• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Well an interesting and entertaining afternoon of rugby at Ashgrove. Lauries firing out of the blocks, with early points, but someone forgot to tell them it's a 70min game. Hope the injured lads are ok, the 10 was looking really good prior to that, his combo with the 9 is the best they've had since '08. Never write an Ashgrove team off and they proved that today. 33-12 is still not a close game or a courageous loss, Despite what may or may not have happened during the game. The hi-fiving each other afterwards was signs of a team happy with mediocrity. I caught the tail end of the 15A's game, I think the end score was 62-0 to Ashgrove, what I saw was a very demoralised group, a very big fall from grace indeed, lots of rumblings on the sidelines regarding the disengagement of this group due to new coaching. I also saw the winger Lamin running around in the 16s, I cannot understand how the one of the quickest blokes In the AIC and very much on the radar of the reds can't make a firsts side, oh well I guess that's why we have trials
How long is the flanker Sheehan out for Hands like feet? Third year of First XV and would make a difference surely. I was a bit surprised Lamin didn't start either. Could see him starting on the right wing next week. Lauries need to be ready for a tough contest against St Peters. Haven't beaten them since 2011 and I have my doubts as to the strength of their side they played against Villa yesterday.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Definitely agree Latho with all you've said. I wasn't aware he was injured badly, thought it may have been 1 week or so, I could be wrong here, they certainly missed his physicality, although I had heard he was slightly out of favour with the coaching staff after last years turmoil? The Lamin non-selection completely stuns me though - I know there's plenty of other coaches and schools who rate him, it seems consistent with the backline selections the last 4 years - good players miss out for 'good blokes' - pretty weak coaching - but you reap what you sow ultimately, glad to see they haven't picked the fullback from last year, not sure if was year 12 last year though, completely out of his depth.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
For a young team, boy St. Pats are a physical side. They dismantled eddies yesterday and were very impressive over the holidays against BSHS. They might not win it this year but having seen their last 2 performances, 2018 should be on their radar. Build from this year, blood as many grade 11s as they can and who knows what can happen.

ThisOlThing

Bob McCowan (2)
Word is that young flanker Sheehan from Lauries has a fractured eye socket / cheek. They will definitely miss him this season. Seems that Lauries are lacking a bit of depth. Some Players coming off the bench are well short of First standard. I wonder if this will play a factor with a few injuries last game. Agree with the comments on flyer Lamin. Imagine seeing Lamin and their 15 Steer with some space at the back. Kudos for Emossi from MCA for being in the best shape I have seen him. Having a ball playing prop who can last the full game is a massive win. MCA will get better than Saturday's game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Word is that young flanker Sheehan from Lauries has a fractured eye socket / cheek. They will definitely miss him this season. Seems that Lauries are lacking a bit of depth. Some Players coming off the bench are well short of First standard. I wonder if this will play a factor with a few injuries last game. Agree with the comments on flyer Lamin. Imagine seeing Lamin and their 15 Steer with some space at the back. Kudos for Emossi from MCA for being in the best shape I have seen him. Having a ball playing prop who can last the full game is a massive win. MCA will get better than Saturday's game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re Emosi, he suffered a bad knee injury in Year 10/U15's which has taken a long time to come good and restricted his ability to train, hence why he played last year at 135kg.

He looks up to 10kg lighter and much more mobile this year, and is absolutely crucial to MCA's prospects.

Craigo

Frank Row (1)
I happened to get an invite to watch the MCA vs St Lauries game. Great game, agree with a lot of the post here. The front row for Lauries seem to have the edge in the scrums - do we know who the props are?

Scrum doctor

Bob McCowan (2)
I happened to get an invite to watch the MCA vs St Lauries game. Great game, agree with a lot of the post here. The front row for Lauries seem to have the edge in the scrums - do we know who the props are?
You must not have been watching the 1st XV then. Marist were very dominant come scrum time in that game.

C

CrackaFat

let me guess your son and his mate

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Given the previous games, I must also have been watching a different game, slc front row are hardly what you'd say are dominant at scrum time, a lot of pretty ordinary efforts in defence from them too on Saturday. The back 5 were cleaning up a lot of their mess.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Was at the MCA v Lauries at it was the light and the dark of school boy rugby that we all love and hate. Two team of boys giving there all for their respective schools and Jerseys.

Light
Congrats to MCA on a well played game with the 6 and 7 having great games in the forwards and the 11 and 15 in the backs. The highlights for mine was probably a superior game pattern which is not surprising given the calibre of coaching available at the school. MCA were also very good at the breakdown.

