• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dingasden

Ward Prentice (10)
Seems to be a lot of negativity towards SJRU 16s but should be noted although they lost their 3 games it was by a combined total of only 7 points & i think losing by 3 to NSW was a fair effort compared to the Rams loss. Not sure if the teams changed much from Game 1 to Game 3 but seem to be some big turnarounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
Its not the team that is the issue, good luck to the boys they tried hard all weekend, I fairly sure its the process of selection that people have issue with, I know for one I do. it was great to see plenty of boys get opportunities they never would have had under the old National 16 program.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I've heard a couple of things about the JGC over the weekend that makes me think that the reason there are no coaches for a number of centres is that they haven't had anyone apply and they are looking high and low for people who can assist. I'm also hearing they didn't send the incumbent coaches, S&C's an email asking them to apply again or even a link to the application form, so a number of them have walked away frustrated by the process and lack of communication.

That fits.
I was told that they hadn't been named because they weren't sure they could commit.
The case for making this the responsibility of the NRC JV's gets stronger by the hour.

The Incredible Plan

Herbert Moran (7)
I was told second hand that the coaches for the sydney zones had been selected and had been appointed subject to the individuals confirming that they would be available and present for the required training sessions and matches. nSWru apparently seeking to avoid some of the stuff ups of last year such as a forwards coach only showing up for one session before heading overseas, a manager who was so absent/inept that the coach ended up administering the team as well as coaching, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
I hear the trials will be skills then 2 hours of 7's played cross field. Tough trial for the forwards, but it does show what you attitude is like.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
This from an email just circulated:
Stage 1 – Trial Stage
Stage 1 will run during the months of September and October, and is the trial stage. To trial for a centre players
pay a registration fee of $10* that will cover administration costs and logistics around each trial. Players should
register for the centre that they live closes to. Players selected post-trials will move on to Stage 2. However, in
Sydney for selection into Stage 2 players maybe selected for a team that they did not register for.
If players are injured during the time of the trials but would like to be considered, they must still register and
turn up to the trial. For those players who have been selected for the U16 Sydney Juniors, NSW Schools and
Country Juniors, they are required to register and attend the trials but the trial fee will be waived.
*Trial fees once registered are non-refundable.Stage 2 – Development Stage
Stage 2 is the Development Stage of the program and will run for approximately seven (7) weeks in November
and December. A maximum Development squad of 40 players per team will be selected from Stage 1 trialists.
Players will be required to either attend weekly sessions or training camps depending on the NSWJG centres
location.
Player levies for this Stage will be set at $155.00# and covers such costs as basic apparel, administration, elite
coaching, logistics etc. Each player selected for this stage will receive a training singlet, training shorts and a
NSWJG cap. From these 40 Development players, a Competition squad will be selected.
Stage 3 – Competition Stage
The Competition stage runs during January to March, with the JGC being played from the 8th February until the
end of March. Twenty five (25) players will be selected in Stage 3 and will come from Stage 2 players. Anyone
who is injured during this time can be replaced by Stage 2 players.
Players in this stage will receive, training tee, training shorts, polo shirt, hoodie, backpack and their playing
apparel, jersey, shorts and socks. Player levies for this stage will come to $495.00# and go towards, team travel
logistics, apparel, administration, general team logistics, elite coaching etc.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
$495+$155+10 = $660. No increase in costs from last year, although not everyone will be paying for Filet Mignon and receiving an overcooked Rump Steak off the BBQ cooked by a fat Bricklayer called Robert.

Impressive that the Pulveriser has been able to keep costs down.

Does this mean that the $200 levy for eight 5 year old kids to play 30 minutes of touch footy on 1/4 of a field for 14 weeks is here to stay as well?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Interesting that they have differentiated between the development phase and the competition phase. There was some criticism last year that some of the 25 players in that final competition phase received minimal game time.

In contrast, the Northern Rays NRC seem to be rotating everyone through the squad, regardless of the effect that this has on the win/loss/draw ratio. You'd have thought that the JGC would be the ones doing this:confused:.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
$155 gets you a full season (14 + games) of Village club rugby at most clubs.

Not forgetting the 1/somethingth (team numner dependent) of the $200 team levy imposed by ARU to keep the ARU Boardroom's wine cellar stocked.

S'UP

Bill Watson (15)
$155 for 7 weeks, $50 worth of clothing, zero for the elite coaching (as everyone donates their time don't they?) So what does the $105 get you grounds? I still think it works well for those boys that miss the cut from stage 2 to 3 but they better be getting skill development coaching and not 7 sessions of S&C. I'm still not convinced that the $660 is a fair price but at least kids won't have paid $660 to sit on the bench.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ His dance card is marked. Old Sydneian and all that. Rubs shoulders (inside ones) with the heavy hitters of Sydney's Rugby Underworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.