• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
Scout,
In a comp already short and sweet, with some saying the southside is a stronger pool.
I think we need to call out the "real GF" claim..the AIC have done the right thing so lets let whoever wins not be dogged by claims of "in a normal year"...
However enjoy your opinion so I dont want to stop your opinion, I just want the winner to feel justified.

Fair enough I see where your coming from

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
Gold Coast Bronco, by virtue of elimination and a bit of guesswork, I have concluded the draw looks like the following with Pool A games listed first. Don't quote me on home and away but I have based on last year's draw. Asterix next to the expected games of the round.

Lauries play Villa in round 1 and their season finished in a tough round 7 battle last year, with Lauries coming out on top 26-12. This will be another great battle and might decide Pool B.

The best games of round 2 appear to be the Pool B ones with level of importance dictated by results in Round 1. Can the smokies, SPLC set up a winner take all with Villa in R3 or will Lauries steamroll their way to the Final? Pool of Death.

Round 3 is a big one at Ashgrove against Padua. MCA normally take 2 rounds to hit their straps so this might be ripe for them. Padua's last win away v MCA wasn't that long ago and their forward pack will need to be just as big as it was in 2015/16 to knock off the champions. They know the formula.

Contenders, SLC and Padua have to play 2 games away in their Pool. Villa have 2 at home but are in the Pool of Death so have 3 hard games if Iona can put out a decent team.

The fourth round (Finals Day) should be a cracker with pride on the line whether you finish 1,2,3 or 4 in your pool. It's a grand final and I expect the cafe in Frasers Road to be full of AIC personnel, families and extended loved ones all morning before everyone sticks around to watch the 2020 GF.

Good luck to all teams and may we have injury free pre-seasons, trials and a great competition.

22 Aug

SPC v PAD
SEC v MCA
VNC v SLC *
SPLC v IC

29 Aug

SPC v MCA
PAD v SEC
IC v VNC *
SPLC v SLC *

5 Sep

SPC v SEC
MCA v PAD *
VNC v SPLC
SLC v IC

12 Sep

Open Finals at Marist College, Ashgrove

Does anyone have any mail on expected teams/squads?

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Good summary there DF.

Pretty sure that Padua’s only wins ever v MCA were in 2015/2016 - two excellent Padua sides who were the better team on the day but both games were close and in each year Padua’s big pack was supported by some great backline talent. Not so sure about their backs this year yet, but I might be underestimating them.

From the outside Padua’s pack this year looks massive, and there are some new Polynesian boys in the backline, but MCA’s forwards will be pretty big as well and the coaches will have been planning for Padua’s game style for a long time before they actually play so it should be a great game if anyone actually gets to watch.

Out of interest it, seems like Padua’s PI influence only started last year, there were certainly no PI boys there in 2015 or 2016, any particular catalyst for this?

I don’t know that much about the Southside schools but suspect that SLC will be there on GF day.

Torpedo Punt

Herbert Moran (7)
To date I have only seen that 1 parent per grade 12 is allowed. No parents for any other boys.
It may be a cas eof having to look over the fence ??

D'Lite Full

Bill Watson (15)
I am aware of a few mid-August trials, subject to date changes and regulations.

Pats playing Villanova 14th (Ekka holiday)
Villa playing MCA 11th
SLC playing Padua 13th and MCA 8th

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
According to GPS thread SLC getting a jump on the other schools with a trial against Terrace this weekend. Anyone know of any other AIC schools trialing against a GPS schools? As fare as I am aware the only MCA trials (not including internal trials) are;

Saturday 8th August – vs. St Laurence’s at Marist College Ashgrove
Tuesday 11th August – vs. Villanova College (A teams only)
Friday 14th August – vs. Ambrose Tracey College

3 Games in a week, very tight.

Phil Joseph

Frank Row (1)
Padua have matt gatehouse as a possibility at number 9. Hes been training really hard and it'll be good to see how he performs at the trials

Phil Joseph

Frank Row (1)
It will be good to see how the boys perform over the upcoming trials, haven't seen much from the teams since isolation so it will be good to see where each team stands.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Any further predictions on 1st XV line ups? Anyone from SLC? surely by now there is an idea of their likely line up.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Likely MCA line up, with a couple of positions bracketed.

1. Darcy Hammond
2. Angus Dwyer
3. Lucas Kozlovskis
4. Lachy Laffer
5. Ethan Lucey/Neasan Sheehan
6. Tom Barlow /Tom McKinlay
7. Jack Condon
8. Nick Baker
9. Matt Mitchell
10.Harry Whitten
11. Hunter Dreghorn
12. Hayden Lammon
13. Josh Billing
14. Dwayne Ludwick
15. Floyd Aubrey

6 returning starters from 2019 1sts (Billings injured ACL in 2nd game), all others 2nds except Jack Condon and Hayden Lammon from last years 10A's.

Any updates on trial game today between SLC and Pats?

melomvp

Allen Oxlade (6)
Likely MCA line up, with a couple of positions bracketed.

1. Darcy Hammond
2. Angus Dwyer
3. Lucas Kozlovskis
4. Lachy Laffer
5. Ethan Lucey/Neasan Sheehan
6. Tom Barlow /Tom McKinlay
7. Jack Condon
8. Nick Baker
9. Matt Mitchell
10.Harry Whitten
11. Hunter Dreghorn
12. Hayden Lammon
13. Josh Billing
14. Dwayne Ludwick
15. Floyd Aubrey

6 returning starters from 2019 1sts (Billings injured ACL in 2nd game), all others 2nds except Jack Condon and Hayden Lammon from last years 10A's.

Any updates on trial game today between SLC and Pats?

SLC 32 - SPC 0

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
Iona vs Padua trial this Saturday will be interesting to see their extended teams take battle,
Looking to see Iona outside centre Charlie Kwok Sun Baker hyped for a big year he was ready for Mal Meninga cup with Wynumm obviously season being cancelled so he'll be pumped for the season.
Many Mal Meninga cup players in the AIC season.

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
Word going around is Padua received a new prop in term 3 named Harry Maugher heard he’s a talent in the making.

Grade 10 not trialling for firsts but remains to be seen if he is a talent yet, footy coming up so will get a good look at him then.

Rugby 101

Bob McCowan (2)
Padua likely bringing a 35 man squad to there trial against Iona. I dare say the starting 15 will look something like this.

Jaidyn Walker
Leighton whippy
Regan Gillepa
Jordon salmon
Max Johnson
Thom studley
Josh toohey
Poasi Manu
Dallas retchless
Tait Rogers
Codie Fisk
Aki Lomu
Darcy Ryan
Asi lomu
Will mclulluch

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
Padua likely bringing a 35 man squad to there trial against Iona. I dare say the starting 15 will look something like this.

Jaidyn Walker
Leighton whippy
Regan Gillepa
Jordon salmon
Max Johnson
Thom studley
Josh toohey
Poasi Manu
Dallas retchless
Tait Rogers
Codie Fisk
Aki Lomu
Darcy Ryan
Asi lomu
Will mclulluch

Yep Frank your predicted side looks quite spot on with what the coaches will pick, This trial will really help decide what that backline is going to look like.

Phil Joseph

Frank Row (1)

Jaidyn Walker
Leighton whippy
Regan Gillepa
Jordon salmon
Max Johnson
Thom studley
Josh toohey
Poasi Manu
Dallas retchless
Tait Rogers
Codie Fisk
Aki Lomu