• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree to a point

WA clearly had size , athletic and talent advantage but for what is effectively a State Team their decision making just wasn't consistently good enough

They should have easily put another 20 points on

Credit to Gold ( again to a point ) for fighting hard and showing their trademark grit and determination and had they made their last conversion there is a try in it with 6 or 7 minutes to play ( which in the remaining period ) WA had a decent passage and crashed over to put it beyond doubt.

Funny team Gold.

Their set pieces in the games I saw of them didn't really come together ...they weren't especiially dominant at the breakdown ..or have massive consistent power to punch the line ..( good occasional efforts here and there ) but they still found a way to get it done and managed to find a collective doggedness to hang around in games

Well done on a good campaign Gold - and all QLD Teams for that matter . It should set all the boys up well for strong School and Club seasons

100% Right GO, at times it looked Monty Python like, It might be fair to note although this Tuesday game was a surprise to both teams it definitely would have to benefit WA who basically had another 2 days of footy camp, trainings, team talks etc., while gold had planned to train Wednesday & players attended School as normal Monday, Tuesday. WA’s 10 days to eat, sleep, play footy compared with Gold 1 game & 2 trainings in the last 14 days.

Before we bring up the 6 games in 10 days it might be also fair to note some gold players had Met North/West trials Tuesday, which involved 4 or 5 games Tuesday before the Semi Final at 7pm.
Before we question their loyalty to the team etc. we must remember JGC is only a pathway & their choices to do these other events were made well before Sunday (when the dates were changed). Choose not to attend these events after selection can cost any future participation at rep school level in any sport.

I think it will be fairly predictable - probably half absolutely legit and half people will scratch their heads and bitch about

The one thing I would hope for is that Rugby players get picked or young guys that have played League and have made a demonstrable commitment to Rugby moving forward .

This is the problem with Rugby Talent ID / Pathway Guys ...they kid themselves that they can stay in the hearts and minds game with League kids / families who may not be in tournaments like this for the right reasons

Due Diligence isn't just about watching a few games - if we're going to get excellence right in our Pathways program , Development personnel and Selectors need to do the right background checks and make a call whether kid and family actually truly gives a shit about the game and are committed to their Rugby .

Anyone think League puts up with this "we'll let you know" type attitude in how they run Junior Development ?

Isn't like 6 of the top GPS contracted to league clubs? or more?

Isn't a Rep Selection about being the best?

isn't paying $960 to do a pathway enough to say they are interested about playing Union?

or do you think they pay the $960 for the training so they can take that back to league?
league pay players to attend their programs as where looks like the players are paying there own way for this pathway so come on peeps be fair.

There isn't an us an them, now days you can play both, Rugby take some top League stars & League take Rugby stars.

Many on the road to gold have played both.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ my shit stirring pal , Lute

I do believe you are talking out of your ass . Check the facts m'man.

Also as to your hyperbolic "there won't be any anyone left" mantra ............I do believe I have been consistent in espousing a "less is more" philosophy

Prince Henry

Fred Wood (13)
Also ...QLD will be cobbled together whereas WA , ACT and Victoria have been preparing for a long time.

Personally , I think the talent is spread too think in South East QLD and likely in greater Metro Sydney - The Game's Power Bases - all for the sake of say $100K in take ( 2 x teams too many in SEQ and Greater Metro Sydney ) against $50K in cost delivery for a $50K notional profit

Is $50K really worth it to the ARU at the expense of diluting the quality of your pathway offering ?
Are you suggesting less teams from Brisbane solves that dilution?

Or should more talent be encouraged to play JGC? My sense is that there were a number of boys who chose NOT to participate. Subsequently, there were also boys chosen who had no choice about their level of participation because of the 13 man bench and the philosophy of certain win at all cost coaches. Coaches who, ironically, did not make the semis with this approach.

I'm not close to it but these perceptions from afar I take from the various comments made on this thread since January.

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
My understanding is that the JGC is about improving the skill set of the talent involved. The QRU casts the net pretty wide for the u15s, but are more circumspect for the u17s as they have the QLD U16 and U18 training squads that involve some 40 kids in each age group. More the merrier I say for the u15s as they are entering that growth phase of their life and you just don't know how the kids are going to develop

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@Go

What do you mean by "in this program for the wrong reason's"

Reasons that if one delves , may find out that is a lack off sincerity

For example , achieving in one code and using this leverage to make another code pay a bit more attention to you ( which is what you wanted and where you wanted to be in the first place )

Don't kid yourself that this doesn't happen . I know it does and I'll leave it at that.

