• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

Barry T

Frank Row (1)
Fair point but once you "get done" for doing something you need to be smart enough to stop doing it - Pat's might have outsmarted Padua here ...

Agreed, there is a lot of gamesmanship/tactics at scrum time at all levels. Referee interpretation at scrum will continue to be the most frustrating element of Rugby but it is what it is.

Barry T

Frank Row (1)
The bitterness from the Padua camp is rather amusing. What else is amusing is the fact that you fail to recall the Padua yellow card incident where a Padua player elbowed one of the Pats players in the face. Striking to the face is a straight up red card, but hey we’ll let that one slide. Regarding the scums, the Padua loose head was pushing early and angling in, penalties were there for the picking. You can’t blame a player for using their brains, surely.

Not really Padua played poorly and failed to use the wind in the first 25 mins and only have themselves to blame. In regards to foul play I'd rather cop an elbow that causes no damage than a late shoulder charge that ends my season. That's always been my biggest gripe foul play that causes a serious injury receiving minimal punishment.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Padua and SPC seasons will be judged on facing MCA. Looking at past history you wld assume that MCA has the upper hand.
The score from the weekend that people are not talking abt is Iona v SPLC. It cld eventuate that both of these teams could roll both SLC and Villa????

ricky wong 21

Frank Row (1)
Interesting decision from the referee to call this held up...
robbed.jpg

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
Lots of disgruntled villa Dads on the forum it seems. Being honest the decision to send off the SLC winger for the second half was questionable given the others involved - that send off was a gift that wasn't capitalised on.

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Another terrible decision from a terrible referee in the Villanova vs SLC game. As this was called 'held up', Villanova were robbed once again. Stevie Wonder could've ref'd this game better!!!

View attachment 11759

Untill the AIC schools follow the lead of the GPS schools like Churchie and GT and start building big LED replay screens so the referee can quickly look up, check and confirm their decision, calls like this one and the missed jersey grab on the kick chase will continue to happen.

If you think you could have done a better job then the one in the middle here is a idea - sign up and give it a go yourself, I'm sure they are always looking for new refs ..... I would guess it isn't as easy as it seems from stands or making a decision after watching it in super slo mo 10 times.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Couldn’t get to the Villa Lauries game due to covid restrictions so thanks to AIC for setting up live stream.

Villa can not blame the Ref
- yes the ref made clear errors but Villa butchered a couple of tries by not passing the ball to unmarked men - and also played dumb rugby by consistently trying to play rugby inside their own 22 rather than exiting.

the big Villa hooker (Winsbury I think) showed the Villa backs how it should be done by floating a delightful pass to put the second rower away into the corner for the score. Villa didn’t take their opportunities - SLC played brave and are to be congratulated.

also in the continuing pattern the Villa coach used zero reserves - fresh legs would have helped.

Villa have no one to blame but themselves - they were the better team - but lauries toughed it out.

The red card was justified as the lauries player clearly threw a punch.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Untill the AIC schools follow the lead of the GPS schools like Churchie and GT and start building big LED replay screens so the referee can quickly look up, check and confirm their decision, calls like this one and the missed jersey grab on the kick chase will continue to happen.

If you think you could have done a better job then the one in the middle here is a idea - sign up and give it a go yourself, I'm sure they are always looking for new refs ... I would guess it isn't as easy as it seems from stands or making a decision after watching it in super slo mo 10 times.

Bravo RRF101. Time to lay off the refs and accept the results and start talking about next weeks games.

T

Troy Whitton

Anyone saying to get over the refs know they screwed up too many times. A clear grounding, players held back on the kick chase, multiple penalties which won lauries the game. Villa dominated the whole game. I don't know what game the refs where watching, but they definitely weren't watching Villa vs Lauries. My dead nan could have done a better job

R

Richard Felder

robbed.jpg
Lots of disgruntled villa Dads on the forum it seems. Being honest the decision to send off the SLC winger for the second half was questionable given the others involved - that send off was a gift that wasn't capitalised on.

Capitalised on? The ball was grounded on the try line minutes later in which was called held up by the dominant lauries referee...

Attachments

• robbed.jpg
    robbed.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 146

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Although a very scrappy game to watch and poor execution from both sides the biggest deciding factor and the main reason Padua failed to win was - Late hit (shoulder charge) on Padua 15 Will McCulloch by Pats 11 Nesta (I think) only produced a yellow card(red card in my opinion). McCulloch left the field with a suspected broken hand. So basically took out arguably Paduas best attacking option with foul play and only received a yellow. Add to that Paduas prop received a red card for back chat(swearing at ref). Colour of cards should be switched in those scenarios.

After watching a replay of the game I would have to agree the Pats 11 was very very lucky not to get a red card. It was late, high, and clearly a shoulder charge with no attempt to wrap the arms around. It was quite sickening to watch actually, and lucky the Padua 15 didn't suffer a more serious injury. He seemed to recover quickly to score on the next play, but went off at half time, hope he is OK. Padua will definitely miss his if he is gone for the season. The ref must have been unsighted as he went to his touchy. I can understand refs being reluctant about handing out reds in school footy, but there was no grey area there.

Rugby 101

Bob McCowan (2)
Padua have now lost
Max Johnson- season
Will Mculluch season
Jason Cheer- season
Leighton whippy- TBA
Jaidyn Walker- round 3
Darcy Ryan- TBA
Popsi Manu: TBA
Not looking good at all.

drewprint

Colin Windon (37)
Correct. Villa were better in many regards (ball skills, scrum, lineout) but didn’t have the composure to get over and ice the game. Lauries scrambling defence was excellent. Villa has every right to feel disappointed, but not at the ref.