• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs Springbokke @ Wellington

Status
Not open for further replies.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
You have no direction from your 10 and 12, who also happens to be the captain. Very average players.

Surely you must be a troll?

Pollard has attacking flair, he is young, but he has a very good skillset.. Unless you dont place much weight on the panel of experts who awarded him the 2014 JRWC Player of the tournament (Not to mention that he started competed at this event 3 times starting at the age of 16/17.) - Raw yes, without direction, you're having a laugh!

Hanson's thoughts on Pollard @10:

Pollard's lack of experience - he has played just three tests - would not be an issue, he thought.
"I remember when Dan Carter didn't have any test caps and I was coaching Wales. And he smashed us," a laconic Hansen said of the 2003 clash in Hamilton where the All Blacks won 55-3 and Carter scored 20 points.
"So how many test caps you have, I guess it's relevant when it comes to experience, but if you have the ability to play the game then that eases that away too."

With regards to JdV he is going to be a test centenarian come this weekend, and unless you know more than a certain All Black Center:

Smith, who will be earning his 80th cap on Saturday, says his opponent's versatility is behind his longevity.
'Like most midfielders who play over a long period of time you have to be quite versatile.
'He's a big guy and his physicality is strong, but his running lines, his ability to use his feet, his passing game ... all those things are massive attributes. That's the only way you survive as a midfielder because if you are a one-trick pony you get worked out pretty quick.
'You can have a good couple of years, but unless you find another few parts to your game you get worked out and someone else will take your spot. The fact he's been playing as long as I've been playing shows how multi-skilled he is.'
http://www.sarugbymag.co.za/blog/details/multi-skilled-jean-impresses-smith

I'd say you're a clueless clown.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pollard is very talented no doubt but he's not currently a Test player imo. Needs more Super Rugby games under his belt. His two tests were awful against Argentina when put under pressure. He's not even the best 10 at the Bulls.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Pollard is very talented no doubt but he's not currently a Test player imo. Needs more Super Rugby games under his belt. His two tests were awful against Argentina when put under pressure. He's not even the best 10 at the Bulls.
Who do you rate higher then him at the Bulls?

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
To be fair, Ludeke has selected JLP ahead of Pollard for most of the season (until HM called him up to start for the Bokke)

I am still of the opinion that this is a good move regardless of the outcome. The fact that HM is willing to grow Pollard is good, as it indicates there is a search going on (now if only the same could be said for a backup to du Preez!). Steyn is a known quantity, and will pretty much be able to produce then what he has given us over the years come RWC

P

Pjmil

Surely you must be a troll?

Pollard has attacking flair, he is young, but he has a very good skillset.. Unless you dont place much weight on the panel of experts who awarded him the 2014 JRWC Player of the tournament (Not to mention that he started competed at this event 3 times starting at the age of 16/17.) - Raw yes, without direction, you're having a laugh!

Hanson's thoughts on Pollard @10:

With regards to JdV he is going to be a test centenarian come this weekend, and unless you know more than a certain All Black Center:

Calm down champ, was talking about Steyn from your previous games.

PiXeL_Ninja

Bill Watson (15)
Then he must be phenomenal as he boasts both jerseys? Or are you going to cop out and claim the 12 you were referring to is F Steyn?

Just a bit over Aussies claiming we are shit, when the fact is it was the Wallabies who shipped the points vs the Blecks, and you WILL ship points vs us at home. Your side did not deserve to win last week at home and that is fact. Luckily they did win though, otherwise I wouldnt be able to work due to me soaking up the delicious tears on this forum.

P

Pjmil

Then he must be phenomenal as he boasts both jerseys? Or are you going to cop out and claim the 12 you were referring to is F Steyn?

Just a bit over Aussies claiming we are shit, when the fact is it was the Wallabies who shipped the points vs the Blecks, and you WILL ship points vs us at home. Your side did not deserve to win last week at home and that is fact. Luckily they did win though, otherwise I wouldnt be able to work due to me soaking up the delicious tears on this forum.

12 as in JvD.

P

Pjmil

Smith, who will be earning his 80th cap on Saturday, says his opponent's versatility is behind his longevity.
'Like most midfielders who play over a long period of time you have to be quite versatile.
'He's a big guy and his physicality is strong, but his running lines, his ability to use his feet, his passing game . all those things are massive attributes. That's the only way you survive as a midfielder because if you are a one-trick pony you get worked out pretty quick.
'You can have a good couple of years, but unless you find another few parts to your game you get worked out and someone else will take your spot. The fact he's been playing as long as I've been playing shows how multi-skilled he is.'

