• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
A Nudgee parent told me at the Reds on Saturday night but I also heard it months ago from a Pats parent, hence some on this forum see them as a smoky like some previous years when St.Peters upset a few teams and even one year won the AIC.

The SPLC coaches have definitely got a couple of new guns in their team that are going to bring a lot of punch to their side. At least one boy is in the QLD development squad so the Marist boys should know who they are.

OK, does this Nudgee parent know that last year, at Indooroopilly, MCA beat SPLC 61-0 in the First XV game, there was a similar scoreline in the 10A's and SPLC didn't even field a team in the Seconds comp?

Now, anyone who's been around for while knows that if SPLC decides to "invest" in a sport (like they have in swimming) they are more than capable of bringing in a brand new team. However, looking at their 2019 baseline, SPLC would probably want to have at least 6-8 "new guns" to be competitive or better in 2020.

Even if that's happening I'd be curious to know how or why these new boys, if they are genuinely "guns", have not accepted rugby scholarship offers from GPS schools. Does happen though, SPLC do have John Radel who would be one of the best players in the AIC comp, and Kenyan Tauakapilu would be the very best if he's back at school this year.

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Regarding Kenyan Tauakapilu, has it ever been explained how he starts the 2019 school rugby season at St Kent's in Auckland as a likely selection for NZ Schools but then ends up at SLPC, of all places?

I get that he wouldn't have been allowed to simply turn up and play in the Brisbane GPS comp last year, but it just seems a bit bizarre that his brother stays at St Kent's and then plays for NZ Schools against Kenyan who gets picked for the Australian team from SPLC.

Maybe there were family reasons for the move, maybe the Tauakapilus are Lutheran, I think the least likely explanation is that he was recruited by SPLC but who knows?

Jimmy N

Frank Row (1)
Padua Predicted 1st XV

1. Jaiden Walker
2. Dan Healy
3. Leighton Whippy
4. Max Johnson
5. Harry Martin
6. Thom Studley
7. Josh Toohey
8. Poasi Manu
9. Dallas Retchless
10. Tait Rogers
11. Taiasi Lomu
12. Darcy Ryan
13. Tapuaki Lomu
14. Will McCoulough
15. Jason Cheer

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Padua Predicted 1st XV

1. Jaiden Walker
2. Dan Healy
3. Leighton Whippy
4. Max Johnson
5. Harry Martin
6. Thom Studley
7. Josh Toohey
8. Poasi Manu
9. Dallas Retchless
10. Tait Rogers
11. Taiasi Lomu
12. Darcy Ryan
13. Tapuaki Lomu
14. Will McCoulough
15. Jason Cheer

Thanks Jimmy, good to hear from Padua.

Any team with 2 Lomu's in it has to be a worry. Max Johnson is a huuuuge lad, only year 11 too. How many are returning from last years 1sts?

Confucius Say

Nev Cottrell (35)
The QSS 17-18 year old rugby championship to be play at Sunnybank on May 28-31.

Game impacted this year-

Laurie v Iona
Peter v Ed
Marist v Villanova
Padua v Pat

Why get the schedule wrong again? Do the school body not talk?

Jimmy N

Frank Row (1)
Thanks Jimmy, good to hear from Padua.

Any team with 2 Lomu's in it has to be a worry. Max Johnson is a huuuuge lad, only year 11 too. How many are returning from last years 1sts?

The Padua boys have 7 2019 1st XV starters returning in the positions 1, 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12.

Predicting the boys in the brown and gold to have a big forward pack and stacked backline. A team to to watch.

My Arsenal

Peter Burge (5)
The two Lomu boys new arrivals to Padua in Year 12 this year . Brought in to bolster the backline ranks? Main contenders this year Ashgrove/Villanova/Padua/Lauries/Iona (in that order) but Ashgrove as always go in favourites.

R

RuggerFan1

Is league threatening the status of Rugby Union in the AIC yet?

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Is league threatening the status of Rugby Union in the AIC yet?

Nope, still on a trial though. Didn't seem to be a lot of interest, probably due to the limited numbers permitted to play. Crowd support was no where on the scale of the rugby. This is a rugby thread though, so let's keep it that way.

Serge Blanco

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yep. I don't get it... seems like an easily anticipated and solveable problem...

However, not suprising I guess given the apparent disorganisation even at the highest levels of the Game..

Is i feasible for the AIC to rule that Round 5 as bye and have the season go a week later??

Serge Blanco

Allen Oxlade (6)
Agree MCA are deserved favourites but wouldn't be great if the premiership came down to the results of Round 7:

Iona vs ASH
Villa vs SLC
SEC vs Pad
SPC vs SPLC

Dare to dream I guess...

R

RuggerFan1

How many opens Rugby teams do the AIC schools usually field?

R

RuggerFan1

Probably varies on the year, but generally the below is accurate.

Peters/Eddies - 2
Pats -3
Iona / Villa / Padua - 4
ASH / SLC - 6
Not as bad, still low. Or is it considered good due to student numbers?

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
AIC shares Term 2 with soccer , which has bigger numbers overall, so I guess the numbers are pretty good really...but the 1st XV is still the main game and crowd ( interest ) numbers are really quite good. GPS switched the rugby term to term 3 about 5 years ago to avoid clashing with soccer.

R

RuggerFan1

AIC shares Term 2 with soccer , which has bigger numbers overall, so I guess the numbers are pretty good really.but the 1st XV is still the main game and crowd ( interest ) numbers are really quite good. GPS switched the rugby term to term 3 about 5 years ago to avoid clashing with soccer.

interesting how the sport works differently over up north, very different to down here.

NSW has Soccer and Rugby same season and achieves pretty good numbers, lowest amount of teams is like 6.

But what we trade for playing number, are the huge crowds the qld schools get.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
For what it's worth ATC beat Padua in a Firsts Trial last night. Probably 6 tries to 3. Both teams shuffled through players. Game was called up early because of some pretty nasty racism claims against the big Padua prop. To their credit a bunch of the Padua players came over to the targeted ATC players, and their captain, to apologize and acknowledge they guy was a dick.