• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
Lauries played really poorly today. I would have thought they would be starting to click as a side but there is still so much dropped ball, wrong decision making in attack and silly penalties. Credit to Villa who really came out firing and tried their hearts out. The 3 was impressive. I thought the Lauries 9 was outstanding and his kicking was the only way the wingers seemed to be able to get into the game because they hardly saw the ball outside of that. Big game next week at Pats, hopefully the bad performance is out of the way and they are ready from the first whistle. It will be very tough but a game they can win.

ThisOlThing

Bob McCowan (2)
Lauries played really poorly today. I would have thought they would be starting to click as a side but there is still so much dropped ball, wrong decision making in attack and silly penalties. Credit to Villa who really came out firing and tried their hearts out. The 3 was impressive. I thought the Lauries 9 was outstanding and his kicking was the only way the wingers seemed to be able to get into the game because they hardly saw the ball outside of that. Big game next week at Pats, hopefully the bad performance is out of the way and they are ready from the first whistle. It will be very tough but a game they can win.
Agree with bits but... as a playmaker, it is up to the 9/10 to make sure the ball goes wide. The back three is a strength of this Lauries team with pace to burn out wide and a smart fullback. And while the 9's kicking is good, very good, it still turns over possession. It also seems to me that kicks are made in general play with no communication to chasers or outside backs. This Lauries team needs ball in hand. As for the number 3 for Villa, agreed. A good ball playing prop is like gold in this comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Ball speed and accuracy from the Lauries halves is a let down . Put some drift into this from the inside backs and not squaring / taking it to the line to get their opponent on their heels = no front foot ball

Got to earn the right to go wide

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Ball speed and accuracy from the Lauries halves is a let down . Put some drift into this from the inside backs and not squaring / taking it to the line to get their opponent on their heels = no front foot ball

Got to earn the right to go wide

That last sentence is absolutely right.

Reminds me of what the old RL coach Warren Ryan would always tell his forwards: "no shit yards inside out".

jake loh

Frank Row (1)
St Peters 2nd XV went down badly today after the long awaited return of fly-half Malakai "Take the line on" Tatipata. But after the long wait on the sidline due to his severe knee injury (bruising) which required an MRI scan he simply failed to fire. As well as this, star flanker Justin Wong went down with a concussion due to a sore knee which didn't help the situation, hence the scoreline. Expect this 2nd XV team to bounce back and find their feet in upcoming weeks.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Another interesting viewing at Runcorn this afternoon, lauries needed another tent to accomodate their entire coaching staff who seemed to take up the entire reserves bench. Loads of drop ball, which is nothing new, the 9 saves the day many times. 2,8 and 7 as well as 9 were the difference for lauries, if villa had a goal kicker they'd have won today. Agree that villa 3 was very good, he definitely outplayed lauries #1 again, who might struggle to get a start next week

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought the Lauries #1 scrummed ok against Villa# 3

The issue I saw was on the other side of the scrum and Villa#1 not being able to hold himself up which led to consecutive penalties at scrum time through the first half . The Lauries #3 wasn't massively dominant but Villa #1's back was badly bowed in his set up . It's not the lad's fault - just inadequate scrum coaching

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
In terms of AIC squad thoughts after 2 rounds.
Props: MCA Capt and ? 2 others
Hooker: MCA / ?
Locks: Connors St Pats and Big yr 11 unit Padua
Flankers: 7 MCA (shld make a Qld team this year)/ 6 ?
8: St Pats / ?
9. Rutherford SLC / Day MCA (are a shoe in)
10. MCA 10
Cs. MCA 12 / Padua (parra bound unit) / Villa 13
W/15: SLC W / SLC 15 (star) / MCA 15 / ?

ThisOlThing

Bob McCowan (2)
Another interesting viewing at Runcorn this afternoon, lauries needed another tent to accomodate their entire coaching staff who seemed to take up the entire reserves bench. Loads of drop ball, which is nothing new, the 9 saves the day many times. 2,8 and 7 as well as 9 were the difference for lauries, if villa had a goal kicker they'd have won today. Agree that villa 3 was very good, he definitely outplayed lauries #1 again, who might struggle to get a start next week
Agree that the coaching staff numbers standing in front of spectators is ridiculous. There was at least 15 adults standing on the sideline inside the rope, plus another 15 reserves/students. Hard to watch. The poor ball handling is a concern and the Lauries 1 really needs to show something to keep his place moving forward but he is not alone. Still frustrating that the weapons on this team see very little ball.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
^ where is Big J with all the info when you need him?
He might have got his iPad, laptop and phone confiscated from his head of year. Maybe one of the 20 staff that were on lauries bench will be able to give them back to him. Seriously though how many coaches does it take to run a team?! i don't think the Seattle Seahawks have that many staff, hopefully between them they can all work out how to get someone to get the ball to the wingers

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Agree that the coaching staff numbers standing in front of spectators is ridiculous. There was at least 15 adults standing on the sideline inside the rope, plus another 15 reserves/students. Hard to watch. The poor ball handling is a concern and the Lauries 1 really needs to show something to keep his place moving forward but he is not alone. Still frustrating that the weapons on this team see very little ball.