Wow, a player saying something nice about another player. Haven't heard that before.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
You are not serious. :( Look I am pretty sure Pollards defense , distribution and attacking skills is much better then Morne, even Lambie. Pollard wont shy away from the physical exchanges and wont mind getting his pants dirty. JLP & Morne dont like dirty pants. Pollard place and line kicking is top notch. Its between the ears that may hurt him now but he sure have the talent to become the worlds prime 10. It may not happen now , but he'll get there. He is a real hard worker and a cool head.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
To be fair, Ludeke has selected JLP ahead of Pollard for most of the season (until HM called him up to start for the Bokke)

I am still of the opinion that this is a good move regardless of the outcome. The fact that HM is willing to grow Pollard is good, as it indicates there is a search going on (now if only the same could be said for a backup to du Preez!). Steyn is a known quantity, and will pretty much be able to produce then what he has given us over the years come RWC
OuBoet Ludeke is useless.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Dem_tears.jpg

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
How many tries did the Bulls score when they actually won the Super Rugby comp? Quite a few.

Are you serious?

Let's look at the years the Bulls won, and compare against (Brumbies, Crusaders, Stormers, Chiefs)

2010 - 51 tries - more than anyone else versus (40, 46, 39, 40)
2009 48 tries versus (36, 49, under 30 ,47)
2007 47 tries versus (30, 47, under 30, 43)

Guess what? YOU NEED POINTS.

And let's talk World Cups. Why did we lose that World Cup QF against the Wobs. For the EXACT same reason we lost this least weekend. Bash bash bash. Try to force penalties . No imagination. No ability to score that try which would seal the game. Yeah the ref let Pocock get away with murder that day but we haas so much ball and yet we just we had no idea.

PS I agree with your argument that Meyer has his hands tied. He cant change the way the players play overnight. I have posted that many times.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That is the nub of it. Plan A does not work so we try Plan B. The problem is Plan B is the same as Plan A except it has the A rubbed out and B written in crayon.
I really would like to see us play a test where we try and keep the ball in hand and play some rugby. I dont care if we get thumped at least it would have been worth watching. The biggest frustration of being a Bok supporter is watching some really talented players playing a dros style of rugby. (Well there is one bigger frustration - try being a a SA cricket supporter)

It would be a good thing for the Boks to play more ball in hand. In this regard they are probably lagging a little behind the Wallabies atm. Both teams were more inclined to kick than run in recent years, but I think the Wallabies under Link have shown more inclination to retain possession and test their abilities to run the ball. They have had more success doing so as well, although not against the ABs. And it is a much more satisfying spectacle for the supporters. So, here's hoping you get your way.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Are you serious?

Let's look at the years the Bulls won, and compare against (Brumbies, Crusaders, Stormers, Chiefs)

2010 - 51 tries - more than anyone else versus (40, 46, 39, 40)
2009 48 tries versus (36, 49, under 30 ,47)
2007 47 tries versus (30, 47, under 30, 43)

Guess what? YOU NEED POINTS.

And let's talk World Cups. Why did we lose that World Cup QF against the Wobs. For the EXACT same reason we lost this least weekend. Bash bash bash. Try to force penalties . No imagination. No ability to score that try which would seal the game. Yeah the ref let Pocock get away with murder that day but we haas so much ball and yet we just we had no idea.

PS I agree with your argument that Meyer has his hands tied. He cant change the way the players play overnight. I have posted that many times.
Exactly my point. Heyneke's template does score points.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Forget all the talk about the decline of the Springboks. This weekend’s clash between New Zealand and South Africa promises to be a wonderful occasion and should be just as intense and competitive as any previous test match between these two traditional foes.

Any time the two best teams square off against each other, there is plenty at stake. Bragging rights mean as much as IRB ranking points and both teams will be keen to gain a psychological advantage over their opponent with next year’s Rugby World Cup just around the corner. Not only is this game an epic, stand-alone fixture in its own right, but it shapes up as being absolutely crucial in determining this season’s Rugby Championship winner.

Both teams have suffered set backs so far in this tournament. The All Blacks were lucky to hold on for a draw in Sydney, whilst the Springboks played poorly in back to back games against Argentina before suffering an unlucky loss at Subiaco. The team that wins this game will take a healthy points lead into the pusiness end of the tournament. The Springboks have their backs to the wall, but historically that has been when they have been at their best and most dangerous.

The All Blacks are undefeated since late 2012 and field a surprisingly settled team given the high number of first choice players who are missing through injury. Dan Carter, Tony Woodcock, Jerome Kaino, Sam Whitelock and Liam Messam are all out injured, but as always with the All Blacks their replacements are not just capable, they’re exceptional. And they’re hungry for opportunity and grateful for the chance to wear the black jersey.

Coach Steve Hansen will be pleased with his team’s success this season, although privately he would concede that the All Blacks’ performances have not always been consistent or top shelf. He will be acutely aware that even a Springbok team low in confidence and in relatively poor form will pose a severe challenge for his charges come Saturday evening. And anything less than a complete, 80 minute performance by the All Blacks could result in a costly defeat.

Aaron Cruden has recovered from injury and rightfully reclaims his no.10 jersey, forcing Beaudan Barrett back to the reserves where he will cover both flyhalf and fullback.

