• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delphy

Ward Prentice (10)
while the JGC is about opportunity as much as competition I think a more competitive U17s will do a lot more for their development than keeping all the current centres going. If we ever a u19s/20s age group they should take it further to effectively mimic the NRC. A pyramid with a wider base will ensure ever increasing levels of competition.

U20's is going to be mimicking Super Rugby rather than NRC in 2016. Each franchise will field a team over 4 matches in February/March, before the Australian U20 squad selection in April.

Maybe we can have an U19's JGC as a lead into U20's (in a distant and more prosperous future).

On JGC, I don't necessarily disagree with idea of reducing the number of centres to ensure both opportunity and development. It's obviously difficult to develop when you aren't at least competitive.

I do wonder whether the changes achieve that though. They have combined Hunter and Central Coast, who were both reasonably successful, but have left Central NSW (whose only wins came over Illawarra) unchanged in terms of catchment.

Sydney at 2.5 teams per age group just seems too "light on" for mine.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^ Yeah but only having to dilute the talent in Sydney Metro by 2.5 means that we will win, or at least have a much better chance at it, and in doing so we can keep you folk in the provinces and outstations in your right place.

How dare you win stuff? Don't you know the rules and protocols?

Sadly some kids in Sydney Metro and NSW will miss out on development opportunities, while the talented will become more talented and their trinket collection will be enlarged.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So the NSW Realignment for U17 sees some square pegging into round holes.

I can understand the geographic constraints behind the Junior Club, District/Zone, and Province/Met Area groupings, but then they are superimposing a NRC franchises layer over the top which is not geographically linked to the previous structures.

North Harbour Rays picks up Randwick, Easts and Sydney Uni catchments. The former two are "associated" with Eagles, and the latter is the Stars.
Camperdown based Sydney Stars pick up Central Coast and Newcastle/Hunter with no link to anywhere in the Sydney Metro area. I'll bet the locals like that.
Rams pick up the Illawarra.
Eagles lose the rich player catchments of the Illawarra, Central Coast and Newcastle/Hunter.

The Four NRC franchises will have 6 teams, with Eagles having an Eagles North, and an Eagles West squad which seem to be totally independent of each other, and similarly Rams will have independent Rams West and Rams South squads.

It kind of makes sense and yet it doesn't, all at the same time.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Looks like a typical rebranding: the trains still wont run on time.
The met east team will be a nightmare for at least half its members: driving across the harbour to get to training a couple of time a week

AussieJuniorRugby

Bob McCowan (2)
Will the remodelling of the NSW JGC U17's result in the development and exposure of higher quality players? or will it not because of boys not participating as a result of school rugby/league etc. ?

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
Perhaps it will work even better due to the ones from school not participating.

Kids from outside the schools will get looked at. It will widen the pool.

Filipo Levi

Bob McCowan (2)
Filipo Levi said:
Great thanks for the heads up.A friend of mine who's boy is taking part, was surprised by how many "Selected" boys do not play Union at all and did not participate in the JGC this year, so I was just wondering what the criteria actually was in fact he tells me some good players who did play JGC this year missed out on taking part, that's how it goes I guess. Anyone know anymore about this as it sounds like something my son might be interested in if hes selected in JGC this year​
Well that's totally wrong if they have done that, Why set rules or policies for selection then break them?
Makes sense why they didn't announce the squad on their web or Facebook, they know it would piss people off.

Here is there post from March.
Reds Under-15 and Under-17 squads have been selected by Reds Elite Development staff following the culmination of the 2015 Junior Gold Cup round-robin stages.

Both sides will play NSW on Saturday, 4 April, at Ballymore on the Easter long weekend.

The squads consist of 23-players and criteria for selection was that players participated in the 2015 Junior Gold Cup as a member of one of the Queensland sides.

Outside of the squads of 23, players will also be identified for an Emerging Reds camp in September.

And sorry guys Yer, should be in Gold cup forum.
Will post any more info there.