Firstly well played Villa obviously all of the work put in off the field has started to pay dividends. After two losses as long as the boys stay engaged they will get a couple of wins this year. The game itself was very close and from a lauries perspective it felt like it could have ended in a heartbreaker. It was a great game to watch and a great advertisement for Schoolboy Rugby.

Yes there are a lot of teachers/ coaches on the side line but at least they re engaged. I would have preferred a better view but I put that down to the poor planning in the redevelopment of the Runcorn precinct in this regard Villa and Ash are the standard by which all others are measured.

I agree that the ball does not get wide enough often enough and Lauries kick it away too much. As for the performance of the front row I don't know what your thought process is. First and foremost Lauries were very dominant at Scrum time and for mine that is the main concern for a front rower.

Pats this week will be a challenge at Shorncliffe.

Honey Badger

Frank Row (1)
St Peters 2nd XV went down badly today after the long awaited return of star fly-half Malakai "Take the line on" Tatipata. But after the long wait on the sidline due to his severe knee injury (bruising) which required an MRI scan he simply failed to fire. As well as this, star flanker Justin Wong went down with a concussion due to a sore knee which didn't help the situation, hence the scoreline. Expect this star-studded 2nd XV team to bounce back and find their feet in upcoming weeks.

Yeah i think you should focus on your school work and stop posting here. Definitely goes to peters.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
Yeah i think you should focus on your school work and stop posting here. Definitely goes to peters.

Please stop trying to censor this page. Rugby is Australia currently is not in the strongest position and you are only making this worse by trying to exclude the voice young people (whom this forum is in fact about) from adding to what should be a vibrant discussion. Mr Loh makes a fair point and although St Peters would not have beaten St Patricks on Saturday the 6th of April had Mr Tatipata not suffered a terrible injury he more than likely would have helped his side. In the future let us see this GAGR forum flourish as a place of positive discussion and debate about 'the world game'.

I play wing

Chris McKivat (8)
oh sorry my Lebanese-Italian boss has just told me 'the world game' is a soccer reference. To be clear i am talking about rugby, the not-round ball game

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The U15 Schools League tournament was played this weekend just gone in Cairns - won by Met West and with 2 x QLD Teams named , Maroon and White , 20 to a team

Knowing that there is a strong attraction to Rugby League for a lot of boys who attend AIC Schools and play Club League instead of Rugby - it was interesting to note that there was not 1 x AIC boy selected out of the Top 40 boys selected

What's the go ?

Did schools not allow boys to trial ?

I note only Padua's Danny Heenan made either team last year ( the White Team )

Note : A lot of these boys who participated - especially in the Met West, East and North teams - maybe even South Coast - will likely roll up again for the Rugby Schools tournament , and so , the League tournament is a reasonable barometer for how the Rugby tournament may go

QLDTalentscout

Bob McCowan (2)
SLC v VILLA - Definitely match of the round. Will be a close contest but expect SLC to be a class above which should see them over run Villa in the 2nd half. SLC by 12

PAD v SEC - Better effort than expected by SEC last Saturday although Padua will have way too much firepower. Could get ugly if they get a roll on. PAD by 30

ASH v IONA - Teams always lift against the favorite but can't see IONA troubling ASH in this one. Interesting to see the MCA line up for this week.
MCA by 40

SPLC v SPC - Hopefully Peters took something out of last weeks game against SLC and will aim up in defence. If not expect PATS to dominate and if they can keep it up for the full 70 mins could be a cricket score.
SPC by 24

Round 2 results were within 10 pts of predictions so lets see how we go with Round 3.

SEC vs Villa - Both teams put in respectable performances last week without getting the result. Villa were very disappointed to to get over the line against SLC and had obviously set themselves for that game. Both will be desperate their first win on the board but Villa will have the edge.
Villa by 14

SPLC v MCA - MCA were easy winners against IONA in Rd 2 and unfortunately for SPLC might be more of the same. Only worry MCA will have is complacency and thinking they just have to turn up. Lets hope Peters dig deep for the home crowd.
MCA by 35

IONA v PAD - IONA were mauled on the weekend and face another tough opponent this week. Don't expect as much of a blowout as the MCA game but PAD will be too strong across the park.
PAD by 17

SPC v SLC - Definitely the closest game of the round and should be a cracker. Both sides will be fired up to remain undefeated and SPC will want to avenge their trial loss. Lauries will need to improve over their win to a plucky Villa and this will be Pats biggest test to date. Could go either way
SLC by 2

Good luck for this week

Status
Not open for further replies.