• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Anybody got any word on the 3rd XV comp this year?
Last year the 3rds comp was far more exciting than the 1st XV... can we expect the same​

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Any word on St Pats v SH, and MCA in NZ.
Looking forward to a great season which will hopefully see alot of close games.
AIC predictions?

Stan Wickham (3)
SPC V BSHS, Good game from pats winning 5 tries to 4 in a tough and physical battle. Pats improved dramatically since their last game against lauries. Hard hitting defence and quick line speed saw bshs behind the advantage line time and time again.

It looks like pats are going to really struggle this year with their in play kicking with numerous penaltys and kicks inside their 22m not making it into touch. Outstanding players were; SPC fullback (2nd half) Num 8 (2nd half) and their number 7 all game

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Ashgrove played Cranbrook (CAS, Sydney) at home this afternoon and won 38-19.

The scoreline is a bit misleading however, Ash were leading 38-7 at the end of the 2nd period (game played in thirds,not halves) before taking 5-6 starters off and giving some of the younger boys a run. Length of the field intercept try to Cranbrook on the bell too just as Ash looked set to score in the corner.

Ashgrove were good at times and looked likely to put 60 on the opposition before their play got a bit loose and scrappy, but I doubt the coaches would have been overly happy. One of the sescond rowers broke an arm or collarbone very early as well, so probably lost him for the season.

I did note that the Ash boys were constantly running drills on a back oval for at least 45 minutes right up to game time, so a bit of fatigue might have set in towards the end as well.

Ashgrove's strength is in the backs, with the back 3 in particular potentially deadly with any room to move, although Emosi Tuquiri was definitely best afield and looking far fitter and more mobile than last year.

Ashgrove will be a contender this year, but on today's showing they've still got a fair bit of work to do.

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Yes, spot on Galloper. Ashgrove's early ball movement was very impressive. The #1 would be the most skilful schoolboy prop I've ever seen. Phenomenal.

Like the majority of trials

- a few positional experiments today
- intensity was patchy
- plenty of rotation
- a few dropped balls particularly In receipt of kick offs

But good to see the ref not make it "all about him". A couple of cards and a few cautions but his generally sensible approach contributed to a good open trial game.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Yes, spot on Galloper. Ashgrove's early ball movement was very impressive. The #1 would be the most skilful schoolboy prop I've ever seen. Phenomenal.

Like the majority of trials

- a few positional experiments today
- intensity was patchy
- plenty of rotation
- a few dropped balls particularly In receipt of kick offs

But good to see the ref not make it "all about him". A couple of cards and a few cautions but his generally sensible approach contributed to a good open trial game.

Yep, without knowing exactly what the coaches have in mind, I thought there was a bit of experimentation with the starting forward pack, and maybe one or two missing.

Downes worked pretty hard but I suspect that they will want him hitting it up a bit wider than he was today playing as a lock. Kelemete Uelese at 6 was a bit of a surprise today, to me at least, made a heap of ground through the middle and looked very good.

If Emosi can keep today's form up he'll have to make a Qld schools side, incredible ball skills at 130kg.

AIC Footy

Frank Row (1)
AIC 2017 Prediction:

MCA – Another strong this side this year. Big forward pack with a skill full backline. They will be very hard to beat.
PADUA – Winners of the Ballymore Cup, have a strong backline and will definitely be premiership contenders.
LAURIES – Several players backing up in their second/third years of firsts XV. Did well last year in 16’s and will do the same again this year.
VILLA – New coaching staff this year and could be a dark horse. Have had a solid preseason including a successful tour in NZ.
PETERS – Another team with a very strong backline. If the forwards can step up and win the set piece this side will have a very competitive season.
PATS – Will play a young side this year with many year 11’s stepping up. Won’t be “easy-beats” but the youngsters will struggle against the more experienced sides.
IONA – Had a good season last year in 16’s. But preseason form hasn’t been great. Iona will struggle this year.
EDDIES – Unfortunately it will be another tough season for Eddies. Quite a few players backing up from last year, and they could potentially produce a few upsets.

This year will be a very interesting season. Good luck to all!

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
MCA came out on top of a spirited SLC this afternoon. SLC played well, never gave up with not many mistakes. MCAs first half was very very average. Second half got better as they ground SLC down but still probably not upto expectations with a few big names needing to improve workrate and the team as a whole reduce errors. I think the end score was in the order of 5 tries to 2. Best for MCA was 7 and 10 (some great kicking), whilst for SLC 9 an15.
Good to see SLC back.
Any other reports?