Filipo Levi

Bob McCowan (2)
Seems like its a case of who you know and league boys being preferred over Union boys in the "Emerging Reds" program just completed.

Speaking to some parents it seems like boys not even involved in JGC got to take part and a lot of league boys were invited to take part even though they played no part in JGC - If the reds are running a development program they need to look at their set of selection criteria (Above) and abide by it. As I now know of some frustrated boys/parents

A parent who took part told me that in one case a boy that was cut from the JGC program and deemed not good enough by the REDS Dev officers got invited ahead of other boys that were selected in JGC teams and played.. this boy is a league boy..."that must be some kind of joke" was the comment?

I guess its no wonder the lists weren't posted anywhere to save embarrassment....

Transparency and adhering to "your own" selection criteria is all parents and boys can ask for...

Come on T. B and L.P get your Sh&*T together stop selecting the boys you coach at your schools ahead of boys that took part in the program" was another parent comment...

Very sad if this is what going on in Qld junior football

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
Seems like its a case of who you know and league boys being preferred over Union boys in the "Emerging Reds" program just completed.

Speaking to some parents it seems like boys not even involved in JGC got to take part and a lot of league boys were invited to take part even though they played no part in JGC - If the reds are running a development program they need to look at their set of selection criteria (Above) and abide by it. As I now know of some frustrated boys/parents

A parent who took part told me that in one case a boy that was cut from the JGC program and deemed not good enough by the REDS Dev officers got invited ahead of other boys that were selected in JGC teams and played.. this boy is a league boy."that must be some kind of joke" was the comment?

I guess its no wonder the lists weren't posted anywhere to save embarrassment..

Transparency and adhering to "your own" selection criteria is all parents and boys can ask for.

Come on T. B and L.P get your Sh&*T together stop selecting the boys you coach at your schools ahead of boys that took part in the program" was another parent comment.

Your not alone in QLD from this earlier post #315 in NSW junior championships seems there are similar concerns

Is the JGC going to continue with the policy of allowing players from other codes to come in and play then go back to their chosen sport? Bloody disgraceful.

Then there's the $660 for the privilege of being selected. The original concept was brought about to
1. Have a pathway similar to leagues Harold Mats and SG Ball which is FREE
2. To increase player numbers in clubs as selected players were meant to register and play with their nearest club.

Pardon the pun BUT Junior Gold administration.. You've dropped the ball

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)

Speaking to some parents it seems like boys not even involved in JGC got to take part and a lot of league boys were invited to take part even though they played no part in JGC - (Above) and abide by it. ...................

..........I guess its no wonder the lists weren't posted anywhere to save embarrassment..

Transparency and adhering to "your own" selection criteria is all parents and boys can ask for.

Come on T. B and L.P get your Sh&*T together stop selecting the boys you coach at your schools ahead of boys that took part in the program" was another parent comment.

I think you got the wrong end of the stick, the reds U15 and U17 earlier in the year were definitely picked from the JGC.
If you read the criteria for the emerging camp it doesn't say the additional participants will be made up from the JGC at all but from outside the original 23. Which could be school, JGC, or anything else if they thought the kid had talent. The camp would of had between 50 and 60 boys attending, so between this, club and school the powers that be have a pretty good idea of who's running around or there abouts.

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think you got the wrong end of the stick, the reds U15 and U17 earlier in the year were definitely picked from the JGC.
If you read the criteria for the emerging camp it doesn't say the additional participants will be made up from the JGC at all but from outside the original 23. Which could be school, JGC, or anything else if they thought the kid had talent. The camp would of had between 50 and 60 boys attending, so between this, club and school the powers that be have a pretty good idea of who's running around or there abouts.
Umm yes it did mate, and Qld have dropped the ball and bent their own rules.
The selections for both team and emerging Reds was to be made during the tournament and consist of they boys who "PLAYED" in the Gold Cup.
Once again they are making a joke of the whole thing, and why would you bother paying the $600 odd dollars to play Gold Cup and then sit by and watch boys get selected who didn't play let alone pay $1 to be there, not like all the boys who did?