My original post on the matter was a simple point about doing proper due diligence on players in the talent ID pathway process that can get to the bottom of these issues where a call can be made.

There is a cost to talent ID and pathway development - for the overall good of the game , it is not unreasonable to expect improvement toward a goal of excellence in order to get it right.

For what it's worth, for the GPS Schools , Strive for Greatness refers to that target / covet league players. This is changing . And fast. At most ports of call.

Not saying that League players will not be coveted and brought on board in their systems moving forward - but the blind ass kissing is over and pandering toward individual agenda is so 2 years ago

Opportunity , more and more is trending toward making a choice , commitment and restriction on what schools determine are " non core" activities

Argue if you like - but it's a fact

Lute

Chris McKivat (8)
Reasons that if one delves , may find out that is a lack off sincerity

For example , achieving in one code and using this leverage to make another code pay a bit more attention to you ( which is what you wanted and where you wanted to be in the first place )

Don't kid yourself that this doesn't happen . I know it does and I'll leave it at that.

My original post on the matter was a simple point about doing proper due diligence on players in the talent ID pathway process that can get to the bottom of these issues where a call can be made.

There is a cost to talent ID and pathway development - for the overall good of the game , it is not unreasonable to expect improvement toward a goal of excellence in order to get it right.

For what it's worth, for the GPS Schools , Strive for Greatness refers to that target / covet league players. This is changing . And fast. At most ports of call.

Not saying that League players will not be coveted and brought on board in their systems moving forward - but the blind ass kissing is over and pandering toward individual agenda is so 2 years ago

Opportunity , more and more is trending toward making a choice , commitment and restriction on what schools determine are " non core" activities

Argue if you like - but it's a fact
Of course GO, what ever you say is fact!,because YOU said it.

Christian Cullen

Stan Wickham (3)
I thought JGC was only a pathway to Gold?

If You were to invest in anyone of these players right now! I'm sure they would love to commit to the gold Jersey.

Don't kid yourself (GO) no matter how much you are committed on making that Gold Jersey, if they think your not good enough they will cut you like that, It's a Business.

They do vet every player before Joining them up to JGC I thought any way?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I thought JGC was only a pathway to Gold?

If You were to invest in anyone of these players right now! I'm sure they would love to commit to the gold Jersey.

Don't kid yourself (GO) no matter how much you are committed on making that Gold Jersey, if they think your not good enough they will cut you like that, It's a Business.
And that's the way it should be

I just don't know that Rugby is as good at running its business as to what League is

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe the 14 year olds should wait another year and teams capped at 22,should more players be needed they pay pro rata.
The 13/14 year olds weren't a big factor in swelled numbers across the Greater Metro Brisbane Teams

Around 10% of participants ( IE 14 ) with 50% to 60% having a " hold your own" status

50% ( approx ) again were preferred starters - that's 3 or 4 kids

Like Old Red said if you are good enough you are old enough

Stripes

Chris McKivat (8)
Does anyone know if the QLD squads have been announced? Or when they will be announced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does anyone know if the QLD squads have been announced? Or when they will be announced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should be announced late this week maybe early next as I believe it's being played over Easter.
From what I hear out of one teams manager, all that ARU testing and game form means very little, it was pretty much predetermined beforehand, the only hiccup is a couple of injuries to players.

Realist

Chris McKivat (8)
Should be announced late this week maybe early next as I believe it's being played over Easter.
From what I hear out of one teams manager, all that ARU testing and game form means very little, it was pretty much predetermined beforehand, the only hiccup is a couple of injuries to players.

Well if you what you say is true it makes a joke out of the whole thing.

I am sure the kids that were involved got a lot out of it, just don't let them hear the above comment (if true), takes a lot of incentive out of trying to reach their goals.

Stan Walker 33

Frank Row (1)
The 13/14 year olds weren't a big factor in swelled numbers across the Greater Metro Brisbane Teams

Around 10% of participants ( IE 14 ) with 50% to 60% having a " hold your own" status

50% ( approx ) again were preferred starters - that's 3 or 4 kids

Like Old Red said if you are good enough you are old enough

just keep telling yourself that, if it helps you sleep at night

Status
Not open for further replies.