Laurie's were better at set piece in both Scrum and Lineout (I don't know what some others saw. I saw the Lauries scrum going forward both with and without the feed). I thought they kicked away too much possession and it told on them later in the game. Lauries best were the 15, 12, 8, 3 and 2.

All in all a very even game with MCA scoring 3 tries in the last ten minutes to secure victory.

Dark
The referee was poor and the penalty was very one sided. Something in the high teens to three of four MCA's way.

Conclusion:
Both teams will come away from this game thinking they can win the comp. MCA remain favourites in my mind but would not want to put in a bad half against either Lauries, Padua or Pat's.

AIC Footy

Frank Row (1)
Round one predictions.

PADUA V MCA - Huge game! Should be a great contest and could go either way

VILLA V PATS - Should be another very close game, but i have to back Villa coming off a 90 point win last sat

EDDIES V IONA - Havn't heard much about either of these two teams but im backing Iona

SLC V PETERS - Would take a miracle for Peters to come back from last sat and beat this Lauries side

Any thoughts?

Big J

Bob McCowan (2)
How long is the flanker Sheehan out for Hands like feet? Third year of First XV and would make a difference surely. I was a bit surprised Lamin didn't start either. Could see him starting on the right wing next week. Lauries need to be ready for a tough contest against St Peters. Haven't beaten them since 2011 and I have my doubts as to the strength of their side they played against Villa yesterday.
Well Villa had three front line players out as well including their Best and Fairest from last year - but I guess that doesn't count in a 95-5 score line ?

Havealook

Allen Oxlade (6)
OK very little has been said about the Villa v SPLC trial. In terms of the form lines coming through the trials, the 95-5 result (which was confirmed to me today as being correct) looks a bit odd. Yes SPLC did lose some games on the Canberra tour but to better rugby schools than Villa and by nowhere near as much. Nobody in this forum has rated Villa premiership material. Also this St Peters team were far from the worst as they came through the under age grades.

I'd like to hear a bit more from SPLC people out there - as the form lines don't match up. If it was correct you'd be thinking Ash would go 130-0.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Well Villa had three front line players out as well including their Best and Fairest from last year - but I guess that doesn't count in a 95-5 score line ?
That's my point. Villa seemed to have a couple of players out from what you're saying and the SPLC team will probably look a lot different this weekend to the side that took the field against Villa. Last weekends trial results will be forgotten pretty quickly by the teams who lose this weekend anyhow.

Big J

Bob McCowan (2)
That's my point. Villa seemed to have a couple of players out from what you're saying and the SPLC team will probably look a lot different this weekend to the side that took the field against Villa. Last weekends trial results will be forgotten pretty quickly by the teams who lose this weekend anyhow.
yes I agree - Peters had some players out I think, but so did Villa. Pats versus Villa will be a much better indication of what's what . Although , Villa has had a strong preseason , and are bonding as a strong unit under new coaches. Their tour of NZ was good with 1 victory out of three games and in no game did they play their full strength side against quality opposition being St Bedes in Christchurch and Kings in Dunedin. They lost both of those games but we're very competitive even playing with a a full trial squad of 30 getting plenty of game time minus their regular 10 who was injured for the tour. Still ultimately , Saturday will be the answer. Having said that I'm not sure how you discount that score line completely.

Big J

Bob McCowan (2)
I guess
yes I agree - Peters had some players out I think, but so did Villa. Pats versus Villa will be a much better indication of what's what . Although , Villa has had a strong preseason , and are bonding as a strong unit under new coaches. Their tour of NZ was good with 1 victory out of three games and in no game did they play their full strength side against quality opposition being St Bedes in Christchurch and Kings in Dunedin. They lost both of those games but we're very competitive even playing with a a full trial squad of 30 getting plenty of game time minus their regular 10 who was injured for the tour. Still ultimately , Saturday will be the answer. Having said that I'm not sure how you discount that score line completely.
the other point to be made regarding Villa is that the rugby program has been building now for three years and it could be that it is finally starting to bear fruit - their under 16 squad won 3 out of 4 games on tour in NZ. And their Grade 9 team have been undefeated premiers for two years. Let's see what happens ..

Lauries and Ashgrove are still the teams to beat though - I think Villa will most likely finish middle of the pack and with a pinch of fairy dust may do better than that.

Josh P

Frank Row (1)
Anyone have any score predictions for the PAD V ASH. I think it will be a good match but I predict Ash will come out on top. Especially with the 1,7,9,10,15.

Status
Not open for further replies.