• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallaby12345

Frank Row (1)
It was very obvious that the Lauries 15A's came in with the right attitude, they didn't let the result of the trial affect their mentality, and at half time, Ashgrove were rattled, they definitely were expecting the Lauries team to come out that hard, it was really a mental game between the two sides, and Lauries won the battle

Mount Franklin

Frank Row (1)
managed to make it out to the padua v st peters game last weekend , great control from the padua halves especially the 10 has to have one of the best boots in AIC right now quality shoe and step also managing to score 3 and set up two .this guy would have to be in the aic sqaud this year anyone know who he is

Stan Wickham (3)
The Padua 10 you are talking about is Tom Best. He was their 10 last year as well. There has been chat about the 2nd's no 10 Cooper Miller being a better player but for mine they are both good players with different skill sets. Cooper got his chance at 15 on the weekend given that Michael Cheer (13) is still struggling with a shoulder injury. Would expect the same setup this week against SLC which should be a cracking game. Expect Padua to be without Michael Cheer (injury) and Bruce Tevaga (red card) which are two big losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The disciplinary action is decided by the college, Knowing Padua College there will be no further action taken to ban him from playing. Perfect example was last year with Michael Wood. So don't be shocked if you see Bruce Playing this weekend.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Did Emosi Tuquiri run out for MCA on Saturday?

Hopefully both Emosi and Michael Cheer will be right to play for AIC this year, both very important players if fit.

Any suggestions as to who plays 10 for AIC this year?

I'm not totally sold on the MCA 10 at rep level and haven't seen the SLC 10 play, but Tom Best goes OK for mine.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
What a great AIC competition we have - sounds like some great teams coming through - ASH/SLC 10's.; PAD/VILL/ASH 9's. I know it's an old chestnut but the SPLC round is a real blight on the competition - a farce really. The PAD 9A' dismantled SPLC by 70-5 and the First XV won by a healthy margin. ATC are not much better - they could only field 12 players in the 9B competition my son plays in - so they're struggling with establishing culture of commitment in the school - whereas in other games the ATC boys (their A side) dominate the B teams from AIC schools - in AIC schools there is a talent-matching principle - A players play A players and so forth but ATC are exempt rom this?? A very unsatisfying round of schoolboy footy - the administrators need to look at voting SPLC out of the association and bringing Downlands in. I understand being an ecumenical Association the importance of having the Lutherans in (and as a Foundation member they deserved a fair go but it works both ways) - what say you?

AIC old boy myself here, and we have to remember that these things come in swings and roundabouts. When the AIC was formed, nobody would have anticipated Padua, St Pats, and St Eddies winning 1st XV premierships, or an extended period of neither St Laurence's nor Ashgrove winning or sharing premierships (or SLC having such a weak 1st XV). While SPLC's under age teams are generally weak, some of the most entertaining AIC/TAS matches I've seen have had their 1st XV front and centre.

Also bear in mind that rugby is not the only AIC sport. SPLC have been competitive in other sports, especially swimming. I seem to recall that part of the reason Downlands never ended up in the GPS or TAS/AIC was that they were really only competitive in cricket and rugby. Furthermore, one of the precipitating factors for the AIC being established was that some schools objected to travelling to places like Warwick (Scots) for fixtures.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Did Emosi Tuquiri run out for MCA on Saturday?

Hopefully both Emosi and Michael Cheer will be right to play for AIC this year, both very important players if fit.

Any suggestions as to who plays 10 for AIC this year?

I'm not totally sold on the MCA 10 at rep level and haven't seen the SLC 10 play, but Tom Best goes OK for mine.

Hi Galloper

Emosi Started at 8 and had to move to Prop as the ASH scrum were getting dealt with he improved it but I thought the SLC set piece held sway. His game was light and dark good with ball in hand and as always his distribution was excellent. Dark his workrate was poor and the shoulder charge that he made which was penalised at the time has been either red or yellow carded in many games.