Oldschool

Jim Clark (26)
Umm yes it did mate, and Qld have dropped the ball and bent their own rules.
The selections for both team and emerging Reds was to be made during the tournament and consist of they boys who "PLAYED" in the Gold Cup.
Once again they are making a joke of the whole thing, and why would you bother paying the $600 odd dollars to play Gold Cup and then sit by and watch boys get selected who didn't play let alone pay $1 to be there, not like all the boys who did?
So what you're saying is that you can buy a Queensland jumper? Now that sounds like a joke.

Old Red

Allen Oxlade (6)
So what you're saying is that you can buy a Queensland jumper? Now that sounds like a joke.
Your kidding right!
You think that you have no idea, the boys who selected and played Gold Cup are not buying a guernsey, they by trialing, getting selected in a team and playing the tournament are entitled to be selected by the Rules set by Qld.
If you didn't trial or get selected in a team, by the Qld rules you are not entitled to be selected. Full stop
How hard is that to understand.....
Obviously from what's coming out of the parents at the development camp is that a lot of boys are there who didn't make or trial for Gold cup and got a invite.
Wrong or right, The Reds have allowed the rules to be bent.
Now let's see if those boys now all trail and make Gold Cup this year, that will be interesting indeed if boys who made this camp don't show up or miss selection.
I know 2 boys who missed out on making a Gold cup team last year who made the Reds development camp.
So what does that say about the situation?

Filipo Levi

Bob McCowan (2)
Your kidding right!
You think that you have no idea, the boys who selected and played Gold Cup are not buying a guernsey, they by trialing, getting selected in a team and playing the tournament are entitled to be selected by the Rules set by Qld.
If you didn't trial or get selected in a team, by the Qld rules you are not entitled to be selected. Full stop
How hard is that to understand...
Obviously from what's coming out of the parents at the development camp is that a lot of boys are there who didn't make or trial for Gold cup and got a invite.
Wrong or right, The Reds have allowed the rules to be bent.
Now let's see if those boys now all trail and make Gold Cup this year, that will be interesting indeed if boys who made this camp don't show up or miss selection.
I know 2 boys who missed out on making a Gold cup team last year who made the Reds development camp.
So what does that say about the situation?

That's funny I have been told of at least 6 who did not play JGC, yes at least 3 trialled but were deemed not good enough to play JGC, the other 3 have come from the other code - yet they are the in REDS dev team, that just doesn't seem right.
It seems like the "investment" both the reds and the boys selected in the JGC program is not being followed through, the QRU for some reason have opted to invite (Reward) boys who are non committal to our game or reward boys that were not initially selected in the JGC, that again just doesn't make any sense. I believe the D.Os just invited boys they were famliar with through the schools they were associated with.
I Agree with Old red in that someone loses out here - either the boys that missed selection in the emerging reds could now be lost to the program, why would they come back after being treated unfairly, and the boys who choose rugby as a second sport or a sport where they just just collect another rep jersey may or may not be back if they make CC cup or MM cup.. QRU needs to be loyal to those that commit to the program and our great game or they might be lost, they need to develop what they have available first and foremost.

redblack

Larry Dwyer (12)
^^^
In reading through these schoolboys forums it appears that making a Harold Matts or SG Ball squad is like a badge of honour, however experience shows us that like local rep rugby sides a few may make it to the top. Those who are in the top bracket are usually barred from playing union and can only play league and those who are not as well thought of or may fail a "test" tend to try other options. The sad reality is that they then take the place of committed Rugby Union players , do not play in the local competition and soon find that the committed Union players leave the sport as well. There is no easy fix to this other than the Area co-ordinators showing some integrity and loyalty to those who are loyal to the sport.

Filipo Levi

Bob McCowan (2)

Read it again - ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.