• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saecom

Peter Burge (5)
Spot on Galloper.

Whilst I understand lots of current young AIC forum members want to believe AIC will get several players in the QLD Schools teams the reality is different.

GPS has gradually gone up - effectively becoming an 18 year old "professional" competition with only the exceptional 17 or 16 year old making a team. I believe the QRU and ARU are quietly happy about this as it creates several high level "rugby academies" without them footing the bill. All this has gradually happened. Nudgee, Churchie and TSS have been at this for 15 years or more.

AIC on the other hand has slipped back. Yes, agree schools like Padua, St Patrick's, St Peter's and St Edmund's have lifted from the days when they were easy beats for Ashgrove, St Laurence's and Iona. Full kudos to them and well done for doing this. However there can be no escaping the blunt facts that Ashgrove, St Laurence's and Iona do not have the players (and maybe the coaches?) they had several years ago. They are much weaker and at the same time Padua and the others are stronger. This is why AIC is now a closer competition with more schools winning. If you go back 10 years ago AIC always got a few (to several players) in QLD I (mostly ASH, SLC and IONA but with outstanding players from other AIC schools). This was even when several GPS schools had their "academies".

AIC has become the "amateur" 16 and 17 year old competition between schools of close standard. Several schools have lifted, the traditional heavyweights have dropped. Meanwhile GPS skims off the cream to go into their "professional" competition.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Looking onto 2016's season what are everyone's predictions? I have a feeling it will be another strong season for Padua and Ashgrove, looks like these two schools are top 2 rugby schools in AIC at the moment. Padua's 16A, 16B and 16C all won premierships this year and with 6 year 11's in their current First XV for 2015, they will be hard to beat next year. Ashgrove as always will be very strong and I can see them up there again. Don't really know much about the other schools at this stage. I have heard Iona 2017 will be their strong year, will they have a few year 11's playing next year? This years Iona team was below the standard we are used to seeing from the Black and White. We may not see another Iona team like the 2013 one for a while, they were the real deal.

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
Looking onto 2016's season what are everyone's predictions? I have a feeling it will be another strong season for Padua and Ashgrove, looks like these two schools are top 2 rugby schools in AIC at the moment. Padua's 16A, 16B and 16C all won premierships this year and with 6 year 11's in their current First XV for 2015, they will be hard to beat next year. Ashgrove as always will be very strong and I can see them up there again. Don't really know much about the other schools at this stage. I have heard Iona 2017 will be their strong year, will they have a few year 11's playing next year? This years Iona team was below the standard we are used to seeing from the Black and White. We may not see another Iona team like the 2013 one for a while, they were the real deal.
They have 5-7 starting players returning next year, they'll do better than the did this year.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
I have written about this before but it just keeps popping up, the promising 2017 year for IONA was based on the strength of the 2014 14A premiers, which was a strong team, however after the lost of Key players to GPS the now 15A team has become a just average team, only winning against weak teams such as Peters and Villa, and not what you call strong wins.

I am also aware that numerous people were not happy with coaches/selections, which may have some merit when you look at the performance of their B team undefeated Premiers, and the score some like 150 points to nil combine against Padua and Villa alone.
Iona will improve over the next few years but IMO don't see any teams such as Iona 2013 coming anytime soon.

For what I can see for the next few years will be a two horse race between Padua and Marist, however you never can write of teams such as Peters and Eddies who have on numerous occasion shown nothing in the younger age groups then miraculous a few "new" boys turn to make a strong team.

harriez_94

Frank Nicholson (4)
In regards for 2016, I'd have to back up what has already been said about a two horse race between Ashgrove and Padua. I am bias towards Ashgrove, and have watched the 16A's of this year right through since the start (friend of a father of one of the boys). I believe what will hopefully win Ashgrove a much needed premiership in the firsts is there diversity. They will have size, speed and skill all around the park (as I'm sure most schools will). In particular the workrates of their forward pack is something I have picked up on, in particular the hooker, number 8 and second row (McCall who played firsts for a couple of games). They may not be the fanciest players, but they will get the job done and I think that is what is needed. COmbine this with the speed (McCarthy on the wing, fastest 100m in Australia for under 16's i believe), I honestly think they will be the team to beat even though they went down to Padua by 3 this year.

Mind you I could talk all day about them, it's just whether they are able to walk the walk.. Will be interesting to see.

