• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
Well lokks like some schools have released the pools and some havent. What I dont know is if "seeding" was done..I dont see any easy games this year anyway when a team knows they are only getting a few games they will want to make them count...and better sides will be hamstrung by lack of preparation....just one or two trial games is not ideal. All in all congrats to the AIC for getting underway. Looks like Rugby League will just be a carnival in the September holidays but once again thats alot better than nothing.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
It would not be possible to seed as the pools cover all age groups anyway. You cannot just seed based on the current 1st XV group as this may be totally different to say the year 9 cohort, and it would just be pure speculation anyway as there has been limited trial games to date. And trials are not a true indicator either, as shown by Iona flogging Pats last year at Suncorp in a trial and then Pats ending up higher on the ladder. Looks to me like the pools are based on a Northside/ Southside divide, with the obvious exceptions of Eddies in Pool 1 and Peters in Pool 2, perhaps to minimise travel.

What will be interesting is where the finals will be played. The official statement - " The finals fixtures will be played in age groups and hosted by each College" really says nothing. If the 1st XV final is say for arguments sake MCA v SLC, who exactly hosts? And if the 2nd XV is Padua v Villa, is it played at the same ground or at one of their own, and which one as they both topped their own pool? or does one college hosts all the GF's, and another one all the 3rd/4th play offs etc..?

Apologies if there has been any other comms to explain this that I have missed, just think it may be better to maybe have a gala day at Ballymore to avoid any claims of bias or home ground advantage playing a factor. Parking would be a nightmare though.

Anyways, that aside, fantastic that the boys, particularly the year 12's, get to have a run this year. Well done to all those involved.

Serge Blanco

Allen Oxlade (6)
I like he neutral venue idea of Ballymore...if the 100 person rule is still in place does that mean they can fit 300 in there because there are 3 fields??

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I like he neutral venue idea of Ballymore.if the 100 person rule is still in place does that mean they can fit 300 in there because there are 3 fields??

that is still unclear. Early indications are that 100 people at the venue means 100 people at Ballymore (for example). The sport (and other sports) is aiming to get that relaxed so that it would mean per field.

But 100 people per field goes pretty quickly.

2 x teams of 20 (40)
2 x coaching teams of 3 (46)
4 x match officials (50)
Medical of 6 at least (56)
Security/field marshals of a dozen (68)

So that leaves about 30 people left. And that's forgetting ball boys, headmasters, heads of sport, etc

1 person per playing member?

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
Looking like by Term 3 when the Rugby season starts restrictions on crowds should have gone, because surely you can't limit a crowd on proud parents and family wanting to watch their sons play

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
The 2019 10A rugby competition was very close and many teams lost by a small amounts to other teams, This comp will provide many players for the First XV 2020
Seen with Padua losing to Iona 13-12 in the dying minutes because of a kick on the buzzer. Pats losing to Marist by 5. Marist losing to Lauries 8-7. Padua losing to Lauries 20-19 a try scored by Lauries in the last play of the game.and Marist beating Iona 13-0. and Padua losing to Pats 3-0 because of a penalty goal
SPLC have Australian schoolboy keynan Tauakipulu and John Radel U16 QLD rugby league player, and also returning players from last year, although many have ruled them out, I wouldn't rule them out but also wouldn't call them top 3 chances.
MCA have Floyd Aubrey recently playing U16 QLD reds and U16 QLD Reds Rugby 7's and also Dwayne Bowen who played QLD Reds II Rugby Sevens. Nick Baker QLD reds U16. Hayden Lammon a chance for inside centre, made U15 QLD rugby league in 2019.
Lauries have John a solid footy player although not many of their 2019 10A rugby premier team looks to make a major impact on the first XV for them except their 10A 2019 Flyhalf he was solid and they relied upon him quite a lot.
Padua have a very strong cohort coming from their 2019 10A, and a few are tipped to make the first 15 returning players from First XV 2019 include Number 2, 3, 8,10,13. 2 new inclusions to the school. Max Johnson and Leighton Whippy grade 11 2020 spent time in the Padua College first XV in 2019 and are returning both U16 QLD reps.
Pats,
Expecting Jett Spence Norths Mal Meninga 2020 to play fullback or centre
Will Boland to play fullback or Wing
2 grade 10 wingers for First XV 2019 are returning.
Iona have a strong grade 10 cohort who will be coming for sports. They do have players returning and will be strong. Charlie Kwock Sun Baker in the centres will be one to watch.
Eddies won't be very strong with a weak grade 10A team in 2019.
Villanova have strong returning players Ollie Harris and Gus Godwin will both be strong, Hamish Muir will again be good to watch, Their number 8 for 10A 2019 is a good chance to make First XV

Serge Blanco

Allen Oxlade (6)
The SLC IONA VILLA SPLC pool will be intriguing. Will be no easy games and if each of the first 3 teams drop a game it could come down to for and against to play ASH.

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
The SLC IONA VILLA SPLC pool will be intriguing. Will be no easy games and if each of the first 3 teams drop a game it could come down to for and against to play ASH.

I wouldn't be ruling out Padua if I was you,
I believe the round game between Padua and Marist will be the real grandfinal

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Ashgrove v Padua R3 on September 5

Finals September 12

MCA plays Eddies in R1 and Pats in R2.

Trials in mid August v Villa and AT.

At least the boys get half a dozen games.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Congratulations to the AIC schools for getting Term 3 sports happening.

POOL A - Pats, Ash, Eddies, Padua
POOL B - Iona, Villa, SPLC, Lauries

The Ash v Padua game will be at Ashgrove. Padua hosted in 2019. Likely to be lots of old boys there nonetheless - subject to Corona restrictions of course.

The following week, the Finals games are hosted by different schools. Lauries (Yr 5), Pats (Yr 6) and Padua (Yr 7) then Iona, Villa, Peters and Marist to host years 8,9,10 and Opens respectively.

If Padua game is the real grand final, MCA will have to beat them to benefit from being at home for First XV the following week too. But they will be hard to beat with 10+ players back from 2019 with Firsts experience. I don't think last year's 10A players will even have an influence when so many of their year 12s are back.

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
I still think St Peters are a smoky. More so now they only have to win 3 games to get into a winner take all final.

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
That would be interesting if Padua were to get over MCA in Round 3 and then the Final at Ashgrove would be a nuetral venue.

Yes and although Marist has many returning so does padua, 8 starting first 15 players and their was 3 fringe year 10 (2019) first 15 players who will be in and around the squad and 2 new additions to the school. The grand final is unfortunately a round game: Padua Marist Game but it will be one to watch

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
I wouldn't be ruling out Padua if I was you,
I believe the round game between Padua and Marist will be the real grandfinal

Scout,
In a comp already short and sweet, with some saying the southside is a stronger pool...
I think we need to call out the "real GF" claim....the AIC have done the right thing so lets let whoever wins not be dogged by claims of "in a normal year".....
However enjoy your opinion so I dont want to stop your opinion, I just want the winner to feel justified...