• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Joseph

Bob McCowan (2)
Congratulations to the boys selected for QLD. 5 AIC reps is a good result. Hopefully even more next year. How Tom O'Toole didn't get a starting spot is beyond me. Let's hope he proves the QLD selectors foolish at Nationals. Let the rugby do the talking.
Agreed re O'Toole should have been a run on. Maybe it was the scrumming they were after. Adams was shadow prop for Qld sides and turned down this and a spot in Combined States.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't get too wrapped up about the "starting number" of O'Toole. Qld teams at Nationals seldom run out there "best" team until the Thursday games, and by then the "best team" will have been hit by some injuries, or "battlers" with bench numbers will be performing so well at training and on game day that they may get a start in the big game against NSW.

Last year #19 and #20 from NSW1 were selected for the Australian Schoolboys. Given the selection rankings mean that the NSW 1 Bench players allegedly rank behind the NSW2 Bench and NSW 1 and NSW 2 Starting Players (1-15), does this goes to show that the selectors "get it wrong"?

No, it just means that another group of selectors saw something in those boys differently to what the NSW Selectors saw. Just one blokes opinion on one day with no guarantee that they would think the same way on a different day under different circumstances.

In many respects, where O'Toole ends up is almost entirely within his hands. Play the house down at Nationals and anything can happen. Pack a sad and give up because he is on the bench is a sure way to guarantee he won't get selected for Aust Schoolboys or Schoolboy Barbarians.

By all accounts the lad sounds like he is the type of player that will do the former rather than latter, and he could go far.

OU812

Stan Wickham (3)
Agreed re O'Toole should have been a run on. Maybe it was the scrumming they were after. Adams was shadow prop for Qld sides and turned down this and a spot in Combined States.

Liam Adam and Joel Kuchel are technically the two best tight head props at schoolboy level.
Braden Schiller and Tom O'Tool are technically the two best loose head props at qld schoolboy level.

None were selected in qld1 but 3 of them are still in the mix. Adams deserved a shot.

The Ballkid

Herbert Moran (7)
Congratulations to the boys selected for QLD. 5 AIC reps is a good result. Hopefully even more next year. How Tom O'Toole didn't get a starting spot is beyond me. Let's hope he proves the QLD selectors foolish at Nationals. Let the rugby do the talking.

I know Drew Mitchell (along with others I imagine) was selected in Australian Schoolboys from QLD 2 so certainly the team your selected in doesn't necessarily mean anything. It comes down to performance at the champs.

Also though, I think O'Toole being only in Grade 11 may have helped selectors with there decisions knowing full well that he would get a another crack next year. They will be very keen to see how he performs at the titles.

ruggasXV

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The selectors seem to have chosen a front row/tight five based on size and not scrummaging ability, given that the Qld 1 props got embarrassed at trials. Perhaps its necessary though since the 18 yr olds from across the boarder will no doubt be packing some serious weight.

Agree that Adams was very hard done by.

Blue & white

Billy Sheehan (19)
There is also 2 ex-Lauries boys there as well. Both were offered scholarships to GPS schools.

Do we know if there are any other former AIC boys in the squads?

i hear 2 Lauries boys are now at Gregory Terrace (lot of new boys at GT since they "opened the books including 2 league boys from Cav Rd)

wendpt

Stan Wickham (3)
i hear 2 Lauries boys are now at Gregory Terrace (lot of new boys at GT since they "opened the books including 2 league boys from Cav Rd)

Yes there is - they have lost 6 in total from their under 15's to GPS schools (Iona 4 I understand in the same age group) that we have talked about before. Year 8 and 9's are now the greatest risk of being poached. Lauries has been trying to address this and the old boys are now heavily involved.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
Yes there is - they have lost 6 in total from their under 15's to GPS schools (Iona 4 I understand in the same age group) that we have talked about before.

Do you know what positions or names I doubt there was 2 boys at SLC or Iona that would make GT's 15A's or do you mean U16's in 2015.

wendpt

Stan Wickham (3)
Do you know what positions or names I doubt there was 2 boys at SLC or Iona that would make GT's 15A's or do you mean U16's in 2015.[/quote

I am not familiar with the names, but if they were all still at Lauries and Iona they would have been playing under 15 this year for those schools.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
Any team predictions for the 2016 season?

I suspect it will be another closely contested battle between the north side schools of Marist College Ashgrove and Padua College Kedron. These two schools arguably have been the most consistent in the last 5 years IMO at first XV, eddies also puts forward a strong case. The future looks very bright for both schools as well. I also predict a stronger Lauries side next year. They have been below Lauries strong standards in the past 4 years or so, it will be good to see them back up there again.

Top four for 2016 prediction:

1. Padua College Kedron
2. Marist College Ashgrove
3. St. Laurence's College South Brisbane
4. St. Patrick's College Shorncliffe

Patrick Joseph

Bob McCowan (2)
A nice fitting wrap up of Padua College's undefeated AIC season for 2015, congratulations to them once again.[/quote]
great video! Heartbreaking that our first premiership was only played against 6 schools.

AICrugby101

Herbert Moran (7)
A nice fitting wrap up of Padua College's undefeated AIC season for 2015, congratulations to them once again.
great video! Heartbreaking that our first premiership was only played against 6 schools.[/quote]

Padua did win a shared premiership in 2011 and all games were played. The 2011 season was arguably the closest season in AIC history. Interestingly, the majority of AIC followers weren't predicting a premiership season from both Padua and Eddies that year. They both were dark horses that played their cards right. That just proves sometimes that the underdog name tag can really work in your favour. Looking at the results this year, I'm pretty sure that Padua would of comfortably beaten Lauries in round 1 if the game was played but the weather proved to be winner that day.

behindthescenes

Allen Oxlade (6)
With 4 QLD schoolboys (2 who are still year 11) and a convincing undefeated premiership in 2015, I hope the doubters can now acknowledge the quality of this year's Padua 1stXV. I recall a number of weeks ago some posters dismissing Padua's dominance as nothing more than the best of a poor pack. There was even chat about the Ashgrove Pack being better than Padua's...

The talk about this year's Padua side not even being competitive against teams like the Iona 2013 team (1 QLD schoolboy), is absolute rubbish.

The 2015 Padua team (& possibly the 2016) team will be remembered. Well done all involved!

Derick Slater

Chris McKivat (8)
With 4 QLD schoolboys (2 who are still year 11) and a convincing undefeated premiership in 2015, I hope the doubters can now acknowledge the quality of this year's Padua 1stXV. I recall a number of weeks ago some posters dismissing Padua's dominance as nothing more than the best of a poor pack. There was even chat about the Ashgrove Pack being better than Padua's.

The talk about this year's Padua side not even being competitive against teams like the Iona 2013 team (1 QLD schoolboy), is absolute rubbish.

The 2015 Padua team (& possibly the 2016) team will be remembered. Well done all involved!

I don't want to sound like a buzzkill but the Iona comment isn't entirely true... the competitiveness of 2013 was WAY ahead of this year. Also I thought there was only 3 Padua boys selected?

Status
Not open for further replies.