• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argentina v Australia Sun, 7/8/2022, 5:10 am

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
What's your point, he's been class off the bench this year, and probably wanted a shot at 7... or in Qwerty's great opinion you only ever get one chance, and then you're tossed no matter how you play recently?
I would have started him there for this test. I think his ability to play 6, 7, 8 is hurting him here. McReight on the bench doesn't make sense either, if he plays he probably needs to start.

Reactions: dru

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Viewership, ratings, advertising revenue, production costs…

People actually being awake to watch it.
Wallaby test matches in South or North America haven’t been on anti-siphoning list for over a decade now. Unless it’s a RWC
Until last year all Wallaby matches, anywhere in the world, in whatever time zone have been available for all Australians to have the opportunity to view and support. Ch7, Ch10, SBS in the last 10 to 20 years. Ch 9 already have the rights and the cameras on ground, extra production costs, zero. What does the extra advertising mean to them? There would be ads regardless. It just adds to the narrative of the game being elitist in this country. I guess us plebs will have to be happy with 3 minutes of highlights on in Instagram.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Until last year all Wallaby matches, anywhere in the world, in whatever time zone have been available for all Australians to have the opportunity to view and support. Ch7, Ch10, SBS in the last 10 to 20 years. Ch 9 already have the rights and the cameras on ground, extra production costs, zero. It just adds to the narrative of the game being elitist in this country. I guess us plebs will have to be happy with 3 minutes of highlights on in Instagram.

Nah there’s been an increasing number of Spring Tour matches haven’t been shown FTA, because they’re not on the anti-siphoning list. Test matches in South America haven’t been on the anti-siphoning list for over a decade.

As for the narrative of it being elitists, well none of the RLWC will be FTA. Likewise a number of Socceroo games in the past.

Anti-Siphoning list could shrink even further at the end of next year. The way we watch tv has changed drastically since the laws were brought in.

Last edited:

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Nah there’s been an increasing number of Spring Tour matches haven’t been shown FTA, because they’re not on the anti-siphoning list. Test matches in South America haven’t been on the anti-siphoning list for over a decade.

As for the narrative of it being elitists, well none of the RLWC will be FTA.
Adam, I've watched every game in Argentina since the rugby championship began with Gordon Bray and Matt Burke commentating on Ch10 . I don't believe I've ever seen a test from Nth America though. Last years spring tour was the first one ever I wasn't able to watch. I've been an avid viewer since the 80s. I've never subscribed to Fox. I had Stan but we have had to cut household costs recently. This is the first Argentinian tour since the Stan\9 deal.
Don't get me wrong, overall it's a good deal. I just strongly believe all tests should be available for all in society, not just the fortunate.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Adam, I've watched every game in Argentina since the rugby championship began with Gordon Bray and Matt Burke commentating on Ch10 . I don't believe I've ever seen a test from Nth America though. Last years spring tour was the first one ever I wasn't able to watch. I've been an avid viewer since the 80s. I've never subscribed to Fox. I had Stan but we have had to cut household costs recently. This is the first Argentinian tour since the Stan\9 deal.
Don't get me wrong, overall it's a good deal. I just strongly believe all tests should be available for all in society, not just the fortunate.
Penguin, Happy to be proven wrong, but I’m sure there were Spring Tour matches dating back to 2016 which weren’t broadcast FTA.

In either case I’m just pointing out that Wallabies test matches in South America are not on the anti-siphoning list and haven’t been for over a decade. South Africa and Spring Tour were removed around 6 years ago. It’s between RA and the Broadcaster as to whether those matches are FTA or not, and in the case of Spring Tour, it’s not even up to RA as they don’t sell them.

Last edited:

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Until last year all Wallaby matches, anywhere in the world, in whatever time zone have been available for all Australians to have the opportunity to view and support. Ch7, Ch10, SBS in the last 10 to 20 years. Ch 9 already have the rights and the cameras on ground, extra production costs, zero. What does the extra advertising mean to them? There would be ads regardless. It just adds to the narrative of the game being elitist in this country. I guess us plebs will have to be happy with 3 minutes of highlights on in Instagram.

What does advertising mean for a TV station?

It, er, pays for everything…

And technically, no, Nine don’t have cameras on the ground…

I’m sure they’ve done a cost analysis to find that they’re not going to be getting a significant amount more viewers watching on FTA to justify bumping whatever home shopping junk that pays for itself, and it is cheaper to stream it via the app then broadcast it on TV and everything that goes along with that, production costs etc.

Oracle83

Ron Walden (29)
Agree re having to pay for tests - especially for a team that we all love and support but whose efforts and effectiveness have not been up to scratch in my opinion exacerbates the issue - rugby can’t be the elite sport it doesn’t have the appeal it used to with all the hard to understand rules that exist. The younger generation I know play rugby but follow league with a much greater interest currently.

Marce

Jim Lenehan (48)
It's 25 bucks a month with sports. Some of us a hurting with the costs of living and don't have time to watch all the available content to make it a good deal. Not all rugby supporters are the stereotypical upper \middle classes.

Could u buy only the app for sports? In my country it's possible and I'm not Richie Rich neither

Last edited:

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I’m sure you could find it easily enough under the table if you tried. No doubt a replay will pop up on YT shortly after the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.