• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
From Villa Park some close contest for the old boys to enjoy
1st- Villa leveled the score in the last moments of the game under the post and converted to take the win 31-29
2nds- Iona converted from the sideline to draw the game at the death 15-15

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Good effort SLC. Congrats MCA, another step towards the premiership in 2017.
What was the composition of the score, tries scored etc.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
I thought it was a fantastic game this arvo and the scoreline isn't a fair reflection on Lauries. Lauries will be kicking themselves. They missed 3 penalties from directly in front in the first half and really should of put points on the board in the first 20 mins when Ash had a player given a yellow. Ash got out to 10-0 but Lauries hit back late in the first half. Lauries had a try disallowed early in the second half (not sure why) and then made it 10 all with probably 20 to go. Ash after that really lifted their intensity and Lauries just couldn't quite go with them. Even at the end at 22-10 Lauries had opportunities to take the game to the wire but they just couldn't do so. Ash scored on the last play with the 11 getting his third try. I thought the whole Lauries backrow was immense and Dean the captain and 5 probably played himself into an AIC jumper. The Ash 15 probably edged the Lauries 15 and the 9's were pretty even. I still think Rutherford should get the 9 jersey but Ash's team success may help their 9. The Ash 7 really stood up last 20 mins, i thought Sheehan had got the bettter of him up until that point. Ash play well as a unit and are clinical in broken play. Congrats to them. I don't have many complaints from the Lauries perspective, they tried their hearts out and the ball handling was the best it had been this season. They just didn't take their chances. The refereeing for the most part was terrible but it was terrible both ways. Best game i have seen at Runcorn for a long time, let's hope that becomes a more regular occurance.

JR2

Bob McCowan (2)
MCA 5 tries and 1 conversion 5(?)missed kicks
SLC 2 tries and I think 5 missed kicks.3 very gettable penalties in the first half cost Lauries,overall goalkicking was poor from both sides.Very close game until the last 15 minutes when Ashgrove took control.MCA No.7 was again outstanding although looked to be carrying an injury in the second half.

Some say the conversion by John Eales in the 2000 Bledisloe Cup is one of the greatest moments in Rugby Union history.

I say. “Think again.”

Andrew Slack Oval, 27th of May at 2:15pm marked the true beginning of sporting history. The green and gold army formulated a tunnel which stretched right to the middle of the battlefield. The warriors stepped in. And performed. The Villanova back line was slick, quick, and destructive. The forwards were powerful, Herculean, and formidable.

2 marvellous tries saw the Villanova Gladiators take an early lead. Iona responded. Villanova were in strife… but the Augustinians stood up and rose to the challenge. This challenge brought a number of exasperating setbacks. Penalties were rife and the Iona defence never backed down. It was these series of challenges that brought to light the meaning of acting out the Augustinian way of life. To be your “Brother’s Keeper.” These warriors recognised the power and brutality they knew they could enforce within the final moments of matchmaking.

They were 5 meters from heaven. They were 5 meters from Legacy. They were 5 meters… from sporting greatness. The next sequence of play is unimaginable and is often seen in scripture from the rugby gods.

The pill let fly, Damo caught, ran, and passed. This pass set 94Kg of ferocity on a red carpet to the try line. Under the sticks, Matt “The Brains” Winsbury executed. Damo “The Danger” Harding slotted it from right in front.

31 – 29

Wow.

Big J with all the info,

Signing off.

Hands like feet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Big thanks to st Laurence's for putting on a great old boys day, it was good to catch up with some familiar faces again. The Lauries boys tried their guts out today, the raw potential is very evident. Some of the younger old boys decided they'd give some direct advise to the coaching staff throughout the game. It is interesting listening to them talk about their experiences, but also frustrating. The talk about the psychologist who works with the 1st XV that is paid a substantial amount of money I thought had to be hearsay, but when they pointed him out on the sideline I was gobsmacked, why would you shelve that money out for a former referee turned online sports psych instead of good coaches?! Ashgrove were too good today, Lauries a slight improvement on last year but it's still a loss. I can't help but feel what could have been a premiership year has been wasted by poor sports admin and substandard coaching, maybe the old boy dads whose sons were running around today and talking about the coaching, should have spoken up last year instead of worrying about whether or not new coaches would have liked/picked their son, a bit selfish if you ask me. Well done to Ashgrove, hopefully our boys can regroup for Padua next week.

Justin Mitchell

Frank Row (1)
Great game played by Villa and Iona this afternoon. Villa came out firing in the first half putting 14 points early on. The game was very close in the second half but Villa coming out on top. Player of the match in my eyes was the ref. Cracking game, kept the villa boys in it and an outstanding game from him.

ThisOlThing

Bob McCowan (2)
Great afternoon at Runcorn and a cracking game of schoolboy rugby to match. Ashgrove just too good. Great structure and just kept coming. Full credit to Lauries for their best effort of the year. A lot of heart showed. There were some great matchups on show today. The 9's were both fairly evenly matched. The back row from both teams was outstanding, particularly Lauries 8 and Ash 7. The 15's battle sees a slight points advantage to the Lauries fullback. All in all a great advertisement. Referee was easily the worst part of the game. Some incredulous calls. Both ways. Really lacking depth and talent in referees this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Great game played by Villa and Iona this afternoon. Villa came out firing in the first half putting 14 points early on. The game was very close in the second half but Villa coming out on top. Player of the match in my eyes was the ref. Cracking game, kept the villa boys in it and an outstanding game from him.

come on mate, it was a close game against two evenly matched teams, the ref did not influence the game result.
If Iona wants to point the finger for the lost, I suggest they start with the goal kicker who missed all but one of his kicks, whereas the villa kicker got all of his, this was the difference at the end of the day.

