• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
All sports in AIC are moving to a year group format for 2015 e.g. Year 8 A's cricket, Year 9 A's volleyball etc etc.

The exception to this will be rugby. From what I understand rugby will be played in year groups up to and including Yr10 (Yr10 A's rugby etc) and then Yrs 11 and 12 will be played as Under 16s and Opens depending on your age. That is just their preliminary idea I believe. They may still decide to keep u13, 14 etc for rugby.

Runner

Nev Cottrell (35)
Alright so some arguments getting heated. Here's a question that's been pondering me for a while.

Who would win and by how much?

Iona College First XV 2013 vs St Edmunds College First XV 2014

Underfeated Premiers against underfeated premiers. Any 2015 teams that could match either one?

I would look at several in NSW who would take on either very comfortably.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
All sports in AIC are moving to a year group format for 2015 e.g. Year 8 A's cricket, Year 9 A's volleyball etc etc.

The exception to this will be rugby. From what I understand rugby will be played in year groups up to and including Yr10 (Yr10 A's rugby etc) and then Yrs 11 and 12 will be played as Under 16s and Opens depending on your age. That is just their preliminary idea I believe. They may still decide to keep u13, 14 etc for rugby.

I was under the impression that all of rugby would be played in age groups, most likely for safety reasons.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I was under the impression that all of rugby would be played in age groups, most likely for safety reasons.

May be that my mail was wrong. I thought they decided safety reasons in regards to age groups didn't really become a factor until the later teenage years and therefore would stick with the year groups until yr 10 and then make the transition.

Fencesitter11

Stan Wickham (3)
I believe it has to do with the change (by govt) in School year for 2015 Year 8;s. it has changed to July to June from Jan - Dec meaning now half the year is born Jul to Dec and the other half from Jan to Jun for Year 7 and below. Next Yr 8 is a "half year" (first year of the change). Year levels up to Year 8 for 2015 then up to Yr 9 2016 and so on.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
Any news on teams or injuries coming through? This threads gone a bit dead.

Suitable First XV Iona prediction:

1. Dan Sheppard (2nd XV 2014, 1st XV Bench 2014)
2. Oliver Plevey (16A's 2014)
3. Angelo Pepe (c) (1st XV 2014)
4. Ryley Morton (16A's 2014, Ext. 1st Xv Bench 2014)
5. Ryan Homes (16A's 2014)
6. Tim Albion/Brenton Smith (15A's 2014, 16A's 2014/1st XV Bench 2014)
7. Moss Mckenzie (16A's 2014)
8. Zayne Holleran (Injured 2014, would have played 1st XV if not)
9. Matt Luck (16A's 2014)
10. Kyle Cook (vc) (16A's 2014, 1st XV Bench 2014)
11. Cody Ryland/Luke Slack (Both 16A's 2014)
12. Kyle Kinsella (16A's 2014, 1st XV Bench 2014)
13. Michael Dickie (vc) (1st XV 2014)
14. Nassif Ghanem (16A's 2014)
15. Will Feeney (15A's 2014)

Also would like to report that Iona 15A's and future 1st XV centre Triston Stanghon has accepted a scholarship to Churchie. A considerable loss to Iona, considering he was only in year 9 this year and likely would have played 3 years in the 1st XV.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty sure that Henry Devine played only 2 years of First XV at Ash, and unlike Brad Wilkin he was only turning 17 last year.

I could be wrong, but I can't remember anyone playing 3 years of Firsts at Ash since Dean Patterson in 1980-1982, and the only Under 15 I can ever remember playing Firsts at Ash over the last 40 years or so was Daniel Herbert, who was in Year 11 at the time ( played 12 outside Pat Howard, if I recall correctly, in Year 11 and broke his wrist and didn't play at all in Year 12).
Pat Devery & Graeme Bond both played 3 yrs in the firsts. Graeme also made Qld Schoolboys in grade 10 (he was 16). He did get injured in grade 11 and missed most of the season. Pat also made the First XI in grade 10.
Sorry guys - off topic from the thread and shows my age, but thought it was their achievements were worthy of the correction.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
Pat Devery & Graeme Bond both played 3 yrs in the firsts. Graeme also made Qld Schoolboys in grade 10 (he was 16). He did get injured in grade 11 and missed most of the season. Pat also made the First XI in grade 10.
Sorry guys - off topic from the thread and shows my age, but thought it was their achievements were worthy of the correction.

Matt Bourke from Iona College also played 3 years, alongside Brad Wilkin.

rugbywatch

Larry Dwyer (12)
Possible Padua Line Up.

