• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks v Poms, Test 1 Auckland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Stick a fork in us, we're officially done. Unlikely to ever win a game again, according to uber-troll Mick Cleary. My god he writes some tripe at times. Reading the comments, he is getting bagged by the poms as much as us.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...-they-no-longer-carry-the-swagger-of-old.html

You might think its tripe, but I would say its not disrespectful to the NZ team; just debunking that aura of invincibility that has hovered over them since 2012.
That aura has led to most teams being beaten before they ran on. I would argue it was the reason that Ireland went oh so close last year but fell at the last hurdle. I felt they were clearly the better team on the night.

I would also argue it is the reason Nonu gets away with crap and penalties five metres out from the NZ line are almost never accompanied by yellow cards. Referees are human too and I think that aura has affected them as much as anyone else.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The Aura, confusing stuff over the years, they say it's gone, then it's back again, then this week it's affecting the refs, now Joe Marler comes out in the papers and says nope, it's gone again.

Whatever you say Joe!

Conrad-Smith.jpg

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Christ that aura business is a load of shit, noone is beaten because they are in aura of the All Blacks, it could maybe just every now and then the Abs are better coached, maybe at other times they have simply better players, and ok at times they have a bit of luck, but they have no divine aura about them, or they would never lose tests, and evy now and then they do.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Christ that aura business is a load of shit, noone is beaten because they are in aura of the All Blacks, it could maybe just every now and then the Abs are better coached, maybe at other times they have simply better players, and ok at times they have a bit of luck, but they have no divine aura about them, or they would never lose tests, and evy now and then they do.

The English only get to play you lot once a year if they're lucky, and apart from the diarrhoea-soaked farce of the 2012 Twickenham test, have been sorely beaten almost every time since 2003. No wonder they claim there's an aura. All that rubbish about auras also helps distract commentary away from the harsh reality that teams have generally been below the All Blacks' standard since day dot.

Stuart Barnes was right in saying that one win in NZ would show England to be on course for the RWC. A series win would be cause for serious chest beating. As it stands they're zero from one.

Test two will be a cracker.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
All Blacks have made only one change for 2nd test, Savea in and Ben Smith to fullback for Dagg who is injured. Personally, I would of quite liked to see Vito perhaps at 8, Kaino to 6 (where he more devastating I think), but overall, not really surprised at line up!

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
What the fuck is an aura anyway?

If you turn up thinking you are going to lose that's a selection issue. I.e - you shouldn't have been.

Looking forward to this weekend. No idea whats going to happen, but surely the game can't be as utterly dour as last week.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I've just got to watch this game. I can't see the Kiwis playing that badly again or the Poms playing that well. The coaches have seen what the english have now and will already have a plan worked out.

What was with all the fucking kicking?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
?.. All that rubbish about auras also helps distract commentary away from the harsh reality that teams have generally been below the All Blacks' standard since day dot.

Yeah, I've been reading this aura shit for 40 years & suspect it pre-dates me by several decades. Seems to me it's a way of making their occasional victory look more important - historic, even - than NZ's more frequent losses to SA & Oz. Similarly when Ireland/ Scotland/ Wales get close on the odd occasion it's all about how they were on the brink of making history but somehow denied by something beyond their control. Yet another reason why I take special joy out've seeing the Poms & Celts get smashed.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah, I've been reading this aura shit for 40 years & suspect it pre-dates me by several decades. Seems to me it's a way of making their occasional victory look more important - historic, even - than NZ's more frequent losses to SA & Oz. Similarly when Ireland/ Scotland/ Wales get close on the odd occasion it's all about how they were on the brink of making history but somehow denied by something beyond their control. Yet another reason why I take special joy out've seeing the Poms & Celts get smashed.

I think you totally misunderstand the nature of the aura. Its not something beyond their control that causes other teams to lose. An aura is something that one or more people "see" that is not able to be seen by others with a more scientific and less intuitive bent in their personalities. I have heard some quite impressive people talk about auras that they can see around a person, yet when I look at them I see nothing but a person.

The aura that surrounds NZ rugby is that they are nigh on invincible no matter how they play the game. That they will always win even if they are not the better team. If that aura is seen by someone it affects the way they think. McCaw's "cloke of invisibility" is an aura. Those who see it are diminished by seeing it. The Irish lost the game last year IMO because they saw the aura and reacted accordingly. Unconsciously, they were playing NZ and made in-game decisions, particularly in the last five minutes, that were not optimal.

If the people involved don't see the aura then they play as though they were playing just another team. So seeing the aura diminishes the person seeing it and affects their performance. NZ coaches subtly feed the "aura" story because they know if they can get it into the heads of their opponents they are halfway on to winning before they start.

What did Hanson say last week after the game? That his team "didn't really play like All Blacks", but that they had to do much better this week. The subtle underlying message is that England only got close because the team did not play like "All Blacks", this mythical super power that dominates world rugby. Any opposing team buying into that has already lost!

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
The plot thickens.

So it's like the Aurara Borealis?

ps, that sounds like an entrepreneurial venture I might have to run with. "Come see the All Blacks Aurara Borealis!" They'll come from far and wide. $5 bucks a head, then the punters are ushered into a dark room where they sit for a while left to their own devices. After a disorientating length of time the lights come back on "show's over folks" I'll say and out they go...

"Did you see it?" I'll casually ask them at they exit.
"Nah didn't see a thing."
"It was there, you just didn't know where to look."

then I'll suavely talk em' into going around for another burl.

Another $5.

CHING CHING MOTHERF**ERS

Status
Not open for further replies.