• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia II @ 5.10am 14/08

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
There is also another angle we could go, which is: this is probably our least important match of the year. We've won away in Argentina, we've kept the Puma's Nuts or whatever the trophy is. So, fuck it, give some game time to fringe members.

Start Tate, Vunivalu & Wilson. Give Valetini, White & Koroibete a rest. They're known quantities and will always deliver. Take Folau off at half time and put on Longeran. No one will remember if we lose this in a year by RWC time.

After Hooper's surprise resting, got me nervous and thinking we need to protect some of our guys a la McCaw, Carter & Sexton.
I wouldn't go this way - we don't want to go backwards and getting a bonus point win will be crucial in the context of the TRC

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
1 Slipper (C)
2 Fainga'a
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Swain
5 Phillip
6 Holloway
7 McReight
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Petaia
15 Wright

16 Lonergan
17 Gibbon
18 Tupou
19 Arnold
20 Leota
21 Samu
22 McDermott
23 Hodge

Rugby Head

Watty Friend (18)
1 Slipper (C)
2 Fainga'a
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Swain
5 Phillip
6 Holloway
7 McReight
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Lolesio
11 Koroibete
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Petaia
15 Wright

16 Lonergan
17 Gibbon
18 Tupou
19 Arnold
20 Leota
21 Samu
22 McDermott
23 Hodge

Only change I think is White to the bench and McDermott to start. The only 3 captain options are Slipper, AAA or White. None of them play the full 80, so one of AAA or White will need to be on the bench to takeover captaincy duties.

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
1 Slipper (C)
2 Fainga'a
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Swain
5 Arnold
6 Holloway
7 McReight
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Lolesio / JOC (James O'Connor) (if fully fit)
11 Koroibete
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Petaia
15 Wright

16 Lonergan
17 Gibbon
18 Tupou
19 Frost
20 Samu
21 McDermott
22 Hodge
23 Vunivalu

Time to get both Arnold and Vunivalu some decent minutes. Vunivalu could even start with Koro taking a well earned "rest" on the bench. If JOC (James O'Connor) is fully fit then I think he controls the game better than Lolesio and this would be the game to see if he is in contention for the fulltime 10 spot, not the games v NZ/SA.

The rest pretty much pick themselves. Could potentially do Leota/Phillip over Frost if you feel you need more physicality off the bench. I like what Frost brings to close out games.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I have a feeling McReight is going to have a blinder. He really picked up his game in the second half of last match, and I think there a lot less pressure on him to perform now, he should start the match in a really good head space.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
1 Slipper (C)
2 Fainga'a
3 Ala'alatoa
4 Swain
5 Arnold
6 Holloway
7 McReight
8 Valetini
9 White
10 Lolesio / JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) (if fully fit)
11 Koroibete
12 Paisami
13 Ikitau
14 Petaia
15 Wright

16 Lonergan
17 Gibbon
18 Tupou
19 Frost
20 Samu
21 McDermott
22 Hodge
23 Vunivalu

Time to get both Arnold and Vunivalu some decent minutes. Vunivalu could even start with Koro taking a well earned "rest" on the bench. If JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) is fully fit then I think he controls the game better than Lolesio and this would be the game to see if he is in contention for the fulltime 10 spot, not the games v NZ/SA.

The rest pretty much pick themselves. Could potentially do Leota/Phillip over Frost if you feel you need more physicality off the bench. I like what Frost brings to close out games.

Agree with the 5/3 bench - I think we need both a 9 and a 10 on the pine. I'd be starting Hodge at 10, he was better than serviceable last test. Let Lolo come on with 10-15 to go. JOC (James O'Connor) misses to Hodge at this stage I suspect. I don't see Tate getting the nod as I think Gordon has worked. Unless of course Rennie sees them as equal pegging and Gordon has been lucky.

The rest seems good, including Vunivalu.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There is also another angle we could go, which is: this is probably our least important match of the year. We've won away in Argentina, we've kept the Puma's Nuts or whatever the trophy is. So, fuck it, give some game time to fringe members.

Start Tate, Vunivalu & Wilson. Give Valetini, White & Koroibete a rest. They're known quantities and will always deliver. Take Folau off at half time and put on Longeran. No one will remember if we lose this in a year by RWC time.

After Hooper's surprise resting, got me nervous and thinking we need to protect some of our guys a la McCaw, Carter & Sexton.
I get the sentiment but given the determination to get a bonus point last weekend I doubt they are going to throw this game. I think they want to get some trophies in the cupboard, most importantly that RC one.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)

Nah - through injuries alone we've blooded enough people, time to claw back some of that win % and climb up the world rankings if we can bit by bit.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
I have a feeling McReight is going to have a blinder. He really picked up his game in the second half of last match, and I think there a lot less pressure on him to perform now, he should start the match in a really good head space.
Agree, I expect with the whole team with a high level of confidence if they are able to start well and play a full 80 minutes well then they should see another comfortable win

Derpus

George Gregan (70)

I want to see Vunivalu but otherwise first choice.

Namerican

Bill Watson (15)
Just want to say that I love how Hodge can go from like the 4th choice at any given position to the starting 10 in a matter of weeks. Dude is like a rugby zombie that can't be killed and will always end up in the lineup somehow.

I can't think of any current back that can legit play 10-15 at the same (so-so) level at the drop of a hat in test rugby. Maybe Jordie Barrett? I suppose JOC (James O'Connor) is kind of like this, but can't picture him on the wing these days.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Cooper’s problems were no where near the level of Latu.

Aside from the laptop thing, Cooper was pretty much just a general fuckwit from memory. And didn’t really have an on field reputation as a penalty magnet, moreso he did dumb shit that made his own supporters cry.

Latu has some serious issues off-field and has been dished more cards in the last 2 years than Cooper has in his career.
Cooper was also a victim of poor interpretation, I distinctly remember McCaw head butting him in the knee, it was reported differently

Maulalltheway

Ted Thorn (20)
Lonergan's name on the team sheet really sticks out to me. He is going to get destroyed by the Boks.
Despite his off-field issues, I wouldn't mind Latu back into the fold. Another genuine turn-over threat at the breakdown is just what our pack needs too.
and a red card every 3 games or so...

Purce

Jim Clark (26)
Agree with the 5/3 bench - I think we need both a 9 and a 10 on the pine. I'd be starting Hodge at 10, he was better than serviceable last test. Let Lolo come on with 10-15 to go. JOC (James O'Connor) (James O'Connor) misses to Hodge at this stage I suspect. I don't see Tate getting the nod as I think Gordon has worked. Unless of course Rennie sees them as equal pegging and Gordon has been lucky.

The rest seems good, including Vunivalu.

I just cannot get around Hodge being our starting 10. With out current injury toll I'm OK with him covering multiple positions on the bench but if he is the best we have at fly half then fuck me we are cooked.

I'd have both Lolesio and JOC (James O'Connor) starting at 10 over him. However I'd have him on the bench over either of them with one of the many talented outside backs on the bench.

Gordon v Tate is pretty level. I'd like to see Tate with more chances. Reckon he would go really well with the multiple legit ball runners we have in the pack now.

Status
Not open for further replies.