cost them the outright premiership IMO

All that dominance and only 17 points (and conceding 24).

Let's face it, it was all set up for a Padua win if they were good enough - home game, partisan crowd, unbeaten team -but they weren't. It's not like they lost by a point either.

One would hope the team were more gracious losers than their supporters, and they should be very proud of a great season.

Judging by the 16A's score, Padua may want to dine out on that joint premiership for the next few years.

otoolej11

Bob McCowan (2)

Let's face it, it was all set up for a Padua win if they were good enough - home game, partisan crowd, unbeaten team -but they weren't. It's not like they lost by a point either.

One would hope the team were more gracious losers than their supporters, and they should be very proud of a great season.

Judging by the 16A's score, Padua may want to dine out on that joint premiership for the next few years.

were you at the game?

D

damo1

AIC 1:
1. simon miakele Sec
2. andrew manu Sec
3. aaron sorridimimi Villa
4. alex perez Pad
5. scott mains Villa
6. shane larkman Sec
7. matt muller Iona
8. terrin walls pats
9. scott maloou Ash
10. kurtis biueszheousen Iona
11. tyrone brimble Splc
12. sam johnson Sec
13. giles pats Spc
14. Tivita Ash
15. jonathan Kent Ash

AIC 2
1 ben lowis (pats)
2 Bart richie ( padua)
3 Alex hatzis (slc)
4 alex notting (ash)
5 jack otoole (padua)
6 lachlan gray (peters)
7 joe otoole (padua)
8 Tom milosevic (slc)
9 Simon gregg (slc)
10 Heta manuel (Sec)
11 Declan ballassa (Sec)
12 Christian welch (villa)
13 Tom dempsey (slc)
14 Elliot davies (ash)
15 Joe crowther (slc)

Don't know the reserves at the moment

I believe the No 6 from AIC 2 above got red carded on Saturday. Does this affect his availability?

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
qld schools carnival

So who should we expect big things from in the upcoming games? the two halfbacks look good for a QLD spot, but are there any other players who could be pushing for selection? I personally think the AIC 1 back 3 look likely (Watson, Kent, Brimble).

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
Re the racial slur - inexcusable if it happened - I was down that end and it appeared to be an over the top response to the opposition scoring - I don't think much weight can be attached to his teammates corroborating the slur as they're not impartial and would presumably have been focusingg on the game -
Ashgrove were brave - my assessment was that there was nothing between the teams but the ref - Ashgrove backs were better imo - Padua forwards a lot stronger - Ashgrove scored twice against 13 men - their first try was awarded after the ref changed his initial decision - he was on the spot to run with his initial call - hardly premier grade refereeing - I'm used to seeing Ashgrove sides physically dominating sides hence my assessment - on the weekend when all things were equal - no piggyback penalties or yellow cards they werentasstrong as ash teams I've seen over last 15 years which is good for the comp.

oldcoach

Frank Row (1)
Congrats to Padua, Eddies and Ashgrove. I was at the game and not from any of these schools. I think the ref did a good job in a difficult match.
The reason Ashgrove has such a great AIC record was on show for the rest of us. I actually think in 2011 they were a VERY average team and quite poorly coached however Ashgrove teams never know when they are beaten and play with such belief. They win games (like this one) by hanging in there while other schools get too emotional (like Padua did). Just my 2c worth ....

erossi93

Allen Oxlade (6)

In my opinion, I think you''ll find that Padua next year will be up for contention again with a lot of year 11 boys experiencing First XV rugby this year. Many people said the same thing for Padua's First XV this year when their 16A's in 2010 weren't that successful due to many of the boys getting the call up for First XV in 2010. However I'm not sure of what the other schools teams will be like, but based on what I know they won't be easybeats again next year.

A

AIC scout.

You talk as if you know for a fact these 4 boys don't have potentional? Youre a negative person, I'm just going off what coaches say around the boarding houses. So dont sit behind your computer thinking you know everything and anything about GPS. The BGS coach talks about new boys coming to the school, purely to benefit the school in general by giving boys oppurtunities to perform. You are clearly bringing down the AIC compertition by saying these 4 boys won't perform. I personally have seen game play from AIC games as a member of staff is one of our boarding masters. He has personally put in his input to the coachs and shown us game play from the AIC games including games from these boys. The coaches are liking what they see as we have performed many plays seen on these. videos.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm going to pretend you didn't say that. I've been involved in the GPS system for over 20 years and funnily enough been involved in numerous schools recruiting processes. Don't come on here with BS claims that really have no evidence and go against the grain of GPS school beliefs and history.

It is not within BGS or any GPS school's interests to bring in kids from local 16A teams who are not proven representative players. Period. Now can we stop clogging this thread with unrelated GPS crap. It's called AIC for a reason, they don't need to put up with this.

B

brissyrugby93

Why would BGS be interested in those players if they are 16A's this year.

Correct me if I am wrong but i believe McKersey played a full season at fullback for Iona's firsts. I saw them play villanova a few weeks back and he played a good game of footy, i can understand BGS's interest in him.

M

Madam Guillotine

Let's talk about the positives!