1. Tom O'Toole
2. Liam Usher
3. Jed Chapman
4. Sonny Ah San
5. Michael Wood
6. ??
7. Fraser Holding
8. Louis Schwenke
9. Ben Warfield
10. Harrison Pankhurst
11. Zac O'Donnell
12. Lawson Creighton
13. Ben Harvey
14. Michael Cheer
15. John Honour

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
Possible Padua Line Up.

1. Tom O'Toole
2. Liam Usher
3. Jed Chapman
4. Sonny Ah San
5. Michael Wood
6. ??
7. Fraser Holding
8. Louis Schwenke
9. Ben Warfield
10. Harrison Pankhurst
11. Zac O'Donnell
12. Lawson Creighton
13. Ben Harvey
14. Michael Cheer
15. John Honour

Fraser Holding at 7? I thought he played 2 this year? I'v never heard of a hooker/flanker utility player.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
Fraser Holding at 7? I thought he played 2 this year? I'v never heard of a hooker/flanker utility player.

you've never heard of a hooker/ open-side utility in schoolboy rugby? That's pretty standard mate, you must be looking for a bite? Regardless, Fraser will probably struggle to make the top XV with the younger forwards coming through.

themanonthehill

Frank Row (1)
Hello boys of Iona
Loving the smack talking but round 7 at villa park will be where it will all be settled.
Villanova 1st XV line up will be the fastest in AIC along with some absolutle raw power and skill.
People may say villa 16's where crap but they were missing key players in key positions due to injury or playing 1st XV footy
The likes of
Adam rankin the kid is huge, working hard in the off session. Will be putting dickie on his ass all day long
Ethan Henderson is an absoulte monster, playing 1st xv first in 2014 helped his game and will be a key forward next year.
Thomas Cronin his dancing feet and blistering pace will be carving up the outside backs from other teams all session long.
Max baker the kids a freak of nature and will be teaching matt luck a thing or two about playing half back.
Villa will also have players from the 15's in 2014 stepping up and playing most likely Sam Lacey. This bloke is coming for Kyle cook and will be putting him in a hospital bed by half time when he comes flying of the scrum
Finally Damos mulchay is set to show will Feeney what playing full back is all about and probably steam rolling his way to the line after putting on serious mass in off season
See you boys out there

themanonthehill

Frank Row (1)
I have heard some news about some of the villa boys strengths and weaknesses. This is a eye opener for ALL schools in AIC. Adam rankins apparent comparison to Michael dickie is somewhat of a joke, as the little fella would barely be able to wrap both his arms around Michaels leg. It is nice to see some confidence from the boys over at villa, but unfortunately the evidence put forward to back up this confidence is rubbish. Damon. M may have packed on a bit of size and strength, but his height leaves him with a chance at landing a spot in the new hobbit movie and that's about it! This Tom. Cronin, sounds like he could be a bit of a weapon if it wasn't for his excuse ridden performances. I'm sympathetic for your friend, Ethan, does he really have the testicular strength to mark up against Angelo Pepe. I guess its just a waiting game now. Best of luck in your 8th spot endeavors as thats the best you could possibly do.
From what I hear you boys haven't even started training at a high level yet and for this Angelo Pepe bloke Ive watched him play and to be honest I could lift him up and put him on his back, then run rings around you. Have fun trying to compete when the coach picks people who played 16b's

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
MODS NOTE.

This is not facebook or some other schoolyard tittle tattle forum.

Please read the Green and Gold Rugby forum rules, and contribute in a mature and sensible manner.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
Heads up Iona and Villa boys. The teams that often talk themselves up the most often perform the worst come game time. I will say however that Iona have the edge over Villa in terms of raw physical talent and team cooperation. I also believe they will place higher than expected.

Iona's 16A's placed 4th in 2014 while Villas 16A's placed 8th.
Iona's 15A's placed 3rd in 2014 while Villas 15A's placed 7th.

As for 1st XV returning players, Michael Dickie is a powerhouse centre (AIC 1 for sure) and Dan Sheppard played rep rugby for England prior to coming to Aus. Can anyone from Iona confirm whether Nathan Marshall is still at Iona? I heard he got a scholarship to BBC or Churchie.

Anyway, here's the ladder for 2015. With stand out players.

1. Padua (O'toole)
2. SEC (Macdonald, Auld, Anae)
3. MCA (O'connor)
4. Iona (Dickie, Shepperd)
5. SPLC (Wolf, Tapitata)
6. SPC (Sikimeti, Cecil)
7. Villa
8. SLC (McHugh)

Status
Not open for further replies.