• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Argies in the 4N

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
For those who follow the Vodacom Cup in SA, don't forget that it was the Pampas XV team, a representative team of Argentinians amateurs that won the last edition without losing any game.
So I believe that despite the retirement (this year or soon) of Ledesma, Contepomi, Roncero, Scelzo etc... they still got depth to have a strong squad.
The only weakness to me is their coach Santiago Phelan that I don't really rate high.
Is your Avatar going to start in the QF or will Lievremont stick with Pickurnose ?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Is there any conflicting schedule problems for Argentinean players who compete outside of S15?
The Top14 always finishes last of the European comps and this season the Final is on 9/6/12; but I don't know when 4N will start.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I am looking forward to the Argies joining the competition. It will be good for World Rugby, it will be good for Argentina Rugby, and ultimately it will be good for Australian Rugby, as the Argies are extremely physical and play a different type of game to the Kiwis and Saffas, something the Wallabies need more of every year.
I am all aboard the Argie bargie, and hope like hell, they get over the Georgians and stick it to the Kiwis in the Quarters.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
Is your Avatar going to start in the QF or will Lievremont stick with Pickurnose ?

I hope he will!

Regarding the Argies playing in Europe, the IRB with the ERC has passed a law saying the players have to be available for national selection until september so no worries for them, the best players can play the Four Nations.
Agustin Pichot is trying to create a franchise based in Buenos Aires (or South Africa) that will compete in Super Rugby. If there is cash included, most of the players will remain in Argentina.
The top players like Leguizamon, Contepomi, Fernandez Lobbe etc... will keep going to play for strong European teams but I'm not sure guys playing in smaller clubs or even second division will find a financial interest in moving abroad if a professional franchise is created for the Argies.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Well considering the Quad nations has reached South America...How soon will the SH cartel (NZ, AUS, SAF & IRB) attempt to appeal to North America perhaps even expand to Five Nations since already in that neck of the woods why not a few more hours north.... Especially the mouthwatering-walletbusting financial outlook this merger could indeed bring in.... The march towards America has began in earnest....

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
Considering the Islanders & Japanese arent even considered, I thought perhaps a SH style 'UEFA Euro Cup' in the interim btw RWC that includes Quad nations & Pacific Nations cup also held rotatingly by the various participating countries... As much as Im enthralled by 4 years of Tri/Quad Nats and Bledisloe matches til the next RWC another SH specific tournament 2 years out would serve the big cup withdrawal symptoms...

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I hope he will!

Regarding the Argies playing in Europe, the IRB with the ERC has passed a law saying the players have to be available for national selection until september so no worries for them, the best players can play the Four Nations.
Agustin Pichot is trying to create a franchise based in Buenos Aires (or South Africa) that will compete in Super Rugby. If there is cash included, most of the players will remain in Argentina.
The top players like Leguizamon, Contepomi, Fernandez Lobbe etc... will keep going to play for strong European teams but I'm not sure guys playing in smaller clubs or even second division will find a financial interest in moving abroad if a professional franchise is created for the Argies.
I hope Pichot succeeds. On other subject, if he doesn't pick Harinordiquy I can see the English beating you fellas. If he isn't picked it will have a terrible affect on French morale surely, best no 8 in the world for me but is he popular within the french squad?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
One thing that sticks out from this RWC is the need to look closer at touring schedules. Some of the minnows are on the verge of breaking into a higher standard of rugby and I can't help feel the larger nations have a duty of care to the game than to help facilitate more games for these nations. USA and Canada must become involved in the pacific nations and it would also be of benifit if the Southern Hemisphere nations played these two teams on their way to Europe as part of their EOYT's. The other optionms is for the SH sides to make thier way to Western Europe via Japan and Eastern Europe. Rather than playing the Dirt trackers against a Europian club, play one of the Europian minnow nations. There are some logistical issues to consider but it is worth making the effort to find a solution.

P

potogold

just look at italy. they used to be the whipping boys, the ones teams ran their practice moves on. and now look at them, they seriously get so much better every year, and this years six nations proves it. they got a few pro teams in the magners league.

it can only benefit the pumas and rugby to have them in a proper tournament. hernandez and contepomi are their best exports so far.

P

potogold

i like hernandez, he is a freak, too bad hes injured

[video=youtube;SYF4VuVkyhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYF4VuVkyhY[/video]

SuperGrover

Darby Loudon (17)
I thought a condition of SANZAR agreeing to admit Argentina was that the IRB would amend the requisite clause(s) to ensure that all Argentinian players would have to be released by their European clubs?

triplet

Allen Oxlade (6)
Think the tri nations should be looking to try and bring the Islanders on board as well. NH has brought Italy in at 6nations and club level, any chance Argetinian teams would be able to join S15? Reason I ask is that majority of the Argies play in Europe at the moment and can't see them forgoing the lucre to be pulverised week in week out in the Quad nations. That is the problem with the scheme, player wages in Europe are so high can't see the Argentinian players being up for it.
A Mixed Islander team would be great but alas they'll never have the money. I heard a good suggestion some years ago : If every ticket sold in the Tri-Nations each year had a $1 or $2 levy added into the price that would go toward establishing and underpinning an Islander side I don't think many real Rugby punters would whinge

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I think the most positive thing that will come of this is that in the case of Australia this will seriously improve our scrum with yearly test's against the best.

A

Army_Gav

I thought a condition of SANZAR agreeing to admit Argentina was that the IRB would amend the requisite clause(s) to ensure that all Argentinian players would have to be released by their European clubs?
Your correct, changes were made last year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
What I would like to see occur is for each and every Super Rugby squad to make room for 3 or so Argentine player's. Make so they don't count as marquee. Would add some real 'flavour' to the competition as well as allow Argentine player's to adapt to SH Rugby much quicker than plying their trade in Europe. It would also be part of proactive planning for when the first Argentine Super Rugby squad comes online as they will anywhere to 45 player's waiting in the wings to fill the roster. Once they have vacated these they could be filled with either more young Argentine's or players from other nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.