Injuries to both Liam Messam and Jerome Kaino sees Steven Luatua promoted to the starting XV, where he will combine with Crusaders duo Kieran Read and Richie McCaw in the backrow.

This is a massive opportunity for Luatua to redeem himself and win back the respect of his teammates and coaches. An indifferent start to the 2014 season, where he struggled with form and fitness, saw him unceremoniously dumped from the squad during the England series. The Springboks are always physical, priding themselves on their strength and power and Steven Luatua will be called upon to provide a physical presence both on defense, at the breakdown collisions and when countering rolling mauls. Of great interest will be how he combines with Kieran Read, as both players are at their best playing wider in attack. Don’t be surprised if Luatua is under instruction to play a much tighter role on Saturday night.

Israel Dagg has deservedly retained his spot at 15. Find of the season Malachai Fekitoa drops off an All Black bench which is notable for its lack of midfield cover. Right winger Ben Smith can cover centre, but no-one in the match day XXIII has played any meaningful minutes at second five eighth. Steve Hansen will no doubt be praying that his talismanic no.12 Ma’a Nonu can avoid injury for the duration of the game.
The Springboks were left stunned and disappointed after their last gasp loss to the Wallabies in Perth, and coach Heyneke Meyer’s men will know that a loss this weekend will end their chances of winning this year’s silverware. Meyer dropped a stunning selection bombshell this week, replacing experienced flyhalf Morne Steyn with the preciously talented but inexperienced Handre Pollard.

South African U20s captain Pollard’s selection has been a game changer this week. It’s redefined the team, redefined Meyer as a coach and could potentially redefine the way the Springboks play. It’s immensely risky but potentially hugely rewarding. Fast tracking Pollard’s career in such a bold fashion could be Meyer’s best ever decision as a professional coach. Pollard’s ability to handle the step up from under 20s level to the All Blacks will be crucial in determining the outcome of this match. The risk Meyer has taken is that Pollard is not quite ready to face a team of the standard of New Zealand, and his confidence is dented.

Elsewhere the Springboks team is settled. Ruan Pienaar has his critics, but provides a calming influence at scrumhalf. Captain Jean de Villiers has received glowing platitudes from both Richie McCaw and Steve Hansen this week in the lead up to his 100th test match and his combination with young Bulls centre Jan Serfontein will be crucial, especially defensively. In Vermuelen and Louw the Springboks boast two of the most physical and hardest working loose forwards in test rugby. Matfield and Etzebeth performed well in the lineouts against the Wallabies, and in the absence of Sam Whitelock will be looking to apply immense pressure on the All Black jumpers.

The scrum battle will be intriguing and potentially match deciding. By their own high standards the Springbok scrum was poor against the Pumas, and forwards coach Johann van Graan has worked hard to rectify this facet of their game. The scrummaged well against the Wallabies in Perth and will be looking to gain the ascendency again on Saturday night. Tenda Mtawarira and Janie du Plessis are both physical, highly experienced props and the smaller, less-credentialed All Black front 5 may struggle to deliver a stable platform from which to attack. Wyatt Crockett arguably exceeded expectations against the Pumas in Napier, but will need to match that performance if he is to establish himself as a genuine, long term contender for Tony Woodcock’s Loosehead position.

There are so many intriguing individual match-ups right across the park, as you’d expect when the best two teams in the world are playing. However arguably the most important and decisive contest will be the battle of the coaching teams. The battle of tactics and strategy. Steve Hansen has been on the charm offensive this week and has openly admitted to liking and respecting his opposing head coach, Heyneke Meyer. Both men are incredibly driven and will have been targeting this match all year. Whoever’s team can employ the best tactics, play to the referee and the conditions and nullify their opposition’s strengths will triumph. Meyer has set the tone tactically for the week by introducing rising star Pollard. How Hansen responds to this will be very interesting.

The Springboks have the talent and the capacity to play open, expansive and attacking rugby. However when placed under pressure they often revert back to the conservative, risk averse, 10 man style which defines South African Rugby. They will need to do more than just kick and chase against NZ if they are to be victorious in two days’ time. And in Handre Pollard, Meyer has selected a flyhalf capable of playing an attacking brand of rugby. Let’s just hope we see this on Saturday night.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Agreed Baldric, regardless of the result I hope that come Sunday morning no-one is talking about the match officials, except perhaps to say how good they were.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
AC Pollard wish on PR
Ali's Choice wrote:
I'm looking forward to Aaron Cruden making Pollard his plaything. His wanton little plaything. I want to see Pollard being used and abused, both physically and emotionally. I want to see the kind of abuse that leads to bed-wetting, self harm and premature aging. I want to see Pollard being passed around the All Black team, like a drunken fresher on spring break. I want Pollard to be left questioning not just his future in the game, but the meaning of life and his own sexuality. I want to see Pollard suffer publicly, and left a broken shell of a human being. Consumed by self doubt and inner-turmoil. That would make me so happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.