• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks sponsored by the US taxpayer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
This is the new logo. I hate it. Apparently they are paying less the Adidas.

7808871.jpg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The american taxpayer probably bailed them out at some point.

And how!

The Federal Reserve (i.e. the American taxpayer) loaned AIG $90 billion through the GFC. There have been more capital contributions by way of share issues by the Fed so the overall bailout is higher than the $90 billion.

Maybe this is a tactic to get more Americans interested in rugby. They'll feel like they've contributed to Richie's new glider or paid for Piri Weepu's lunch(es).

Reactions: mjw

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah, I am exaggerating. Kind of like a headline writer for the Sun to get you to read my thread.

However, I hate it.

It's too big.

It is on the front.

They are paying less than Adidas (who can't be pleased).

AIG (to those who know a little about the global financial crisis) is a symbol of corruption and the common man paying for the mistakes of a greedy few.

In summary. It sux.

Saying this, I realize sponsorship is necessary. I just don't like this particular one.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe there's a synergy.

When AIG failed, the whole of the country paid for it.

When the All Blacks fail, the whole of the country goes into mourning.

Two entities that both have such an impact on their nation.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I actually think that's just people living in dream world Bon, I have heard today from one of mates that he worries it selling AB jersey out, I think it just way of world, most of ue kiwis forget a few years back we had Steinlager and Canterbury logos on jersey. they are paying less than Adidas Franklind, but Adidas get the big direct money out of deal. So although they're probably not jumping for joy, they can't be too unhappy.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I'm really happy with it. The NZRU's financial position gives me sleepless nights, so this is a great step. I'm also thrilled that one of the biggest companies in the world is even interested in sponsoring a national rugby team, when their last sponsorship was of ManU.

The jersey has a thing on it. So what. As long as it never gets colour.

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
The logo on the AB's jersey does not have the white border around it. I think fans will barely notice it during the anthems and probably not at all during the game. I'm for it as well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If Paul Cully is right, it is a pretty good deal, near to $20 million/ year. Worth it, I would think.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's tiiiiiiiiiiny. If I were AIG, I'd be furious.

Didn't AIG sponsor Manchester United some time ago? Can someone please put up a soccer shirt with AIG featured on it.

PS. Got down to your post, Ant, after replying to FSS's earlier one, not trying to steal your thunder.

Status
Not open for further replies.