Rugby1969

Frank Row (1)
I find it amazing to read some of the comments posted on this forum in recent days regarding Padua college winning the AIC First XV premiership this year. It appears to me that a number of "supporters" (I won't mention from which school) believe that their school have a mortgage on this title and also positions in the AIC combined schools team. How about the Padua players and coaches are given the credit they deserve. They have come a very long way in recent years and to win their first undefeated premiership is an outstanding achievement. Some people need to start being a little more humble in defeat - remembering that this competition is still schoolboy rugby and not the world cup. All teams whether win. lose or draw deserve to be treated with the respect for their sporting abilities in a forum such as this and not put down by saying that they are not as good as teams in the past or other teams had injuries or Padua played dirty etc. This is not what school sport is about. It is about young men doing their best and a possible premiership is just one of the rewards on offer.

Padua college have done the hard yard over several years to achieve this years title - remembering a few years back when a group of young players from Padua travelled to Armidale to contest the u12 Schoolboys Armidale rugby titles and came away with the title - given that none of the big schools outside of Qld even knew who Padua was or where they were from and showed them no respect until the end of the weekend. Several of these boys played in this years First XV's and the rest, who also won this years u16A title undefeated, will be there in 2016.

So if several "supporters", who are quick to put down Padua, or any other school for that matter, think their school has an automatic right to the title then think again. Any team can win if they put in the effort.

I wish to also take this opportunity to congratulate all the players from all schools who took part in this years AIC games. Great viewing each and every weekend. Congrats to Ashgrove for their overall aggregate win this year - obviously some great years ahead. Well done also to SLC for their turn around from last year.

Oh and yes I am a Padua Parent and am very proud of all that the boys have achieved this year and beyond.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
I find it amazing to read some of the comments posted on this forum in recent days regarding Padua college winning the AIC First XV premiership this year. It appears to me that a number of "supporters" (I won't mention from which school) believe that their school have a mortgage on this title and also positions in the AIC combined schools team. How about the Padua players and coaches are given the credit they deserve. They have come a very long way in recent years and to win their first undefeated premiership is an outstanding achievement. Some people need to start being a little more humble in defeat - remembering that this competition is still schoolboy rugby and not the world cup. All teams whether win. lose or draw deserve to be treated with the respect for their sporting abilities in a forum such as this and not put down by saying that they are not as good as teams in the past or other teams had injuries or Padua played dirty etc. This is not what school sport is about. It is about young men doing their best and a possible premiership is just one of the rewards on offer.

Padua college have done the hard yard over several years to achieve this years title - remembering a few years back when a group of young players from Padua travelled to Armidale to contest the u12 Schoolboys Armidale rugby titles and came away with the title - given that none of the big schools outside of Qld even knew who Padua was or where they were from and showed them no respect until the end of the weekend. Several of these boys played in this years First XV's and the rest, who also won this years u16A title undefeated, will be there in 2016.

So if several "supporters", who are quick to put down Padua, or any other school for that matter, think their school has an automatic right to the title then think again. Any team can win if they put in the effort.

I wish to also take this opportunity to congratulate all the players from all schools who took part in this years AIC games. Great viewing each and every weekend. Congrats to Ashgrove for their overall aggregate win this year - obviously some great years ahead. Well done also to SLC for their turn around from last year.

Oh and yes I am a Padua Parent and am very proud of all that the boys have achieved this year and beyond.

Couldn't agree more with this post. It's not like Padua has done this over night. They have been working towards this for a while. I know for a fact that Padua always had talented players in the past, just a lack of rugby knowledge compared to other schools hurt them. Padua had a few good years before their maiden premiership in 2011 as well, their 2007-2008 and 2010 teams were relatively strong finishing around 4th-5th, just a bit unlucky not to do as well as they should of. But that is the difference between the coaching then and now. The coaching has helped immensely in recent years with the introduction of strength and conditioning coaches. Mind you, the Ashgrove and Lauries teams of that 2007-2010 era were a level above to what they are now and I mean that with no disrespect to the current teams but that's just the case.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
Spot on Galloper.

Whilst I understand lots of current young AIC forum members want to believe AIC will get several players in the QLD Schools teams the reality is differc

GPS has gradually gone up - effectively becoming an 18 year old "professional" competition with only the exceptional 17 or 16 year old making a team. I believe the QRU and ARU are quietly happy about this as it creates several high level "rugby academies" without them footing the bill. All this has gradually happenedNudgee, Churchie and TSS have been at this for 15 years or more.
AIC on the other hand has slipped back. Yes, agree schools like Padua, St Patrick's, St Peter's and St Edmund's have lifted from the days when they were easy beats for Ashgrove, St Laurence's and Iona. Full kudos to them and well done for doing this. However there can be no escaping the blunt facts that Ashgrove, St Laurence's and Iona do not have the players (and maybe the coaches?) they had several years ago. They are much weaker and at the same time Padua and the others are stronger. This is why AIC is now a closer competition with more schools winning. If you go back 10 years ago AIC always got a few (to several players) in QLD I (mostly ASH, SLC and IONA but with outstanding players from other AIC schools). This was even when several GPS schools had their "academies".