Justin Mitchell

Frank Row (1)
I
come on mate, it was a close game against two evenly matched teams, the ref did not influence the game result.
If Iona wants to point the finger for the lost, I suggest they start with the goal kicker who missed all but one of his kicks, whereas the villa kicker got all of his, this was the difference at the end of the day.

I'm not putting that aside it was an awful kicking display, but you can't do much when the penalty count is 5 - 16

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Well done to the Lauries and MCA First XV's for putting on a really good game. Great to see the boys from both teams going full throttle in competing as hard as they could to try come away with the win.

The score line doesn't reflect a game that really could have gone either way , and where , MCA found what they needed to in the last 10 minutes ( despite some bizzare decision making off penalties with the game in the balance ) to pull away

Congratulations to Lauries for putting on a good day for Old Boys Day. Was great to see some familiar faces with such a long and valuable connection to the School - as much as some energetic and impassioned new faces

xxxxxxxxxxxx

Frank Row (1)
Excellent game in the MCA vs SLC 10a's. MCA over the past few years has had the edge on the competition with Laurie's at a close second. Both teams were undefeated coming into the match and had everything to play for.

At half-time after relentless defence from the Lauries team the scores were locked at 0 all. In the second half after great desperation from both teams Ashgrove were the first to cross the line with a run from 8 on the 22. Which was converted, bringing the scores to 7-0 with only 10 mins to go. Eager not to fall into the same trap as previous years the Lauries boys fought back hard. The ball was swung wide and a well timed pass put the lauries winger into a space and eventually to score under the post. This was converted bringing the scores to 7 all. It was last play and laurie's had the feed in a center field scrum. With so much to lose and tough decision to be made the 9 kicked the ball out. This decision would have been hard to swallow for both teams but ultimately would secure lauries a very big chance in taking out a premiership with their Ashgrove rivals.

The game was a suspenseful spectacle and arguably one of the best games across any age group of the season. An excellent watch for both teams supporters with the only downside being the poor refereeing. Congratulations goes to both teams with great rugby being played, but special mention must go to the Lauries team for showing resilience and maturity in the way the handled the situation.

Royalderry

Peter Burge (5)
What a great AIC competition we have - sounds like some great teams coming through - ASH/SLC 10's.; PAD/VILL/ASH 9's. I know it's an old chestnut but the SPLC round is a real blight on the competition - a farce really. The PAD 9A' dismantled SPLC by 70-5 and the First XV won by a healthy margin. ATC are not much better - they could only field 12 players in the 9B competition my son plays in - so they're struggling with establishing culture of commitment in the school - whereas in other games the ATC boys (their A side) dominate the B teams from AIC schools - in AIC schools there is a talent-matching principle - A players play A players and so forth but ATC are exempt rom this?? A very unsatisfying round of schoolboy footy - the administrators need to look at voting SPLC out of the association and bringing Downlands in. I understand being an ecumenical Association the importance of having the Lutherans in (and as a Foundation member they deserved a fair go but it works both ways) - what say you?

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Excellent game in the MCA vs SLC 10a's. MCA over the past few years has had the edge on the competition with Laurie's at a close second. Both teams were undefeated coming into the match and had everything to play for.

At half-time after relentless defence from the Lauries team the scores were locked at 0 all. In the second half after great desperation from both teams Ashgrove were the first to cross the line with a run from 8 on the 22. Which was converted, bringing the scores to 7-0 with only 10 mins to go. Eager not to fall into the same trap as previous years the Lauries boys fought back hard. The ball was swung wide and a well timed pass put the lauries winger into a space and eventually to score under the post. This was converted bringing the scores to 7 all. It was last play and laurie's had the feed in a center field scrum. With so much to lose and tough decision to be made the 9 kicked the ball out. This decision would have been hard to swallow for both teams but ultimately would secure lauries a very big chance in taking out a premiership with their Ashgrove rivals.

The game was a suspenseful spectacle and arguably one of the best games across any age group of the season. An excellent watch for both teams supporters with the only downside being the poor refereeing. Congratulations goes to both teams with great rugby being played, but special mention must go to the Lauries team for showing resilience and maturity in the way the handled the situation.

Have to agree it was probably the game of the day.

The Lauries boys were throughly beaten in the trial by 50 plus points to nil and obviously bought into the system that the two coaches put into place. The defence by those boys was immense. It must be said that the refereeing was mystifying and essentially meant that the Lauries boys had approx 20% of the ball with MCA having a field day at the breakdown and SLC being unable to maintain possession for any length of time.

Overall Lauries will be happy with the day as the 5a's had a narrow loss, the 6a's, 7a's,8a's,9a's had wins with the 15a's having a draw and the 16a's and firsts losing. So for all of the doom and gloom on this thread things are moving in the right direction for SLC. MCA are still the benchmark but other schools are putting good things in place.

Status
Not open for further replies.