• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Wang away.

Keep the posts within the rules of the Schoolboy Forum and we will all be happy.

Zero tolerance for trolls, or clowns. Do not feed or encourage them, just hit the Report button and justice will be done.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ashgrove are training hard with a very strong squad for next year. A number of returning players in key positions from this year's first side. Adding to this is a stack of talent from the under 16 side that has been undefeated for two years. There will also be some quality players from this year's under 15 squad also pushing for selection. Dave Miles is the head coach and will bring a lot to the squad. These boys will be extremely fit. I am biased but they will be the front runners for the title.

Laurie's have a very talented side as well and the game with Ashgrove will be a war. Iona and St Patrick's will have a stack of under 16 players in their sides and will be right up there. I can see them being the front runners in 2018. Padua will fall off a little bit this year and I can't see them being as strong as the previous two years. I am unsure as to how many returning players St Peter's have for next year, it also depends on who rocks up to the school on scholarship, can never be underestimated. Their under 16 side from 2016 will not provide much if this year's results are to be taken into account.

St Edmunds will struggle again this year as will Villanova. They will battle it out for the wooden spoon in my opinion. Should be a very competitive season.

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ashgrove under Dave miles would have to be hot favourites, certainly agree with this. Their 16a group was particularly strong this year. Can anyone confirm what's happened at lauries with the 1sts coaches? last I heard they were going to be replaced?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Ashgrove under Dave miles would have to be hot favourites, certainly agree with this. Their 16a group was particularly strong this year. Can anyone confirm what's happened at lauries with the 1sts coaches? last I heard they were going to be replaced?

I'm told that Lauries have retained the same coaches for their First XV.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Ashgrove are training hard with a very strong squad for next year. A number of returning players in key positions from this year's first side. Adding to this is a stack of talent from the under 16 side that has been undefeated for two years. There will also be some quality players from this year's under 15 squad also pushing for selection. Dave Miles is the head coach and will bring a lot to the squad. These boys will be extremely fit. I am biased but they will be the front runners for the title.

Laurie's have a very talented side as well and the game with Ashgrove will be a war. Iona and St Patrick's will have a stack of under 16 players in their sides and will be right up there. I can see them being the front runners in 2018. Padua will fall off a little bit this year and I can't see them being as strong as the previous two years. I am unsure as to how many returning players St Peter's have for next year, it also depends on who rocks up to the school on scholarship, can never be underestimated. Their under 16 side from 2016 will not provide much if this year's results are to be taken into account.

St Edmunds will struggle again this year as will Villanova. They will battle it out for the wooden spoon in my opinion. Should be a very competitive season.

Fair Assessment Supersid I can confirm that the Lauries coaches have been given another season which was quite controversial and have been training hard. They have high expectations for a successful season with quite a few returning from last years and a strong 16 year old age group.

There is some rumours running around that Ashgrove have recruited a few boys to fill out this years team can you confirm or deny.

From what I have seen Ashgrove, Lauries St Pats and Padua will be a very high standard and with a bit of a drop off for the others.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
I'm not sure where the rumours of "imports' at Ashgrove are coming from, almost certainly untrue.

Brendan Kiernan, who has coached GPS Prem Colts, will be assisting Dave Miles next year, so a brand new coaching team for 2107 who look like they will have plenty to work with without any late arrivals.

Theclassicmeatpie

Bob McCowan (2)
Villa will be looking to improve next year after not the best season. With new First XV coaches and a new structure of play, things seem to be improving for the green and gold. I've heard from sources that the squad is working well together and have a big pre-season coming up with a trip to NZ. I'm picking them to be the dark horses of the competition in 2017.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Be very careful about talk of imports/scholarships etc. This sort of talk often gets out of hand very quickly as emotion kicks in.

End result is the thread gets hijacked, with folks banned and posts deleted.

Take that sort of talk to the Scholarship thread. Just talk about the rugby here.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Be very careful about talk of imports/scholarships etc. This sort of talk often gets out of hand very quickly as emotion kicks in.

End result is the thread gets hijacked, with folks banned and posts deleted.

Take that sort of talk to the Scholarship thread. Just talk about the rugby here.

Fair Call Hugh

You do realise that reduces the GPS thread to four posts

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
I'm told that Lauries have retained the same coaches for their First XV.
I was speaking with people involved at Souths and they mentioned this, I am genuinely stunned by this. I was told the last 4 seasons have seen lauries win only 2 games and the reappointment has left players, parents and old boys fuming, some players are threatening to pull out of rugby as a result of this, enormous shame if this is true

neverhasbeen

Stan Wickham (3)
I was speaking with people involved at Souths and they mentioned this, I am genuinely stunned by this. I was told the last 4 seasons have seen lauries win only 2 games and the reappointment has left players, parents and old boys fuming, some players are threatening to pull out of rugby as a result of this, enormous shame if this is true
I can confirm this after speaking with a number of players involved in their development squad. They are also dumbfounded with what they are doing at training as there is more talking than action done. So a number of players are questioning what they are doing only to be told that they are the players and have no position to question the coaches.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Boys I would not bag the coaches too much Lauries have the worst facilities with no survivable Gym (Although this is about to change) and not a blade of grass available to train on in the school grounds. The main field is not even the size of one football field and is artificial grass. Runcorn or "The Corn" as it is called is a disgrace and is an embarrassment when you look at all the other facilities in the AIC.

The management levels of the school have given all sports very little in the way of support in the past few years and it has shown in results and outcomes.

Please remember that the coaches are primarily teachers who apart from actually teaching students do not have the luxury of much outside assistance e.g. Guy at Ashgrove who coached Prem colts at GPS. So I will always give them a pass on effort.

Supersid

Allen Oxlade (6)
The rugby program at Laurie's has improved over the last couple of years. They will be up near the top for the next few years, judging by the 2016 results. The outside assistance at Ashgrove who coached Premier Colts at GPS is actually a teacher at the school and has been for a long time.

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
Facilities issues aside, how is 2 wins acceptable? We're there no other options as coaches? Ashgrove replaced their coaches and their previous coach is a qld schools coach, I guess that's the difference in standards of success?

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Lauries won 2nd XV and finished second in 16As last season. Coaches deserve to see how they can go with some talent.

Iona, with a stack of players from this year's undefeated u15 side will be the dark horse. Look out for a big front row out Wynnum way for the next 2 years with inside backs that will be the best in the comp.

Villa, with their Ben Mowen Squad initiative, will be the big improver across all A teams. They will be very fit and skilled.

Padua will fall away dramatically next year after three strong seasons and 2 consecutive premierships.

Eddies are going to try hard but not have the depth. Again.

St Patrick's will be very competitive but won't get consistency until 18/19 seasons.

St.Peters will be good again. Don't underestimate again.

If Ashgrove can stay fit, and have more creativity outside of their 10, they will be hard to beat. It's been a long time between premierships and that always comes with additional pressures that haven't been overcome in recent seasons.

Happy off season AIC.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The one guy that springs to mind is the young Connors lad from St Pats

He had a ways to go last campaign but if he puts the work in and he wants it enough - he could surprise a lot of people

Status
Not open for further replies.