• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

BraveandGame

Bob Loudon (25)
The only things I would say from a Queensland perspective is that the Gold Cup doesn't interfere or take kids out of Clubs as he suggests ,

To be fair I think he was specifically referring to the Under 20's taking players out of the clubs not JGC.

But yes he absolutely nailed the current state of Rugby in Australia.

BAG

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Running over the current ladder for JGC and pool C looks is so close, with the 2 brissy teams and Ippy fighting it out for that top spot.
But I just noticed the big guns in pool D are about to run into each other, Logan, G Coast, Brissy and WA. Should be some great games in the next couple of weeks, any thoughts on pool D?

redredred

Bob McCowan (2)
Seems to be very focused on the 15's in this forum. Just an interesting observation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Seems to be very focused on the 15's in this forum. Just an interesting observation.

I think the 17's being only 1 team this year has made it a little quieter on their front, I have been watching their results and seen them at training, I do recognize a couple of boys from last years 15 in there. No?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm calling White from Pool D and Gold from Pool C

The winner of Gold v Blue on Sunday will likely determine Pool C and maybe not in the most just way.

Pool C

If Gold beat Blue and Ipswich beat Sunshine Coast by more than 15 (likely) than Gold and Ipswich will finish on equal points on the top of the table , yet, Gold will go through to the Semi Final because they won the pool match against Ipswich ( by 1 point and with Ipswich controlling nearly two thirds of territory and possession for the game - yes, that is Ipswich's fault that they didn't move the ball as they should have , and no despite the pluck of Gold's D , it was more a function of hero "O" and off key ball movement when it was too late )

Gold simply have more depth than Blue that rely on too few. It is extremely unlikely that Gold do Blue by more than 15 ( or vice versa ) and so Pool C , IMO , will finish with Gold and Ipswich tied - with Gold to go through

Blue have to win each of their last 2 x games to win the division outright - even though they will have 1 x loss , the same as Ipswich ( presuming Ipswich beat Sunshine Coast ) and notwithstanding the fact that Ipswich beat them - they will go through by having 1 x extra bonus point given that they have lost by 7 and under and won by 3 tries or more ( 15 points minimum ) - 2 times

In terms of the Bonus Points , I note with interest , that other teams in the Pool had to take on NQ in FNQ on a day trip and in stinking hot/humid conditions that included players fainting , yet , Gold and Blue had NQ in the cool of early evening at Ballymore . Yes , Gold were ambushed in the first game of NQ's road trip - but Blue got them delivered on a plate on the 3rd game in 3 days and got the win and the bonus point

Hmmmmm.

The only chances Ipswich have of going through to the Semi is if

A : Blue win on Sunday but lose the following week to the Darling Downs
B. This Sunday's result between Blue and Gold is a Tie.

Pool D

With 2 x losses I don't think Logan can go through and I think White will knock them out of the running in their match up tonight - White simply have too much class and depth. The only real question mark I have on White is whether they have enough gas in the outside backs against the top end of the competition

I can't see WA winning 4 games out of 5 in such a concentrated period

So it's going to come down to White and Gold Coast and I'd give it to White - although I'd expect it to be pretty close

White v Gold in the Semi Final match up in 2 weeks

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Pool D

I can't see WA winning 4 games out of 5 in such a concentrated period

That's what people thought last year, and they won 4 from 4 on the road.

Pool D

Gold Coast 5
Western Australia 19

Logan 7
Western Australia 21

North Coast 8
Western Australia 41

Brisbane Orange 14
Western Australia 30

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Hard comparing year on year for the obvious reasons - and I will indeed eat my words with a side order of turd if WA win out

I just think the odds are against them

And I know full well the talent that is there being well familiar with the Jayden Ngamanu and The Raoren brothers having being big factors in GPS Rugby

But if they have 2 or 3 genuine game winners in this year's crop ( like the aforementioned , well then yeah , anything is possible

Willie-John McBride

Herbert Moran (7)
Hard comparing year on year for the obvious reasons - and I will indeed eat my words with a side order of turd if WA win out

I just think the odds are against them

And I know full well the talent that is there being well familiar with the Jayden Ngamanu and The Raoren brothers having being big factors in GPS Rugby

But if they have 2 or 3 genuine game winners in this year's crop ( like the aforementioned , well then yeah , anything is possible

I believe WA are best placed for Pool D - They have had a long Prep and a few trial games, they have known this tour was coming for months now and would have planned accordingly and carry two strong squads.

redredred

Bob McCowan (2)
I think the 17's being only 1 team this year has made it a little quieter on their front, I have been watching their results and seen them at training, I do recognize a couple of boys from last years 15 in there. No?

Yes Sunny I do believe there are a few lads from last year. A few of the Emerging Reds boys having a run. Understand the one Brissy team thing though.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Lots of subs in the 2nd half resulted in a loss of flow. But 1st half was a good watch with White looking very impressive.
Yes they were very slick indeed and pulled off some great moves, they look good, their only downside really was their scrum.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
Going over White V logan is very hard to get a clear picture of White, Logan already with a couple out due to injury and then they lost their classy fullback with a shoulder injury in the first half are nowhere near their best.
White on the other hand are basically at full strength and looking very well placed, but I doubt they have really been tested yet and the Coast is going to just do that.
From what I saw from White, they will match up well against the Coast across most areas, if anything they are very light up front and at one stage had a very small pack on and logan had total control of the scrum, they can't afford to give the Coast an advantage like that, so for this reason I think Whites run will come to an end.

Mr_Trash

Stan Wickham (3)
I heard the GC only beat CQ 19-12 last night at home. I'd be interested to see if they played their perceived weaker team to save them for tomorrow's game, as if have thought they'd have done a lot better than that

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
I heard the GC only beat CQ 19-12 last night at home. I'd be interested to see if they played their perceived weaker team to save them for tomorrow's game, as if have thought they'd have done a lot better than that
Yer that was the score, heard they rested some players, they have a little luxury of seeing how the results fell and I'm sure their coaching staff identified White as a major threat tomorrow and are preparing for a big game.

Tashara

Larry Dwyer (12)
Going over White V logan is very hard to get a clear picture of White, Logan already with a couple out due to injury and then they lost their classy fullback with a shoulder injury in the first half are nowhere near their best.
White on the other hand are basically at full strength and looking very well placed, but I doubt they have really been tested yet and the Coast is going to just do that.
Sonny, I hear what you're saying. The White backs looked great and taking nothing away from them but Logan failed to move up in defense. This gave the White backs lots of space to move in attack - and they certainly capitalized on it.

White wont have the luxury of lack of line speed from their opposition in their coming games, but that by no means doesn't mean they wont be up to the task. One thing I did like about the White backs which I believe is lacking in the other Qld teams (games I've seen anyway) is their ability to move the ball. It's clear they set their 7 & 8 up mid field for offensive running attacks, but they don't over rely on them and their backs use the ball intelligently.

I think we have some good games coming up and most teams are now playing with greater continuity, so the standard of rugby naturally increases.

Peter Harrison

Frank Row (1)
I hear there's a bit of competition for the 10 job in White, a nudgee boy who has a pretty strong pass, good vision and good in the ruck and a terrace boy who really good at kicking, great pass, good vision and strong tackler. The nudgee boy had a good game against Logan, and the terrace boy was on the bench but has been showing potential. It will be interesting who they select for the Coast and WA

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
Brisbane Gold Coaches to their credit are sticking to the Rotation Policy. Everyone is getting decent game time unlike some other teams where some boys have played every minute.

I thought they may have picked the best side for the final important game however they have continued to be fair.

Credit to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.