• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Footy.Freak

This might be one of the strongest years for AIC in a long time that might lead to as many as 7 or 8 Representatives in Queensland Schoolboys ( 1 and 2 )

Wouldn't be surprised to see up to half a dozen from Combined Schools as well

Unheard of for the last few years

Could not agree anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mystic Mac

Frank Row (1)
Mystic Mac is back and better than ever in 2018. Here is my thoughts for the 2018 season.
Undoubtedly the Top 3 will finish Marist, Pats and Padua. Personally, I see the premiership game being played at Curlew Park in Round 4 between Marist and Pats with winner of that to go on and grab the 2018 AIC Rugby Premiership. Marist have been the powerhouse of the AIC Rugby competition since its inauguration and I can`t see that sort of dominance being shifted in the near future in terms of where they finish aggregately. It`s a reasonable belief to state "Marist will win on aggregate in 2018". However, at First XV level the story is different. Since 2013, Pats have been crawling up the ladder with finishes of 4th (2013), 4th (2014), 3rd (2015), 2nd (2016) and 2nd (2017) which has everyone questioning when will the breakthrough year come?
It`d be nice to say 2018 will be the breakthrough year for the boys from Shorncliffe but the facts are they`ve had the team on paper for the last two seasons to take the top spot and haven`t been able to convert a victory under the pressure of premiership games with losses to Padua in 2016 (19-7) and to Marist in 2017 where they were handed a thrashing 53-24 after looking the better team in the open exchanges. However, one thing in Pats favour is that they are the only side that is undefeated at home over the last 2 years and there one victory over Marist came when the pair last met at Curlew Park in 2014. Another advantage for Pats being that their clash with Marist in 2018 falls on their Old Boys Day.
The statistics would say that if they`re ever going to win it, it will be this year and will be on the back of the work done by Bradley Kuhn who should take charge of the forward pack similar to the pressure that will be placed on blokes like Blake Rozka (MCA) and Bruce Tevaga (Padua) who all have the opportunity
play themselves into an Australian Jersey in 2018. However, rightfully so Marist should be the favourites to take the First XV premiership in 2018. It is hard to argue 11 FIrst XV Premiership and a rich history of success and excellence in the field of Rugby.
Marist finished 4th in 2016 and will be trying to prove that was a one off by trying to replicate Padua in 15/16 by going back-to-back. Padua have a side that could win but may struggle with a halves combination that wouldn`t have seen any action at First XV level due to Connor Murray, Tom Best and Cooper Miller all being in Grade 12 in 2017. Marist have the same problem with the loss of Jaz Day and Hayden Ryan but should be fine based on the depth of talent in the school.
2018 finishing position predictions:
  1. Marist/Pats
  2. Loser of Marist/Pats
  3. Padua
  4. IONA
  5. Lauries
  6. Villanova
  7. Peters
  8. Eddies

As such my predictions for Round 1 are:

MCA v Padua - MCA to win
Pats v Villanova - Pats to win
IONA v Eddies - IONA to win
Lauries v Peters - Lauries to win

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
I heard GPS Rugby Club are hosting Marist v Downlands College in a trial. I'm still scratching here - why is Downlands not in the AIC or GPS competition ? For years they offered to play all their games away for the first three years and still got the cold shoulder. Some say it's because they're a boarding school and the like of any AIC or GPS Boarding Schools don't want any opposition show casing their worth on game day. In an era where more rugby schools are feeding players to RL, why would you not want to give an elite school like Downlands the opportunity to assist in bolstering schoolboy rugby in any way possible. You have NRL clubs who still send player scouts to watch Toowoomba Grammar and Downlands just to make sure they see everyone. Meanwhile Downlands tread water in no mans land. Playing AIC in Term 2 seems dated. Both AIC and GPS should be played at the same time whether they start mid term two or term three doesn't matter. They should run parallel.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I heard GPS Rugby Club are hosting Marist v Downlands College in a trial. I'm still scratching here - why is Downlands not in the AIC or GPS competition ? For years they offered to play all their games away for the first three years and still got the cold shoulder. Some say it's because they're a boarding school and the like of any AIC or GPS Boarding Schools don't want any opposition show casing their worth on game day. In an era where more rugby schools are feeding players to RL, why would you not want to give an elite school like Downlands the opportunity to assist in bolstering schoolboy rugby in any way possible. You have NRL clubs who still send player scouts to watch Toowoomba Grammar and Downlands just to make sure they see everyone. Meanwhile Downlands tread water in no mans land. Playing AIC in Term 2 seems dated. Both AIC and GPS should be played at the same time whether they start mid term two or term three doesn't matter. They should run parallel.

Screw that, having all those uncouth bloodnuts at TGS in the GPS competition is enough.

