• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Lauries' have A really good squad for next year, to difficult to predict a starting line-up so early on, a lot of boys returning, plus some good year 10's premiers coming through!

Which boys (and positions) are returning? Which year 10's do you predict to make 1sts next year?

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I predict St. Peters to be the darkhorse of the competition in 2020. With the acquisition of Australian Schoolboy Keynan Tauakipulu and the third year of 1st XV for Queensland U/16 Rugby League Rep John Radel, I feel these two will be 2 of the top 5 influential players in the competition in 2020

oldboy123

Bob McCowan (2)
Which boys (and positions) are returning? Which year 10's do you predict to make 1sts next year?
There is about 10 players that played regular first team games this year that are returning next year, so going to be very tough for the year 10's to crack a starting birth, most of the second team players are back too, so should be interesting to see who will be in the team come round 1. I'm definitely not predicting any names, not fair on boys to do that, know all the boys are working really hard already, so lets see.

whistler

Bob McCowan (2)
I predict St. Peters to be the darkhorse of the competition in 2020. With the acquisition of Australian Schoolboy Keynan Tauakipulu and the third year of 1st XV for Queensland U/16 Rugby League Rep John Radel, I feel these two will be 2 of the top 5 influential players in the competition in 2020

Whisperer that's a pretty big call. I hope your right, having a competitive Peters is good for the whole competition. Who would be your other influential players next year?

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Whether they are a smoky or a dark horse, SPLC will be competitive. Keynan Tauakipulu was one of the top 15 schoolboys in NZ schoolboy rugby last year. He played 8 for QLD White U18 and then selected in Aussie tour of NZ. One to watch.

Top 3 will still be Villa, Lauries and MCA.

The Whisperer

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Whisperer that's a pretty big call. I hope your right, having a competitive Peters is good for the whole competition. Who would be your other influential players next year?

My other 3 in no particular order would be Floyd Aubrey (Marist), Nick Baker (Marist) and John Bryant (SLC)

Serge Blanko

Frank Row (1)
Does anyone know if the clash of the Queensland Schools Carnival and Round 1 of the AIC experienced this year has been rectified for 2020?

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Does anyone know if the clash of the Queensland Schools Carnival and Round 1 of the AIC experienced this year has been rectified for 2020?

Queensland State Champs are down for 28-31 May 2020. Looks like a clash with Round 5 of AIC rugby.

Serge Blanko

Frank Row (1)
So assuming it is the same as this year Round 5 will be:

Ash vs Villa
SPLC vs SEC
SLC vs Iona
Padua vs SPC

Some pretty big match ups to have your top boys missing to attend the trials...

Hopefully something can be worked out at AIC level so that teams aren't diluted or talented boys don't miss out on opportunity for Rep honours...

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just to get this thread moving again, came across the below vid put together by a Japie whose enthusiasm for schoolboy rugby makes GO seem like a casual observer with a passing interest in the subject. Will of course be very controversial to some, especially the No.19 pick, but like he says, just one mans opinion. No Aussie school makes his top 10 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufilter=NULL&v=v5NhT9XoBRk

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Just to get this thread moving again, came across the below vid put together by a Japie whose enthusiasm for schoolboy rugby makes GO seem like a casual observer with a passing interest in the subject. Will of course be very controversial to some, especially the No.19 pick, but like he says, just one mans opinion. No Aussie school makes his top 10 though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?edufilter=NULL&v=v5NhT9XoBRk

Good find TBone . Probably the funniest thing about this list was the absence of Nudgee - at least in the last few spots ( maybe for Marist )

Can’t really argue with the top 3 or 4 spots which may seem to even a semi casual observer that it’s fair enough

6 to 18 is probably a crap shoot

Serge Blanco

Allen Oxlade (6)
In 2017 and 2018 there were a number of pundits on this chat predicting 2020 as potentially being one of the most even First XV competitions for the AIC in recent years.

The thinking being Ash, SLC, Villa having shared premierships in the junior years and Padua and Iona also capable of beating those three schools on their given day.

Do Green and Golders still think this season has the makings of a crackerjack race?

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
The favourites for First XV glory in 2020 must be Ashgrove but they have some big games at home versus the above mentioned schools that will come with added pressure. With MCA changing coaches this year, it might not be all smooth sailing.

A team with their 15, 14, 11, 6 and 4 back and plenty of experience from the 2019 2nd XV, should do the job but the other schools will be ready. Lots of chat about the upset that's on the cards for round 1 v the competition smoky, St Peters.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
A Nudgee parent told me at the Reds on Saturday night but I also heard it months ago from a Pats parent, hence some on this forum see them as a smoky like some previous years when St.Peters upset a few teams and even one year won the AIC.

The SPLC coaches have definitely got a couple of new guns in their team that are going to bring a lot of punch to their side. At least one boy is in the QLD development squad so the Marist boys should know who they are.