The MCA 10 did not standout IMHO but the centre was excellent the amount of yardage he made particularly on the left edge was probably the difference in the end.

Unfortunately for the SLC 10 he is on crutches and out for the season.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Hi Galloper

Emosi Started at 8 and had to move to Prop as the ASH scrum were getting dealt with he improved it but I thought the SLC set piece held sway. His game was light and dark good with ball in hand and as always his distribution was excellent. Dark his workrate was poor and the shoulder charge that he made which was penalised at the time has been either red or yellow carded in many games.

The MCA 10 did not standout IMHO but the centre was excellent the amount of yardage he made particularly on the left edge was probably the difference in the end.

Unfortunately for the SLC 10 he is crutches and out for the season.

Thanks mate.

Unfortunately it looks like Emosi is paying a price for 4 weeks or so of enforced inactivity due to the injury sustained in the Padua game, as his fitness looked pretty good (much better than last year) before that.

If Emosi was at 8, I'm guessing Carroll was playing 5 or 6 with MCA losing two forwards from the SPC game. Not surprised Blake Roszka was retained as prop though, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Which centre went well, 12 or 13? I'm asuming it was Shaun Anderson, who has really come into form over the least few weeks.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
The GPS poaching season is well under way. Ash just lost another junior to Terrace, in time to start term 3. 2nd boy from that team to go in 2 years leaving a big hole in the backline. As there are quite a few stronger teams in that age group I'd imagine plenty of other schools have been affected as well?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The GPS poaching season is well under way. Ash just lost another junior to Terrace, in time to start term 3. 2nd boy from that team to go in 2 years leaving a big hole in the backline. As there are quite a few stronger teams in that age group I'd imagine plenty of other schools have been affected as well?

9A's TBone ?

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
Thanks mate.

Unfortunately it looks like Emosi is paying a price for 4 weeks or so of enforced inactivity due to the injury sustained in the Padua game, as his fitness looked pretty good (much better than last year) before that.

If Emosi was at 8, I'm guessing Carroll was playing 5 or 6 with MCA losing two forwards from the SPC game. Not surprised Blake Roszka was retained as prop though, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with next year.

Which centre went well, 12 or 13? I'm asuming it was Shaun Anderson, who has really come into form over the least few weeks.

Could not tell you names I only know Emosi by name in the MCA team. The 7 from MCA was also excellent but has been all year.

It was a shame you missed the game as it was a cracker. Unfortunately the turning point was the third MCA try from a really blatant knock on. It was a game where momentum changed quite a few times and as I said last week it was won on the basis of better structure and coaching. Both teams are very equally gifted athletically.

Congrats to the MCA boys

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Hi Galloper

Unfortunately for the SLC 10 he is on crutches and out for the season.
I can understand Emosi being amongst the talk this year, and I'm sure he will be included in the AIC, however I seriously doubt he has much of a future in the game. His fitness/injuries will prevent his progress into the senior ranks, the poor kid looks like his legs/knees are max out even when he walks.

As for the MCA 10, I was very impressed by him last year in the 16s, but this year seen him make silly mistakes and a lot of drop ball.
My pick for 10 would be Villa, he is not special just plays a simple measured game but does it well, pair him with some good outside backs and it's happy days.

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
8A's Garry.

The GPS system is practically a slave trade with some parents shopping their children around with little regard for their education or welfare and coaches being complicit in the trade.

Frankly our code is poorer for it.

That and the GPS season being in term three but don't get me started on that.

Geoff Marks

Frank Row (1)
come on mate, it was a close game against two evenly matched teams, the ref did not influence the game result.
If Iona wants to point the finger for the lost, I suggest they start with the goal kicker who missed all but one of his kicks, whereas the villa kicker got all of his, this was the difference at the end of the day.