Gentlemen, Gentlemen! Please! Enough of all this negative, post mortem talk about how Ashgrove and Padua or Lauries, shouda, coulda, woulda! And enough of this redirecting blame (Don't blame the Referee, Play to the Whistle!) away from those who make their own fortunes - the teams and players themselves. What about discussing the positives out of this great AIC season! For mine (as a new AIC follower converted from GPS), I was astounded by the impressive achievements of this year’s entire rugby program at Eddie’s. Capped-off of course by the First XV that not only achieved their first ever win over Ashgrove, but also I believe their inaugural Premiership! After speaking with various persons who have closely followed the Eddie’s Firsts this year, it seems quite evident that they would have to have been the most structured and cohesive team of the tournament. Sure, they stumbled at the starting blocks with a narrow Round 1 defeat to the other inspiring team-of-the-tournament in Padua, however this was understandable as team-bonding and structure is never really there in the beginning for most teams. But, even after defeating Ashgrove (at Ashgrove!), didn’t the Eddie’s juggernaut roll-on from there with comprehensive wins over SPLC and Iona! Although Padua had a very impressive season, ‘choking’ at home in their ‘grand final’ and losing their outright Premiership hopes against Ashgrove, clearly shows that they didn’t quite have what it takes. Ashgrove, presumably devastated after losing to Eddies at home, really had everything to lose and fought back hard to secure a place in the joint three-way Premiership. Eddie’s, however, were the most structured, disciplined and cohesive team for this year and therefore deserves my vote as the best overall. Well done to the Coaching Staff, Players and supporters at Eddie’s!

J

jerome

I completely agree with you Madam, not only the first rugby but the entire rugby program together. From 7th place aggregate 2 years ago to presumably a 2nd place aggregate in 2011 is amazing and a great effort by all coaches and players. Expecting big things next year.

Q

QLDrugby

You talk as if you know for a fact these 4 boys don't have potentional? Youre a negative person, I'm just going off what coaches say around the boarding houses. So dont sit behind your computer thinking you know everything and anything about GPS. The BGS coach talks about new boys coming to the school, purely to benefit the school in general by giving boys oppurtunities to perform. You are clearly bringing down the AIC compertition by saying these 4 boys won't perform. I personally have seen game play from AIC games as a member of staff is one of our boarding masters. He has personally put in his input to the coachs and shown us game play from the AIC games including games from these boys. The coaches are liking what they see as we have performed many plays seen on these. videos.

Are there any more potential AIC players being mentioned?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Some recent posts have been transferred to the scholarship thread.

All future ones referring to scholarships will be deleted even if they relate to other matters as well in the same post. Sorry - no I'm not.

T

The Chainsaw

Let me tell you exactly what is wrong with St Laurence's Rugby. They have played about a 15-16 match season so far. The idea of taking the SLC men to South America, although they would disagree with this has run them into fitness and has quite possibly made them too match fit and fatigue is starting to run its course. Injuries to almost every position in the backs has put St Laurence's in a position where they are playing second or third string players in a position in the firsts. For a top grade team they have to cope with this cause it is their profession these are 16,17 and 18 year old boys who are focusing on a last year of school. I think a majority of blame goes to the coaches, sports heads and principal for proposing this so close to a season start where SLC should have come very close to premiers not very close to wooden spooners, especially after clinching so many premierships over the past 5-8 years.

T

The Chainsaw

I would not agree with most of what you have said about lauros. In the Ashgrove game the opposition were better and had better finishers. When your team has been run down in previous games, the nasties are playing with your head. remember that these are kids and that they think like kids and they have relatively little experience. I watched them play every game and fitness is not an issue. They seem to lack leadership when they are infringing. Sure some of the players are not fit, but like any organisation, it is up to the boys to get fitter. It appears that they do not do much away from their training sessions. But, as I said, they are kids and in the grand scheme, schoolboy Rugby is not important.

A

ashgrove_boy

I think that the speculation surrounding how Ashgrove Rugby is collapsing is pure idiocy. This may sound bias from my point of view but Ashgrove Rugby seems to be going quite well if you ask me. All the talking points state that an outright premiership has not been won by Ashgrove for several years, and yet, no other school (regardless of Villa) seem to be claiming outright premierships, or continuous outright premierships for that matter. I believe that Ashgrove winning the title (2/3) times proves the maturing of other rugby cultures at other schools rather than the collapsing of Ashgrove Rugby. In response to what was said about Ashgrove not having many stand out players, I think that the reason Ashgrove is winning and "apparently" has no "stand out" players means that the rest of the team is pulling their weight to an extent that the rest of the team exceeds and experiences success. Also, just recently Scott Malolau was selected as the Australian Schoolboys run on half back. Our first in many years. However, I am very for happy for Eddies and Padua, and I wish them all the best in the forthcoming years.

RugbyInterest

Herbert Moran (7)
Ashgrove Boy, i agree with you - it is not that Ashgrove is falling away but the other schools are now lifting their standards - great for the competition and it showed this year because this was the closest AIC has been to GPS at the top level for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.