• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs Springbokke @ Wellington

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Seriously? He was asked a question and he answered it.

Ok what i read did not imply that.

All Blacks complaining about gamesmanship and pushing the boundaries of the rules.

funny-pictures-history-oh-the.jpg

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Ok what i read did not imply that.

All Blacks complaining about gamesmanship and pushing the boundaries of the rules.

funny-pictures-history-oh-the.jpg

It said both McCaw & Read raised it as an issue with the ref during the match. Which they're perfectly entitled to do.

Read then provides a quote about the topic which is obviously in response to a question about it - hardly a big deal IMO.

Sure, the AB's push the boundaries but so does every other side out there. And slowing things down in that manner is hardly new - it's so prevalent it's become a cliche that players tend to suddenly get a cramp or have to retie a bootlace when they're about to pack down for a defensive scrum.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Nah,I'm with Blue on this.
The AB's have perfected the art,everyone else is just taking hints of them.
If you are going to bend the rules,shut the fuck up if you think someone else is doing it.
It's like cricketers that don't walk when they know they are out,who then complain when others don't walk.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
It said both McCaw & Read raised it as an issue with the ref during the match. Which they're perfectly entitled to do.

Read then provides a quote about the topic which is obviously in response to a question about it - hardly a big deal IMO.

Sure, the AB's push the boundaries but so does every other side out there. And slowing things down in that manner is hardly new - it's so prevalent it's become a cliche that players tend to suddenly get a cramp or have to retie a bootlace when they're about to pack down for a defensive scrum.

Yeah, but how long did it take to set those two last scrums on the All Black line?

As you say all teams do it, don't complain about things that you did only minutes earlier.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Nah,I'm with Blue on this.
The AB's have perfected the art,everyone else is just taking hints of them.
If you are going to bend the rules,shut the fuck up if you think someone else is doing it.
It's like cricketers that don't walk when they know they are out,who then complain when others don't walk.
To be quite honest, haven't read what was said ,but this is stupid thing to say, so if someone accepts over the last few years maybe some of the Boks have perfected the art of cheap shots, are you saying seriously if JDV sees someone taking cheapshots at Boks he has to shut the fuck up, mate your dislike of the ABs makes you post stupid posts!!

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Yeah, but how long did it take to set those two last scrums on the All Black line?

As you say all teams do it, don't complain about things that you did only minutes earlier.

All teams also try and influence the ref both on and off the field, before, during and after the match.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
All teams also try and influence the ref both on and off the field, before, during and after the match.

Yes. So let all teams shut their traps and answer any potentially controversial related questions with a quick change of subject so no headlines can be written in the first place.

Would have thought its pretty damn obvious or are the ABs starting to consider themselves above this basic unspoken agreement between senior players?

Unless of course we are all happy that the next time a journo asks if JdV thinks McCaw was offside he can respond with something like: "Yes, and we think at every fucken ruck for 15 years."

Does Wyatt Cricket scrums straight? "No, we think his mother must have been a crab."

Do you think the All Blacks take the space being the ruck? "No but they keep asking us to call a waiter once the hang around on our side of the ruck, which is kind of often."

Grant NZ

Bill Watson (15)
Yes. So let all teams shut their traps and answer any potentially controversial related questions with a quick change of subject so no headlines can be written in the first place.

Would have thought its pretty damn obvious or are the ABs starting to consider themselves above this basic unspoken agreement between senior players?

Unless of course we are all happy that the next time a journo asks if JdV thinks McCaw was offside he can respond with something like: "Yes, and we think at every fucken ruck for 15 years."

Does Wyatt Cricket scrums straight? "No, we think his mother must have been a crab."

Do you think the All Blacks take the space being the ruck? "No but they keep asking us to call a waiter once the hang around on our side of the ruck, which is kind of often."

Teams bring up those things all the time.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Maybe in New Zealand but I don't see it often and I read all mainstream rugby sites / blogs.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To be quite honest, haven't read what was said ,but this is stupid thing to say, so if someone accepts over the last few years maybe some of the Boks have perfected the art of cheap shots, are you saying seriously if JDV sees someone taking cheapshots at Boks he has to shut the fuck up, mate your dislike of the ABs makes you post stupid posts!!
Well yeah, I am saying that if you are going to give it,then cop like a man when it comes back.
If players want to give the ref advice,then retire and buy a flag.
Otherwise shut the fuck up.

Just look at half a game of League.its got to the stage where they have 2 refs,2 touch judges,a video ref and 34 assistant refs putting their spoke in it,on every play of the day.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I can only wish. I grew up with his dad (Andre) and played in the same prymary school team. Know them personally and probably my bias (with reason)

I really hope you don't have a son.. Or atleast he doesn't read GAGR!

Jokes aside - thats a cool rugby connection.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I really hope you don't have a son.. Or atleast he doesn't read GAGR!

Jokes aside - thats a cool rugby connection.
I got two sons. 30 year old and a 15 year old. Tried my best to get them in rugby but for some reason both go the hockey route. Both playing provincial , the older one now coaching a club in the WP hockey leagues. :)

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I don't think you guys actually read what Read said. The headline is rather inflammatory & not representative of the comments.

Fact 1. All blacks wanted to play a fast game with little stops.
Fact 2. South Africa didn't.
Fact 3. NZ (And SA tactics suggest they agree) believe they would have gone much better in a fast game.
Fact 4. SA don't have to play a fast game if they don't want to.

That is it. Nothing to see here. Magnificent sportsmanship shown after the game, lets not let some wanker with a headline take away from what was a typical NZ/AB test match.

Anway enough of that, thoughts on the match. SA defence was incredible, NZ attack was absolutely relentless & it took a bit of magic/skill/luck to breach it. SA try was a peach as well. Overall think we deserved the victory as we seemingly played most of the rugby. Pollard looks like he's going to cause some serious frustration over the next decade - what a class player.

On the NZ side, looking forward to a Nonu-less few months. I'm a big fan of him, but I think Crotty has done well & I'm excited about watching Fekitoa in black. SBW is already inked in for the November tour apparently, so he shouldn't be missed too much.

I think the return match is going to be a blow out. One team will win by 15 points.. but I don't know which one it will be.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I think the return match is going to be a blow out. One team will win by 15 points.. but I don't know which one it will be.
MR you have always been my favourate Kiwi poster. I am looking forward to the rematch and the Wallaby test coming up. The Bokke had a good tour and came so close in both tests. Now they must show they can beat both rivals at home. That will be a fine start for the bigger picture. Only a year left and the CC show we have some exciting youngsters coming through the ranks.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Probably hit the nail on the proverbial head MR, if I hadn't been so bloody tired after weekend perhaps I would of just come up with a reply half as good. Just seemed that couple of posters were taking headline as gospel and suggesting that players should or should not approach ref to see if they can speed game up or slow it down a bit. I sure JDV (who I consider one of true gentleman captains) also suggested to ref at times he would like things looked at, just according to reasoning of Blue and I Like to Watch, because they were trying to slow it down he should not approach ref either,
Anyway agree there seemed to be some great sportsmanship after game and certainly thought there was an awful lot of fespect shown before game. I actually thought when you watched a couple of old fellas McCaw and Matfield out there and the way you could wee them at end of game, they both knew it was another classic AB/Bok test, and we shouldn't let pettiness ruin it in anyway.
I also like you can't for the life of me decide who will win next one, but look forward to iy with all usual anticiption!

Status
Not open for further replies.