If you were to point the finger at anyone it would have been the ref in last 5 minutes, Villa knock the ball on from the back of a ruck and the scrum and the ref turns a blind eye. Also, this is the first time Villa has one the Tiger Cup since Adam was a boy so, and they took a penalty kick to start off the scoring I mean who do they think they are England? But by all means blame the kicker.

don't_go_latho

Chris McKivat (8)
The Ash 10 in the trial played well but he was average on Saturday and didn't do enough to warrant being the starting 10. The 10's are a bit scarce from what i have seen thus far this year. I haven't seen the Padua 10 yet and he may well be the pick. Tuqiri did some good things as well on Sat but he has plenty of work to do if he wants higher honours. He should have been given a yellow card on Sat for his shoulder charge. It was one of a number of terrible decisions from the officiating.

This is my thoughts from what i have seen thus far for an AIC side:
1. Tuqiri - Ash
2. St Pats
3. Villa
4. Padua/Ash
5. Dean - SLC
6. Ash/Sheehan - SLC
7. Ash
8. Connors - SPC
9. Rutherford- SLC
10. Padua (still to see)
11. Steer - SLC
12. Knop - SPC
13. Padua (if injured Ash or Villa)
14. Ash
15. Ash

Ash 9 & 10, one of the SPC props and second rowers, Walter the 8 from SLC/the Villa 8 as backrow cover, an outside back from SPLC and potentially another 1 or 2 from Padua and Iona would be the likely candidates to make the 23.

ThisOlThing

Bob McCowan (2)
There are a number of positions that pick themselves. And Ashgrove will have the highest representation and rightly so. A number of the contentious places up for grabs include 9 & 10- all the talk has been of the Ash vs Lauries 9 & 10 but from what I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a bolter. No one has really dominated. 12 & 13 will be Padua and Ash. For mine, the Lauries 15 is a cut above the Ash 15. More dangerous in attack and a better defender. The 6 & 7 for Ash will be there but the Lauries 8 and 6 will be very close. Pats 8 is a given. Front row will be 1 from Ash but a toss up for the other spots. Great season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happyman

Ted Thorn (20)
The Ash 10 in the trial played well but he was average on Saturday and didn't do enough to warrant being the starting 10. The 10's are a bit scarce from what i have seen thus far this year. I haven't seen the Padua 10 yet and he may well be the pick. Tuqiri did some good things as well on Sat but he has plenty of work to do if he wants higher honours. He should have been given a yellow card on Sat for his shoulder charge. It was one of a number of terrible decisions from the officiating.

This is my thoughts from what i have seen thus far for an AIC side:
1. Tuqiri - Ash
2. St Pats
3. Villa
4. Padua/Ash
5. Dean - SLC
6. Ash/Sheehan - SLC
7. Ash
8. Connors - SPC
9. Rutherford- SLC
10. Padua (still to see)
11. Steer - SLC
12. Knop - SPC
14. Ash
15. Ash

Ash 9 & 10, one of the SPC props and second rowers, Walter the 8 from SLC/the Villa 8 as backrow cover, an outside back from SPLC and potentially another 1 or 2 from Padua and Iona would be the likely candidates to make the 23.

This is my opinion after the weekend but as they say everyone has one.
1. Tuqiri - Ash great ball player but workmate is always an issue.
2. St Pats - I have seen him twice and he has not stood out they could go many ways either SLC or ASH but as a second year player he will probably get in on reputation.
3. Villa - I would go with the SLC guy he is technically the best scrummager in AIC.
4. Padua/Ash Fair Call
5. Dean - SLC Fair Call
6. Walter SLC
7. Ash Best forward in the AIC this year
8. Connors - SPC Fair Call
9. Rutherford- SLC
10. Padua (still to see) Have not seen him but the field is thin
11. Probably on of the SPC boys, In terms of outright speed the African SLC boy has it but lacks the game play at this stage.
12. Knop - SPC
14. Ash
15. Steer - Best back in the AIC this year

Many will disagree however the interesting thing will be if the selectors can look beyond team success at skills or if they just go with the easy solution.

Also is it just AIC 1 this year or are there two teams picked.

Status
Not open for further replies.