• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

All Blacks vs Springboks, Wellington

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Springboks call up van der Merwe
July 14, 2010
Story by: AP
The Boks have called up Flip van der Merwe

South Africa have added lock Flip van der Merwe to their Bundaberg Red Tri-Nations Rugby squad after the suspension of Test veteran Bakkies Botha for head-butting.

Van der Merwe, from the Pretoria-based Bulls, will join the squad ahead of Saturday's second Test against New Zealand but is not part of the team for that match.

He will provide cover at lock for the Springboks' next Tri-Nations Test, against the Qantas Wallabies in Brisbane on July 24.

Botha was suspended for nine weeks on Monday for head-butting All Blacks halfback Jimmy Cowan in the opening minute of last week's Tri-Nations test at Auckland.

New Zealand beat the Springboks 32-12. Van der Merwe made his Test debut against France in Cape Town last month.

Injuries force changes to All Blacks side
July 15, 2010 - 7:22AM

Winger Joe Rokocoko and scrumhalf Jimmy Cowan have been ruled out of New Zealand's team for Saturday's second Tri Nations Test against South Africa because of injury.

Rokocoko has a strained hamstring and has been replaced by Rene Ranger, who will make his first start for the All Blacks.

Cowan has an abdominal strain and has been named among the reserves, with Piri Weepu handed a starting spot.

They are the only two changes to the New Zealand line-up that started last weekend's 32-12 win over the world champions in Auckland.

South Africa made two changes on Wednesday to their team, with CJ van der Linde replacing injured prop Jannie du Plessis and Danie Rossouw coming in for suspended lock Bakkies Botha.

New Zealand: Mils Muliaina, Cory Jane, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Rene Ranger, Daniel Carter, Piri Weepu, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw , Jerome Kaino, Tom Donnelly, Brad Thorn, Owen Franks, Keven Mealamu, Tony Woodcock.
Reserves: Corey Flynn, Ben Franks, Sam Whitelock, Liam Messam, Jimmy Cowan, Aaron Cruden, Israel Dagg.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Rather glad they've kept on Cowan and not given Matthewson a shot. Cowan and Weepu are relatively weak links in an AB team that doesn't have many weaknesses. Matthewson looked the best 9 in the Kiwi S14 teams this year and the AB's getting a better 9 would not be good for us or the Boks!

Cowan is a poor performer and a serial cheat (in the Bakkies Botha mould). Still remember him doing a Richard Loe on Palu in Dunedin and getting off scott free because Palu didn't get a broken jaw and jumped up and hit him back. Palu got ten minutes in the bin.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rather glad they've kept on Cowan and not given Matthewson a shot. Cowan and Weepu are relatively weak links in an AB team that doesn't have many weaknesses. Matthewson looked the best 9 in the Kiwi S14 teams this year and the AB's getting a better 9 would not be good for us or the Boks!

Cowan is a poor performer and a serial cheat (in the Bakkies Botha mould). Still remember him doing a Richard Loe on Palu in Dunedin and getting off scott free because Palu didn't get a broken jaw and jumped up and hit him back. Palu got ten minutes in the bin.

Couldn't agree more about Mathewson, but Cowan has a lot of experience at the Test level. Still, I think Mathewson would be the more dangerous choice. He looked very sharp at the Blues.

As an aside, a question for our foreign posters, Paarlbok, MR and any other SA/NZ folk around here:
When I read the South African and New Zealand team sheets, there are a number of players who strike fear into the hearts of fans. Key players who I dread seeing lining up against the Wallabies.
Do any of the Wallabies players have this effect when you look at our line up? Because at this point in time, I suspect not.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Couldn't agree more about Mathewson, but Cowan has a lot of experience at the Test level. Still, I think Mathewson would be the more dangerous choice. He looked very sharp at the Blues.

As an aside, a question for our foreign posters, Paarlbok, MR and any other SA/NZ folk around here:
When I read the South African and New Zealand team sheets, there are a number of players who strike fear into the hearts of fans. Key players who I dread seeing lining up against the Wallabies.
Do any of the Wallabies players have this effect when you look at our line up? Because at this point in time, I suspect not.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member

You could always post this question over at TSF, but I suspect you already know the response you would get.:)

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
DPK

It is not from a sanzar point of view but from an english point of view TPN and Palu are the only players who have a physical presence that strikes fear into the fans. Other players like genia, pocock and giteau (a few years ago) are just feared due to class.