AIC has become the "amateur" 16 and 17 year old competition between schools of close standard. Several schools have lifted, the traditional heavyweights have dropped. Meanwhile GPS skims off the cream to go into their "professional" competition.

Congratulations on a well written and accurate thread. you are correct in everything you say.Most pundits think Nudgee will win the GPS comp this year with TSS and BBC running for 2nd. Each of those schools have between 7 and 8 players who will be 18 this year. Nudgee have 2 aussie schoolboys and 2 Qld 1 players repeating and BBC have 3 Qld 1 players and 2 aussie 7 players.The concept of boys ( in many cases starting in year 10)doing grades 11&12 over 3 yearsIMO started in 2002 when TSS brought in a host of new boys and ended up with 7 or 8 boys in Aussie schoolboys team. It is undeniable that 18 year olds are usually bigger and stronger than most 17 year olds . The schools promote this concept and in many cases ( if you are in the QRU under 18 squad with Carozza) the QRU suggests it. The competitions are getting further apart as shown by :
1) GPS 1 beating AIC by 50 last year;
2) BBC putting 60 points on Ashgrove this year.
again you are correct in saying many GPS schools are rugby academies: as the vast majority board( during rugby season)and train 2x a day.
as you say it is not right or wrong-just the way it is.
In All other states and in NZ and SA boys finish school at 18.

Big Fella28

Bob McCowan (2)
Can someone help me out here....I understand that Ashgrove won the third XV premiership by a point over Padua but Ashgrove played one more game than Padua. How can that be. My understanding is that there is an even number of games and if there is a washout, all games are washed out....look forward to an explanation.

PC15

Frank Row (1)
Can someone help me out here..I understand that Ashgrove won the third XV premiership by a point over Padua but Ashgrove played one more game than Padua. How can that be. My understanding is that there is an even number of games and if there is a washout, all games are washed out..look forward to an explanation.
Apparently what happened is that in round one where it was washed out ashgrove thirds had a scheduled bye against st Edmunds thirds so they were guaranteed the points. As the round was washed out no games were played and no one was awarded points except ashgrove thirds as they were given the points for the bye. So at the end of the season ashgrove and padua both only lost one game but in round one Marist were given points for the bye whereas padua got none as their game was washed out

Big Fella28

Bob McCowan (2)
Apparently what happened is that in round one where it was washed out ashgrove thirds had a scheduled bye against st Edmunds thirds so they were guaranteed the points. As the round was washed out no games were played and no one was awarded points except ashgrove thirds as they were given the points for the bye. So at the end of the season ashgrove and padua both only lost one game but in round one Marist were given points for the bye whereas padua got none as their game was washed out

That is ridiculous....if all games are washed out then you shouldn't get points for the bye.....what a surprise MCA benefit from a ridiculous rule....

Bill45

Frank Row (1)
Ashgrove was the only team that did not get points in round one as no points are awarded for a bye; all other schools received one point for that round (Draw). Ashgrove then got to play 6 games with all other schools getting 5 games and a bye (No Points).This all came about because SEC did not field a team in the thirds only grade that had this problem. So in the end Ashgrove had 5wins, 1 loss, 1bye and Padua 4 wins, 1 loss, 1 washout and a bye .

The Ballkid

Herbert Moran (7)
Ashgrove was the only team that did not get points in round one as no points are awarded for a bye; all other schools received one point for that round (Draw). Ashgrove then got to play 6 games with all other schools getting 5 games and a bye (No Points).This all came about because SEC did not field a team in the thirds only grade that had this problem. So in the end Ashgrove had 5wins, 1 loss, 1bye and Padua 4 wins, 1 loss, 1 washout and a bye .

St Peters did not have a team either. I think all teams played the Ashgrove 4ths instead but I don't think this counted towards points.
Padua certainly drew the short straw on this occasion. If what you are saying is correct in regards to recieveing no points for byes it just turns out to be unfortunate for the Padua boys. If they did get points that is unfair but then again Ashgrove would protest that they didn't get their bye points. Lose/Lose situation.

Are Eddies usually able to field a 3rds?
I believe SPC may struggle getting numbers for a 3rd team next year as they were only able to have one 16's team which had a normal sized bench.

Status
Not open for further replies.