• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia Sun, 7/8/2022, 5:10 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Go to love rugby journalism in this country.

The value of the Australia A program will shine through again when McReight pulls on the No.7. He was controversially omitted from the Wallabies’ squad for the England series in July, and instead sent to play in the Pacific Nations Cup. The 23-year-old, who debuted in 2020 but has only won two caps, played in every game and re-joined the Wallabies squad for the Argentina trip with plenty of match fitness.

"Controversially omitted" despite in the same paragraph mentioning the "value" of the Aus A program that McReight went through instead. Also mentions he will now have plenty of match fitness whereas he'd have none if he was in the Wallabies squad for the England series. Not controversial at all.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Wasnt giving a shit about this matchup but now very curious to see how Mcreight goes.

Also from a Bledisloe reconnaisance viewpoint:

If Fozzie's still in charge:
benchvotewallabieslogo-1600839736915.png

If Fozzie's gone:

willy-wonka-and-the-chocolate-factory-willy-wonka.gif

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Anyway I know I a Hooper fan, but f*** me , kind of shows the stress these buggers are under doesn't it. I really hope that Hoops is ok, and I mean within himself, love to see him back on rugby field, but much rather know that he is doing ok!!!

Last edited:

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
You wonder how long Hooper has battled with this, and makes some sense of the sabbatical in Japan and stepping away from the Waratahs captaincy.
There is no doubt this guy gives his heart and soul to rugby, and it probably pretty much defines him. He has been under fairly intense scrutiny and criticism from parts of the rugby commentariat ever since the Link/Patson/Beale affair, which has never really gone away despite his subsequent achievements, hard to imagine this doesn't slowly chip away at your mental resilience. I really hope he gets all the help he needs and is able to get himself back into a good place, whether that involves rugby or not.

PhilClinton

John Hipwell (52)
Won’t even try and comprehend what Hoops is going through, shows the character of the bloke to speak up and do what is best for himself. Very admirable and I hope a message of positivity is spread from this, because he has lots of young players who look up to him.

wamberal99

Charlie Fox (21)
Wish Hooper all the best, however, depending on the length of his absence, this might just open the door for another Manly product, Langi Gleeson.

Yes!!! Manly has got a bit of a track record! Charlie Gamble is not from Manly, but he looks pretty handy, too.

Last edited:

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
It only confirms what a champion bloke Hoops is and Rennie is clearly a massive fan of the guy
Love all the positive chat and agree Hoops is a champion bloke nothing has been confirmed yet apart from the fact he is coming home.

Apologies just saw latest statement

Last edited:

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Really like the way that SMH have reported on this - very responsible and positive journalism.

I dread the reaction that will no doubt come from the “take a spoonful of cement and harden up” crowd.
They are bloody dopes and I think people now understand the issues and extent of mental illness in society. To acknowledge it in oneself is true courage in my opinion.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure what to make of the 'not in the right head space' let's hope it's not some deep psychological issue and just a passing thing.

Looking forward to seeing if McReight can improve our breakdown work, he and Holloway are a combination I'm keen on although would have preferred Holloway at 8 and Valetini at 6. I've been a big fan of McReight's for a while. I have him picked as a future captain of the Reds and if his form is good enough maybe Australia. Was a bit surprised as I expected Samu to start at 7.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Not sure what to make of the 'not in the right head space' let's hope it's not some deep psychological issue and just a passing thing.

Looking forward to seeing if McReight can improve our breakdown work, he and Holloway are a combination I'm keen on although would have preferred Holloway at 8 and Valetini at 6. I've been a big fan of McReight's for a while. I have him picked as a future captain of the Reds and if his form is good enough maybe Australia. Was a bit surprised as I expected Samu to start at 7.
out and out 7 in McReight vs Samu covers 6,7,8 not really that much of a surprise, although Pete probably would have wanted his shot at starting 7.

Just goes to show probably him and Hooper are starting 7 or not at all.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Every rugby supporter in Australia should be subscribed to Stan. It's cheaper than a test match ticket for ONE game.

The problem is the casual supporters but if you are a real supporter you should pay it. In my country I pay something like 12 bucks for our Stan
It's 25 bucks a month with sports. Some of us a hurting with the costs of living and don't have time to watch all the available content to make it a good deal. Not all rugby supporters are the stereotypical upper \middle classes.

Last edited:

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Samu got his shot last year v Wales and failed spectacularly imo.
What's your point, he's been class off the bench this year, and probably wanted a shot at 7... or in Qwerty's great opinion you only ever get one chance, and then you're tossed no matter how you play recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.