I don't think the wallabies have had that sort of team for a while, as someone mentioned a couple of months back The all blacks are known for their dynamism and that they are unbelievably clinical. RSA known for brute strength of the team and intimidate other teams with it, AUS are known for great backline finesse and class.

So we don't tend to fear their physicality or their brutish behaviour (sorry RSA fans after watching the lions series i have concluded you are the dirtiest team on the planet lol) we just fear the fact that you will dominate us and rip us apart in the backs due to superior skills.

THe last Aus player that would fit in with the boks would be either Justin Harrison or Duncan McRae lol

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
DPK - I don't buy into much of the hyperbole about players "striking fear" from any country even the ABs. It always made me laugh when I heard guys rabbit on about Jerry Collins etc etc. But I guess fans get wrapped up in the game in different ways and each to their own.

I think the OZ squad has some genuine good players, but the problem is that if you're team isn't performing (and winning) any individual feats are often overlooked IMO. Problem with some of your "bg ball carriers" (ie TPN or Palu) is that they really haven't had great games vs the ABs or have been sidelined far too much. Pocock's a good plyer but he needs his back row sidekicks playing well to have the sort of impact you would want. McCaw's game went to a new level when he had consistent game time wit Rodney and Collins.

But the beauty from where I sit is that rugby is the ultimate team game and theres alot happening around the "great" players that help them actually look great.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yeah, I dont mean they give you nightmares, rather players that you dont like to see playing against your side. World class blokes (if any)/

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
None really. I hate it when I see a team play better than the ABs, and that's what happened during that dark days of 98-02. OZ were a better team. ABs still had some "class" players but OZ were a well oiled machine for most of those years.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Boet to be honest the current Bok team have a few that strike fear in me and notn any All Black or Wallaby as such. Pie Eater Januarie as a example, Dick Muir as our backline coach and I am also start losing it with Snor , picking NH players for the Bok team. I fear he is stubborn and keep on playing the same stock up to WC 2011 and not man enough to make the right changes.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
What was the yellow for? Looked like Dannie grabbed McCaw's cock..
I wonder what Allain saw... would have thought that reversing the penalty would have been sufficient punishment. Ended up costing the Boks 13 points.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The standard of this week is a fair way down on last week, I think this game is anyones. ABs score two long range tries against 14 men, the Saffas hit back with a late one from a pretty simple backline move and then drive. Other than that the game has been played in the middle 3rd. The Boks look pretty lifeless with ball in hand, but jeez the ABs are making some simple errors.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Robinson. Genia.

There are a few people like Elsom and Gits who used to but they have been shit of late.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Bokke decision making was very poor at times.

It got one hell of a lot better when Pienaar came on.

Guys like Habana look lethargic. He had a golden opportunity to run onto Kirchner shoulder with a clear run to the line. He did not even follow hi,

Spies should be dropped. Of that I have no doubt. I counted five times where he chose to run next to a black, waiting for someone else to make the tackle. Twice he had the pace tocatch up with a guy but he just kept running behind him.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Boet to be honest the current Bok team have a few that strike fear in me and notn any All Black or Wallaby as such. Pie Eater Januarie as a example, Dick Muir as our backline coach and I am also start losing it with Snor , picking NH players for the Bok team. I fear he is stubborn and keep on playing the same stock up to WC 2011 and not man enough to make the right changes.

The coaches are to blame for selecting Januarie, Olivier, JdV out of position and leave Aplon on the bench.

The are also to blame for the game plan. This conctant fucking kicking. We looked great wit hthe ball in hand at time.

Fuck I am mad. I can take losing but not losing dumb.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
. The Boks look pretty lifeless with ball in hand, but jeez the ABs are making some simple errors.
When Pienaar came on we started to look good.

The recycle is so slow with Januarie that no team can get got forward like that. The other problem is Olivier. He catches and passes and that's that. No decision making. Individuals look low on confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.