• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The G-Man

Have your glory while it last mate, we all know how much 'hard work' you guys put into it. At least Ashgrove can have pride in knowing they don't have to pay for their players. No wonder Peters school fees are so high, they have to get all of that money from somewhere

I can't comment on the 'importing' of players at Peters, but it can be safe to assume that the players and coaching staff have and will continue to work hard. From my understanding Peters don't offer rugby scholarships, but work in partnership with the Australian Indigenous Education Fund to bring promising indigenous students (academics wise & sporting) to the college. I know for a fact that St Peters, Ashgrove, Nudgee etc are all involved in this initiative. The above post is starting to smell strongly of sour grapes and being a Marist old boy i would like to think that the Marist culture of being humble in victory and gracious in defeat still exists. You can only applaud both teams for their endeavour and commitment in what was one of the most exciting AIC matches in years.

'Any Given Saturday at 5:00 pm you can win or lose, its whether you can win or lose as a man'

Marbig

Herbert Moran (7)
Have your glory while it last mate, we all know how much 'hard work' you guys put into it. At least Ashgrove can have pride in knowing they don't have to pay for their players. No wonder Peters school fees are so high, they have to get all of that money from somewhere

Ashgrove accusing other schools of buying players. Now I've seen it all. Never come across a group of sorer loses in my time than Ashgrove.

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
I can't comment on the 'importing' of players at Peters, but it can be safe to assume that the players and coaching staff have and will continue to work hard. From my understanding Peters don't offer rugby scholarships, but work in partnership with the Australian Indigenous Education Fund to bring promising indigenous students (academics wise & sporting) to the college. I know for a fact that St Peters, Ashgrove, Nudgee etc are all involved in this initiative. The above post is starting to smell strongly of sour grapes and being a Marist old boy i would like to think that the Marist culture of being humble in victory and gracious in defeat still exists. You can only applaud both teams for their endeavour and commitment in what was one of the most exciting AIC matches in years.

'Any Given Saturday at 5:00 pm you can win or lose, its whether you can win or lose as a man'

Well said G-Man. StPeters are in fact not paying a cent for some of these boys, and it will be interesting to note that a lot of the players who played well on Saturday, the 9/10/11/14 have been there since grade 8. Hardly 'bought' in to play rugby in Grade 11 or 12. Even the 15 has been there since gr9. When I was at that school we had a severe problem with getting enough boys to field teams for this age group and only now has the work starting pay off. Back to the rugby, easily the best school game I have EVER seen. Ability of the StPeters backs to get outside their man was what won them the game, and great resolve to come back after relinquishing the lead from an intercept. Both teams played well, and the Marist boys and families in the stand should be applauded for being so gracious in defeat, standing and clapping both teams off. Well done to both school, that is what schoolboy rugby is all about!

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
enjoying the sensible comments of late and love the passion, which is one of the reason i enjoy school rugby PASSION.
must say when i heard the result from ash vs peters game i couldn't believe it until i check out the Sunday paper,
seeing Ash play last week i thought they looked the goods particularly in the forwards and it would take a strong team to defeat them, i had no idea that peters were up to it, congrats to them would have love to been there.
certainly the aic comp has change in the last 2 years, who would had ever thought padua/eddies/ash win it in 2011 then peters beat ash away to lead the pack in 2012???

so what has happen at peters, from bottom of the pack for so many years to now the ones to beat???

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)

People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones i know for a fact that Tonga Maafu was a recruited player

thierry dusautoir

Alan Cameron (40)
My concerns at the moment for the AIC competition is that i have been to a few AIC games across the city and i have noticed a large trend in coaches affialiasted to GPS schools walking around the grounds. I hope alot of the grade 11's playing aic have parents with strong resolve caus ei am expecting a few offers across the table........GPS changing their rugby season to term 3 has done nothign but inflame the scholarship situation

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
Huge upset at John Eales! What a great game of school boy rugby. You really forget how exciting these comps are after you leave school. Hats off to St Peters for coming away with the win, and heads up Ashgrove boys you came very close. The Peters back 3 look to be on fire at the moment with some strong expansive play against the much fancied marist back line. The Ash forwards were very good, but seemed to struggle at scrum time (very surprising).

I know im repeating what some others have already said but that no. 11 for Peters looks the goods. Where has he come from?

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
Huge upset at John Eales! What a great game of school boy rugby. You really forget how exciting these comps are after you leave school. Hats off to St Peters for coming away with the win, and heads up Ashgrove boys you came very close. The Peters back 3 look to be on fire at the moment with some strong expansive play against the much fancied marist back line. The Ash forwards were very good, but seemed to struggle at scrum time (very surprising).

I know im repeating what some others have already said but that no. 11 for Peters looks the goods. Where has he come from?

I think his name is Duma. He has been around for a few years but, surprisingly, he is actually meant to be playing 2nds. That Balshaw boy fractured his scull and might be out the whole season so this kid is playing up. It would be hard for him to get his spot back now though!

Wouldn’t go as far to say StPeters are the favourites this year, they still have to knock off Eddies who are the deserved favourite. That game should decide the AIC premiership.

rugby1768

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think his name is Duma. He has been around for a few years but, surprisingly, he is actually meant to be playing 2nds. That Balshaw boy fractured his scull and might be out the whole season so this kid is playing up. It would be hard for him to get his spot back now though!

Wouldn’t go as far to say StPeters are the favourites this year, they still have to knock off Eddies who are the deserved favourite. That game should decide the AIC premiership.