Ali Barber

Allen Oxlade (6)
Screw that, having all those uncouth bloodnuts at TGS in the GPS competition is enough.

Thanks for the heads up "fairplay", I didn't realize it was a breeding kennel for red cattledogs, and nobody likes tackling a ranga, we all know they're crazy. But seriously, country blokes are usually pretty tough when it comes to rugby, always have been. What they may sometimes lack in finesse they certainly make up in guts. There wasn't too much red in Tim Horan, cause he had plenty of finesse and there's been a few come down the range since.

fairplay

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Thanks for the heads up "fairplay", I didn't realize it was a breeding kennel for red cattledogs, and nobody likes tackling a ranga, we all know they're crazy. But seriously, country blokes are usually pretty tough when it comes to rugby, always have been. What they may sometimes lack in finesse they certainly make up in guts. There wasn't too much red in Tim Horan, cause he had plenty of finesse and there's been a few come down the range since.

Agreed. My post was in jest and my time was a couple of decades ago. They could change their school motto to "Gritty and Raw-Boned". Ditto for Downlands.

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
E7141C1B-0EE7-4D84-BA91-EA363DA4876E.png

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
Iona are flying under the radar. They have at least 9 player back from 2017 and have a settled 23 player in training for many week. This age group have been 1 or 2 best team for last 4 year.

Why is not anyone giving them the rating?

xxxx

Larry Dwyer (12)
Iona are flying under the radar. They have at least 9 player back from 2017 and have a settled 23 player in training for many week. This age group have been 1 or 2 best team for last 4 year.

Why is not anyone giving them the rating?
Yeah generally a strong age group across the codes, 1st XI and volleyball both playing for premierships in the last round.
They will also be at the pointy end in the rugby.

Kick and Chase

Bob McCowan (2)
Very quiet in here so I thought I'd post an early version of the MCA First XV and see whether we can get some predictions for the other schools:

1. Liam O'Kelly
2. Ben Byrne
3. Blake Roszka
4. Jacob Heinke
5. Ben Geraghty
6. Lachlan Howse
7. Dougal Perrers
8. John Downes

9. Luke Ford
10. Zach Hogan
11. Lachy Tennison-Woods
12. Kale Van Dugteren
13. Zac Brooks
14. Elias Marjiliwa
15. Nick Loughnan

Inose Nadolo has left Ashgrove to finish school in Auckland, so a wing spot opens up. Reasonably big loss, but his defence was a bit flaky last year and plenty of options in the outside backs so not a real problem there.

Centres are a bit of a lottery, really depends on where Dave Miles wants to play last year's wings LTW and Van Dugteren. Zac Brooks played 13 for the 16A's last year and also made the Qld U16 RL side, so I'd expect him to get a run somewhere.

I had Harry Ritter pencilled in at 15 but have heard that he might be concentrating on RL this year, Loughnan was the 15 for 16A's last year and goes OK.

Forward pack fairly predictable in terms of names, but positions might vary a bit.

MCA will be very keen to have Roszka running the footy as much as possible so don't be surprised to see him at 8 despite playing 3 for U16 Qld Red last year.

Downes could be anywhere in the back 5 bar openside flanker. Very mobile, he's benching 150kg at 16 and Australian weightlifting champ but yet to show as much on the footy field as he does in the gym. Maybe this is his year?

Anyway, that's my first draft, anyone else prepared to have a go?

Kick and Chase

Bob McCowan (2)
Hear that MCA are not even considering Hogan at 10 due to his 1st Volleyball commitments and him being unable to get to all training sessions until next week. Looks like they are going with the 16B 10 from last year. Big call particularly defensively.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Why? Are you looking to cater?

Re Downlands etc... It wont happen, Ambrose Treacy are lobbying much harder and are more appropriate but I cant see the "bye" round being added due to crowded scheduling with the introduction of League and AFL as of next year .Nothing against Downlands they deserve the respect and reputation they have which makes them a bit special ( in a good way ) they do play some trials against some AIC and maybe these matches could be less about trialling and more about a trophy game such as Vs TGS. The AIC was formed in difficult political circumstances where some long time friends such as St Pauls ( Ben Tune ) were let go and they are tight and as one on no new schools espec those that cant play 4 teams in every sport in every age....and that counts most schools out anyway...even a couple of AIC. With Rugby League and AFL added, it can be viewed as a step forward or a step back. It might keep the League'ies available for Rugby as they might give up one club league season to play 2 rugby codes in different terms... Just hope that AIC rugby still fields their best athletes, this will involve some interesting scheduling. Thats it for my first ever post and having said that I have no idea who can do it this year but if its south of the river it will be Iona.

Status
Not open for further replies.