Reactions: MCA

BlindSide6

Allen Oxlade (6)
Padua 53-19 Iona . Padua backline very slick. Some real talent on show. Only question about Padua will be the size of their pack and their front row in particular. That is a comparison on their premiership teams from the last 2 years who were very strong up front. Definitely not meant as insult on current lads just they are nowhere near as big as previous teams Also a few standouts in the forwards in Tevega and Fox. Next week against Marist will be very interesting. Expecting Marist to be stronger but it should be a great battle.

ThisOlThing

Bob McCowan (2)
MCA came out on top of a spirited SLC this afternoon. SLC played well, never gave up with not many mistakes. MCAs first half was very very average. Second half got better as they ground SLC down but still probably not upto expectations with a few big names needing to improve workrate and the team as a whole reduce errors. I think the end score was in the order of 5 tries to 2. Best for MCA was 7 and 10 (some great kicking), whilst for SLC 9 an15.
Good to see SLC back.
Any other reports?
Was probably a closer game than the score suggests. Lauries let in a couple of late soft tries. Their next clash will be interesting. Was an entertaining game. The back row for MCA look very slick. Scored a couple of good tries and made the difference. And the kicking game for their 10 was spot on. Lauries have some busy players in their forwards but probably lack a creative half. Their 15 was on song today as was their 8. All round two pretty good teams capable of some really good footy. Hard to see them not there at the end of the season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Agree that the scoreline was closer than suggested. Was 2 tries all about halfway in the second half and plenty of reserves came on for both sides in the last 15 or so mins of the match. Lauries started extremely well and had Ashgrove rattled but a few errors and ill discipline allowed Ashgrove to settle. Match probably turned around the point when the Lauries 13 came off injured late in the first half on the far side of the field. Hopefully he is ok and nothing too serious. Score was 7 all at the break with Ashgrove coming out with far greater intensity after the break. Thought the 7 was outstanding for Ashgrove and the best player on the field. For Lauries the 15 was very good in the first half and the 9 was impressive throughout. The Lauries scrum was dominant which is positive signs but the lineout was scrappy at times and Ashgrove were better at the breakdown. Will be curious to see how Ashgrove go against Padua next week and Lauries against St Peters.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Well an interesting and entertaining afternoon of rugby at Ashgrove. Lauries firing out of the blocks, with early points, but someone forgot to tell them it's a 70min game. Hope the injured lads are ok, the 10 was looking really good prior to that, his combo with the 9 is the best they've had since '08. Never write an Ashgrove team off and they proved that today. 33-12 is still not a close game or a courageous loss, Despite what may or may not have happened during the game. The hi-fiving each other afterwards was signs of a team happy with mediocrity. I caught the tail end of the 15A's game, I think the end score was 62-0 to Ashgrove, what I saw was a very demoralised group, a very big fall from grace indeed, lots of rumblings on the sidelines regarding the disengagement of this group due to new coaching. I also saw the winger Lamin running around in the 16s, I cannot understand how the one of the quickest blokes In the AIC and very much on the radar of the reds can't make a firsts side, oh well I guess that's why we have trials

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Villa result - wow! Sounds like Peters have a gulf to close and Villa are huge improvers. Anyone have a match report?

HLF, you're right. Lamin should be on one of the wings in the firsts unless he wants to play fullback (where he played in the 16As?) because he has no chance of unseating the 15. He was a class above in the main game.

We thought Lauries 15As played quite well. All hope not lost there and obviously some improvement to come, but they shouldn't be disengaged. The first half was pretty competitive and that's the best team they will play this year by a country mile. A lot of depth in that age group too with Ashgrove As selections still not settled so the intensity for spots was very clear.

In the ones, the first half was a great battle. Lauries stronger at the breakdown. Ashgrove better in the second half once their attack got a little more direct. I'd say a few MCA boys who will start next week were initially on the bench.

Dunc Johnston

Frank Nicholson (4)
Ashgrove certainly came home with a wet sail, but would still not be satisfied with the overall job. The 'soft' tried eluded to earlier were through very poor midfield defence and tired bodies in the 2nd half; interesting given how many games lauries have played. A few lauries players went missing after being hit very hard 1 & 15 particularly. The 15A score was a massive talking point with a number of Ashgrove supporters, they couldn't believe how much they have dropped off from last year. Bring on round 1 against Padua!

Status
Not open for further replies.