Really he was going to play 2nds? thats very interesting, from what i saw yesterday and what i read about him last week he would walk onto any 1st xv team in AIC. I'd even go as far as saying he would get into most GPS schools 1st xv. and no you definetly cant call peters favourites, but if they keep improving who knows. hopefully the ashgrove boys do you guys a favour and knock eddies off. Im sure they're still smarting from the loss at home to Eddies last year.

KVG91

Stan Wickham (3)
Really he was going to play 2nds? thats very interesting, from what i saw yesterday and what i read about him last week he would walk onto any 1st xv team in AIC. I'd even go as far as saying he would get into most GPS schools 1st xv. and no you definetly cant call peters favourites, but if they keep improving who knows. hopefully the ashgrove boys do you guys a favour and knock eddies off. Im sure they're still smarting from the loss at home to Eddies last year.

Yeah he is good, but have heard from a few yew old boys who are coaching that his attitude/work ethic was not the greatest at training. Who knows, maybe his performance against Marist might see him really kick on for the rest of the season.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
My concerns at the moment for the AIC competition is that i have been to a few AIC games across the city and i have noticed a large trend in coaches affialiasted to GPS schools walking around the grounds. I hope alot of the grade 11's playing aic have parents with strong resolve caus ei am expecting a few offers across the table........GPS changing their rugby season to term 3 has done nothign but inflame the scholarship situation
In what way has changing the GPS. Season to term 3 caused more poaching. Are you saying they are on the lookout. For talent for term 3 this year?

S

Saints supporter

can't tell you exactly but over the last 3-4 years the st peters coaching staff have been working really hard to improve the rugby program. They now have a state of the art weights gym, a rugby development squad that trains from the beginning of term 4, and have brought in a number of old boys as coaches (old boys from before the dark days of 06 to 10, when st peters rugby was still winning some games in the juniors). a large number of the boys playing 1xv on saturday were boys who have been at the school from year 8, and were getting thumped by 50 points every game in their first few years at st peters. so a lot of time and effort was put into the development of these boys from a young age to get them to where they are.

Couldn't agree more with AICfan but in addition to all the had work this game had an intense build up between both schools before Saturday but it all came down to the determination and fight in the Saints TEAM (both on and off the field). To have one of the players say that they could hear the supporters cheering for them even when they were losing at the end of the game, they then went on to score 2 tries in the last 10 minutes. Games like that don't happen often and it was amazing to have witnessed it... pity we can't watch a replay of it!

B

BrisbaneRugby93

Could anyone provide a breakdown of Iona's performance on Saturday? What tactics and moved worked well for them/outstanding players etc. Should be an interesting clash this weekend against St Peters as well, both teams coming off what sounds like good wins.

R

RedsFanBase

Couldn't agree more with AICfan but in addition to all the had work this game had an intense build up between both schools before Saturday but it all came down to the determination and fight in the Saints TEAM (both on and off the field). To have one of the players say that they could hear the supporters cheering for them even when they were losing at the end of the game, they then went on to score 2 tries in the last 10 minutes. Games like that don't happen often and it was amazing to have witnessed it... pity we can't watch a replay of it!
Yes Peters did win, a good win too, but it's only one win. You don't need to keep talking up the school with biassed comments. Its only making Peters look bad. It only takes 1 loss to bring the season tumbling down. A loss next week makes the win against Ashgrove all for nothing. No one from Eddies, who are the favourites, are here saying the type of things you are. This is a rugby information forum. Not a forum to talk up your school. Be humble in your win.

M

michael Simon

The St Peters vs Ashgorve game on Saturday was one of the best AIC games i have ever watched. Both teams worked hard all through out the game. St Peters 15 put the big number 11 in space and backed him up to score the first try but St Peters paid the price for silly mistakes. After all it was a good game.

The outstanding players in the ahgrove team were:
10- fearless, took the ball to the line
15-kid can kick
whole forward pack worked hard

St Peters:
12-Really fast and good with ball in hand
11-Speed and power
15-good at getting outside of his man and putting others in space and dominated the whole time. Wasnt selfish with the ball, put alot of his team mates in space when he got outside his man. Game Winner
14- fast, 15 made him look good
St Peters 15, Rambi i believe his name is, played 13 for them last year but wasnt that good at that position. he is dominating at fullback in the two games he has played so far. He outplayed the ashgrove fullback but in the second half after making few mistakes he didnt do much untill the last minute when he put the number 11 for the winning try with a long cut out pass was absolutely brilliant.
If he is going to make AIC 1, he must be consistent for the rest of the season. St Peters back three can be walk into any AIC 1'st team any given day. Their on fire.

R

Random guy

Surely the AIC 1 backline will be dominated by Eddies Players but I think its evident that one of if not the best halfback in the AIC is Joel Lui from Villa. He hasnt beent spoken about in this forum before probably due to the fact that he wasnt in the 1st XV in year 11 (he should have been) but he is tough, strong, a great tackler and has the ability to give great ball to the five-eighth even when under pressure from his opposing halfback. He also plays like a 9th forward when under pressure from opposition. I am unsure about what other halfback talent is out there but he has certainly outplayed pats, lauries and eddies halfbacks in every game so far. Thoughts on other AIC picks after 2 rounds anyone?

M

michael Simon

im inclined to agree with RedsfanBase. some of the g-ing up in the last few posts are going a bit overboard. Im a Peters fan but all this yahooing isnt going to help keep the boys feet on the ground. one game at a time people. and 'sharp eyes' you sound like one of the players, dont be silly buddy, just do it all on the field.
Agreed. Stop the g-ing up and play one game at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.