• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2020

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
any info on the 10a's, who is likely to contend for the final?

I don't think Iona have lost a game in this age group ever. They should win, with maybe SPLC giving them a run in the southside division. The Northside should see MCA winning, although SEC are also strong in this age group so could be an upset there. Can't see the other schools getting close, but who knows, it's a new year.

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
Has anybody got a likely line up of the Iona side ?

Unfortunately I don't specificly know the names of many players but i know Saxon Grade 11 will be in the forward pack somewhere,
Charlie Kwok Sun Barker will probably be starting Outside centre (13)

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
This last year was Jimmy Tuckers AIC team of the season, the players high lighted in Bold and red are returning to play again in 2020, I am not sure for a few of them as they have question mark next to them on whether they have graduated or not

BEST OF AIC RUGBY XV
Floyd Aubrey (Marist)
Hamish Muir (Villanova)
Campbell Moller (Marist) - graduated
Josh Radford (Marist) - graduated
Robbie Agnew (Villanova)
Max Plath (Iona) - graduated
Sam Stephens (Marist)(?)
John Bryant (Lauries)
Lachlan Howse (Marist)(?)
Sam Mataafa (Padua) - graduated
Will Markham (Iona)(?)
Wil Mitchelmore (Marist)(?)
Bryce Huddy (Lauries)(?)
Angus Sawtell (Lauries)(?)
Ollie Harris (Villanova)
Reserves:
Morgan Prendergast (St Pats) (?)
Josh Pezzimenti (Padua) graduated
Harry Clements (Marist) (?)
James Livingstone (Villanova) (?)
Nick Baker (Marist)
George Stokes (Villanova) (?)
Charlie Kwock-Sun Barker (Iona)
Christian Torluccio (Lauries) (?)

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
This last year was Jimmy Tuckers AIC team of the season, the players high lighted in Bold and red are returning to play again in 2020, I am not sure for a few of them as they have question mark next to them on whether they have graduated or not

BEST OF AIC RUGBY XV
Floyd Aubrey (Marist)
Hamish Muir (Villanova)
Campbell Moller (Marist) - graduated
Josh Radford (Marist) - graduated
Robbie Agnew (Villanova)
Max Plath (Iona) - graduated
Sam Stephens (Marist)(?)
John Bryant (Lauries)
Lachlan Howse (Marist)(?)
Sam Mataafa (Padua) - graduated
Will Markham (Iona)(?)
Wil Mitchelmore (Marist)(?)
Bryce Huddy (Lauries)(?)
Angus Sawtell (Lauries)(?)
Ollie Harris (Villanova)
Reserves:
Morgan Prendergast (St Pats) (?)
Josh Pezzimenti (Padua) graduated
Harry Clements (Marist) (?)
James Livingstone (Villanova) (?)
Nick Baker (Marist)
George Stokes (Villanova) (?)
Charlie Kwock-Sun Barker (Iona)
Christian Torluccio (Lauries) (?)

You've got the MCA boys right.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
although is there not rumours that Aubrey hasn't actually made it back to school yet? COVID related? I think that was the case a few weeks ago at least

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Villa play MCA in a trial this coming Tuesday (covid willing )
I have heard the Villa boys have some key players out due to Basket Ball - probably the same for MCA i guess. Apparently the game is after school. Still, should be some sort of guide as to what the strength is like for both sides. This Villa team are likely to trouble every team they play. Based on what i know of this group of boys across all schools I think Villa will have a very strong mobile pack. Not the biggest maybe, but one of the best. I note no one on this thread is talking about them and that is probably how they want it. A team that underestimate Villanova would do so at their peril.

My tip is that the so called “pool of death” south of the river is between Villa and SLC. Iona and Peters won’t match it with them. So round 1 is critical. Villa play SLC at home which may make the difference ? But it will be close and a terrific game to watch. I hope the games are all live streamed like the AIC BBall

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
I will be at Banyo today viewing over Padua Vs Iona and will provide a final score, interested as it is bothteams first trial so obviously their will be klunkyness from both teams. Many Padua Grade 11's looking to step us and push for a first 15 spot.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
MCA 1sts (with alot of 2nds DEF Nudgee 2nd VX earlier today.
Nudgee parent said MCA way too strong, though watching from afar.

