• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks EOYT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Have changed the name of the thread to All Blacks EOYT to get some continuity; so please use this for their other games.

After the first 20 minutes or so it looked like men against boys because the Blacks started a lot better than in Hong Kong. They took their chances better than the Poms did but either side of oranges had their Honkers downtime. When they were losing 3-17 at half-time England had to play catch-up rugby but they didn't have the players to do it, though the bench helped a bit.

Reserve hooker Hartley made his presence felt when he ran from deep near the line and scored. Don't spoil a good story by saying that Ashton was comfortably offside chasing a kick by Flood up field and got the ball to set up the ruck for the pass to Hartley. Nor that Hartley was tackled short of the line, then wriggled forward like an escapee from Stalag 17 and placed the ball not immediately. "5 points" sounds better.

The All Blacks did enough to win as they nearly always do at HQ but it was another indifferent and sometimes ragged performance and no improvement on Hong Kong. England had a few forays late in the game but didn't know how to convert them into tries.

A case in point was at 6 minutes to go and 10.Flood had the ball opposite 8. Read. It was 13-20 and Flood had 3 players outside him and Read had Toeava. The ball was passed to 15. Foden but instead of running up to Read as he drifted, he passed the ball to Ashton too soon and Ashton dished to Hape who was denied a try by Toeava who shoulder charged him out, as you do. They weren't running straight and weren't doing it at pace, nor did anybody move inside. It was training paddock stuff.

As for the players: 13. SBW had a good first half but made a couple of bloopers. He shaded England's own Kiwi league convert, 12. Hape, though he did some good things too. When Conrad Smith is healthy I think SBW will get a gig at 12; just to see.

The Pom scrum was superior to the Blacks and was often rewarded with full arm penalties. One hopes that referee Poite does not get into trouble as Dickinson did when the Blacks were pinged against Italy. 1. Sheridan and 3. Cole will be licking their lips when they see a tape of the Cardiff game. Cole was probably the most influential England player; his side of the scrum was so dominant that he made NZ 1. Woodcock look like a myth.

14. Ashton was the pick of the Pom backs; the others didn't know how to convert chances. 13. Tindall was no great help when half chances came and was a dud in other areas also. 7. Moody looked ropey coming back for Bath at Leicester last week and he didn't look much better at HQ and shouldn't have played. 8. Easter had a nice couple of rumbles in the 2nd half toward the end but such go forward ball didn't happen enough

10. Carter was the official man of the match but he was ordinary in the last quarter. I thought that 11. Gear had a top game and could have got the gong. And you could see why Henry picked 5. Whitelock in front of Donnelly because he played well and looks like a real All Black. His partner 4.Thorn had a top match too as did 8. Read. But 14. Joe Rock had a poor game and will be dropped when Jane is fit.

The Blacks will probably win the rest of their Gland Slam games even they don't improve, but I think that France would have given them a huge fright had they been on the schedule

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Hosea Gear was lethal yesterday

Hape's near miss could so easily have been scored it was painful watching it. I thought Hape had a good game though and busted a few tackles as well as keeping Nonu quiet

SBW was very mixed, some great offloads and some poor ones i.e. under his own posts to Mils. Also didn't see him make too many tackles probably because there was no threat in the 13 channel.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Yeah but Hartley did some stupid stuff and his try was probably double movement

Hape was solid and better than tindall

Mils just wouldn't stop chipping or grubbering it he needs an intervention

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I woke up this morning and had a moment of clarity. True story.

I woke up and thought: the SH teams might not have it all their own way this Northern tour. Think about it this way. Go back to the start of the year, and we had a thread called "All Blicks: a wee bit shut". I agreed - I thought that this looked like the weakest AB in quite some time. What we didn't expect is that the Springboks would go completely backwards so fast. This is due to some guys getting too old, and a rule change that destroyed their game plan.

I haven't liked the way Robbie has been coaching us, and I reckon there are some selection and game plan issues across the park. So, the fact that we're number 2, might just mean that both the ABs and Boks have got worse since last year. Let's not forget that England beat us this year.

I reckon far from winning a clean sweep, we're going to lose a couple, Saffers will lose a couple, and the ABs ... well, they probably won't lose any, but they might well go close.

OK, so the SH teams got 3/3 last weekend, but all 3 were close. I reckon the gap between north and south has closed, mostly due to all 3N teams falling back a bit.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
ABs team for Scotland game:

Mils Muliaina, Isaia Toeava, Conrad Smith, Sonny Bill Williams, Hosea Gear, Daniel Carter, Jimmy Cowan, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (captain), Liam Messam, Sam Whitelock, Brad Thorn, Owen Franks, Hika Elliot/Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Andrew Hore, John Afoa, Anthony Boric, Daniel Braid, Andy Ellis, Stephen Donald, Ma'a Nonu.

Can't wait. I hope Braid gets a good run.

D

dwats002

Thought the AB's defended alot better than in HK, but still try to run the ball from deep in side their own half, where they lost it too many times. If they played more territory they wouldn't have invited them back in. Agree about Gear though, he needs to get a bit more involved however.

D

dwats002

Yeah but Hartley did some stupid stuff and his try was probably double movement

Hape was solid and better than tindall

Mils just wouldn't stop chipping or grubbering it he needs an intervention

Thought those kicks were really good though, much better than Donald's ones

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
yeh they were ok ut when you have nonu, sbw and gear outside you dont grubber it.

Also there was that really stupid one where he chipped it to foden (i think) from inside his 22 it only went about ten metres

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
SBW 10 one handed offloads in one game, MOTM

Hosea Gear lethal again, Ice was impossible to tackle and played well.

Conrad Smith was average today think he might be under some pressure for his spot

Epi

Dave Cowper (27)
Conrad Smith had a very good game I thought. I don't think they will leave him out of the big games.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
With the field position and possession stats against them the Darkness managed 49 points against the Scots, while never looking in trouble.

Poor performance by the Scots.

$BW played well on offense, against an ordinary defensive effort from the Scots. His overall game is improving and by RWC time should be right on song (injuries allowing).

All the hype about his "offloading" is interesting. Isn't that the role of the inside backs? To draw the opposition defenders (two or more), commit them to the tackle, and pass to the now unmarked players outside you for them to stroll over the line for 5 points.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
All Blacks looked good. The Scottish national anthem is a cracker. It sends a shiver down my spine when I hear it. No need for pop stars and old boy chiors. Just play the music and the growd will handle he ref. Awsome stuf.

Status
Not open for further replies.