• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

AIC Rugby 2021

ricky wong 21

Frank Row (1)
I think in the last few years Villa has stepped up and surprised a lot of teams (2018, 2019 - won't count 2020). Keeping in mind Villa's not a traditionally strong rugby school either!!! I've been hearing stories coming out of Villa that there is a lot of competition in the backrow department which will give the coach a few selection headaches. However, it is a very inexperienced side especially in the front row lacking a bit of size, so I can't imagine a premiership is on the cards. I think it might be another year of what if. On a positive note the current year 10 cohort has been strong in recent years including Cam Bukowski being a certain starter for first xv. If the Andrew Slack squad wants to produce a premiership side in a few years those year 10s and 11s need to be preparing now - gym and diet!!!! If you've watched enough Villa rugby like myself you'd know size is a problem, tired of seeing lanky 75kg second rowers running around!!! In terms of this year I can definitely see Villa giving a few teams a run for their money and stringing a few wins together, if a premiership is what they want they need to look at the next few years as an opportunity to develop a powerhouse it's happened once in 2010 and it can happen again!!!

Dean Moriarty

Billy Sheehan (19)
The issue is that the season don't line up. AIC has rugby in term 2 and GPS in term 3. There was a combined training between SLC and GT last year. Can't imagine that we'll see these games happen again in the future.

That would have upset State High too much who have had the inside cherry pick lane on Lauries over the last couple of years :)

Will Rogers

Bob McCowan (2)
The Villanova College First XV 2021. A tough competition they will be. Lacking in size, but not in heart, this team, who I might add will most likely be led by the likes of Gus Godwin (Played 2019 and 2020) or Tom Twaddell (Played 2020) will be one who might cause some big upsets in big games.

They have a promising backline led by scrumhalf Bailey (Jeffsey) St Ledger. (10) Cameron Bukowski, (12) Joey Wilson, (13) Gus Godwin, and (15) Will Murphy are also people to look out for and may cause trouble if all stay healthy.

The forward pack also looks strong will the likes of Harrison Wallin and Tom Twaddell playing in the second row and the likely chance of Lachlan Reardon, Tommy Lawrence and Joshua Bellinger rounding out the 6,7 and 8. Those three should be lethal this year and should be good to watch as they tear teams apart. However, there struggles lie in the front row. Harry Grant-Smith, will pack down in the No.1 jersey and will cause some real problems for some teams as he weighs in at 112kg. Xavier Borman likely to play hooker and is someone to watch, he won't be the biggest bloke on the day but will most likely have the biggest ticka. Other prop yet to be announced but Sean White and Josh Vincent look likely.

Tbone

Sydney Middleton (9)
Interesting results from the Ballymore Cup on the weekend.

SLC ended up the highest of the AIC teams, winning the 3rd place play off. Other results indicate perhaps Villa was the over achiever as they were in the seemingly tougher pool and the only team not beaten by winner SCGS, 3-3 draw, and only going down to the other finalist Downlands 17-13 plus good wins over Padua and Somerset. Iona seemed a bit disappointing, only beating Somerset albeit twice.

Looked like a close comp, no blowouts. Surprised there hasn't been any discussion about these games. Any spectators able to give more insight?

Ruby Lee

Frank Row (1)
Interesting results from the Ballymore Cup on the weekend.

SLC ended up the highest of the AIC teams, winning the 3rd place play off. Other results indicate perhaps Villa was the over achiever as they were in the seemingly tougher pool and the only team not beaten by winner SCGS, 3-3 draw, and only going down to the other finalist Downlands 17-13 plus good wins over Padua and Somerset. Iona seemed a bit disappointing, only beating Somerset albeit twice.

Looked like a close comp, no blowouts. Surprised there hasn't been any discussion about these games. Any spectators able to give more insight?

You can’t rely on the ladder as Villa didn’t play their final game as they were to play Padua again who they had already played and the coaches both agreed no point playing again as at this point so I think that if you weren’t there and your basing comments on the ladder you are incorrect. Villa and Downlands went down to the line with the ref deciding to use under 16 rules rather than open and not tell the teams which initially kept getting Villa penalties that they couldn’t understand until the ref shared that bit of info. Last try on the last play wouldn’t have been called had they had someone running the sides. As a tournament 20 min halves also reflected the outcomes I believe. Will make for an interesting Comp but Iona and Padua didn’t seem to be at their best not sure how many teams were missing players. Lauries were in the easier pool.

RedsRugbyfan101

Allen Oxlade (6)
Villa and Downlands went down to the line with the ref deciding to use under 16 rules rather than open and not tell the teams which initially kept getting Villa penalties that they couldn’t understand until the ref shared that bit of info

What under 16 rules did they play?

Peter Richards

Bob McCowan (2)
In regards to the villanova forward pack, there has been a lot of confusion with the back row. Safe to say the starting flankers should be Tommy Lawrence and Lachlan Reardon, with the 8 being the notorious Josh Bellinger. With Harry Wallin and Tomba Twaddell in the second row, this overflow of talent would unfortunately leave Benjamin Craig on the bench for a third year, however opens up a role as seconds skipper.
Looking forward to the AIC season and intriguing discussions on this forum gentlemen,
Regards, Pete.

Peter Richards

Bob McCowan (2)
it will be interesting to observe the St Pats vs. Villanova trial this coming saturday,
With the reshuffling of the backline due to a little one week sideline, player kept anonymous, Ben Craig will most likely be receiving a starting role in the Villanova forward pack (playing number 8.). However this position is not being simply just given, there are a lot of eyes on Craig this weekend as instead of just 'being a number' on the field, he will be expected to display a certain level or mongrel and aggression to have a positive impact on the result of the game. This comes especially due to the fact that Pats's notoriously oversized forward pack will be a key element to earning the 'W', meaning that all eight in the Villa forward pack must display aggression and pressure when maintaining possession and defending the movement of the ball.
Best of luck to the boys playing this weekend,
Faddi.

Greetings Fad,
St Patricks are always a team that you cannot look past, always present in size and aggression. I expect the game to be very physical and always look forward to seeing the Patricks fellas have a go. Ben Craig will definitely have to make the most of this run as it could be his first and last as a starter, however if he turns on the afterburners it could definitely impact the coaches future decisions. I expect young bronco Cameron Bukowski to embrace the physicality of this game and assert some dominance over the Pattys boys.
Safe to say i cannot wait for this weekends clash gentlemen.
Cheers, Pete.