Scout

Peter Burge (5)
Any scores from the Padua v Iona game please

Iona defeated Padua 19-07
One Iona player seemed to be severely injured with game put on hold for 20-25 minutes while ambulance arrived,
The game wasn't a fair representation of where both teams are at. first trial game scrappy from both. Padua and Iona both interchanging between squads of 30-35.

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
One Iona player seemed to be severely injured with game put on hold for 20-25 minutes while ambulance arrived,
The game wasn't a fair representation of where both teams are at. first trial game scrappy from both. Padua and Iona both interchanging between squads of 30-35.
I suspect most trial won’t be a good indication of where the teams are at. Coaches have a very short time to get their teams ready so will want to use these as genuine selection opportunities. So that score line may not mean anything in terms of the season ahead

Vik

Chris McKivat (8)
Hope the young lad from iona is ok

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
Dont know the actual score but MCA def Villa by abt 6 tries to 0.
MCA missing 3 or so from starting XV and used reserves alot.
Villa boys a bit too small to compete.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
I had it 33-0, 5 tries and 4 conv. Looked like it would be blow out at 19-0 after 15 mins but Villa fought back well. They are a smallish team, but compete extremely well at the breakdown, forcing a lot of turnovers and penalties on the ball. MCA will have to look at that as they didn't commit numbers when required. MCA defence was immense, Villa was often going backwards in attack.

Unfortunately the ref did his best to blow the pea out of the whistle, so became a bit stop start. There was about 8 penalties for high tackles of which 1 was legitimate. This went both ways. Good solid front on, chest high ball and all tackles being blown up does nothing for the game. And ball carriers ducking into tackles and the defender being penalised is not a good look either, there has to be more onus on the ball carrier. None of these were even remotely dangerous.

That said, it was an entertaining game, played in excellent spirit. Best for MCA were 4,5,8,9,10 and 15. Especially the 9, Matt Mitchell. Was outstanding before being subbed 10 mins into the 2nd half. Best for Villa were 1, 6 and 7.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Also, Emosi was at the game today. He looks the fittest I have ever seen him. Wish him all the best with his rugby career, reckon he will be a player to watch over the next few years.

Echidna

Ward Prentice (10)
If Padua got clocked by Iona. And MCA put 5-6 tries on Villa its looking lvery much like a MCA v SLC/Iona GF.
MCA def Nudgee 2XV (plus running on 6 x 2nd players) is impressive for this comp. That result wld usually place a team near the top of the 2nd half of the pro GPS comp (given NC depth).
Have to say that this will be another MCA year. With the exception of next year which is a 3 way toss with SLC/Iona, the next strong MCA cohort is the current yr 8s being 2024. Expect a few year 10s and lots of yr 11s in future MCA teams from that group leading upto yr 12.

Shaw Road

Herbert Moran (7)
It was really the Nudgee 3rds with some 4ths,round 1 is this weekend in GPS

If Padua got clocked by Iona. And MCA put 5-6 tries on Villa its looking lvery much like a MCA v SLC/Iona GF.
MCA def Nudgee 2XV (plus running on 6 x 2nd players) is impressive for this comp. That result wld usually place a team near the top of the 2nd half of the pro GPS comp (given NC depth).
Have to say that this will be another MCA year. With the exception of next year which is a 3 way toss with SLC/Iona, the next strong MCA cohort is the current yr 8s being 2024. Expect a few year 10s and lots of yr 11s in future MCA teams from that group leading upto yr 12.

P

Paul Hocking

News coming out of Villa is that Henry Holt played well in MCA vs VNC trial
yea mate couldn't agree more. Star of the future. light on the toes, blistering right foot step, and a kick on him like a bloody demon. Can't wait to watch his next game!