• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

ARU Junior Gold Cup - National Junior Championships

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruckedknee

Stan Wickham (3)
Western NSW are still a shot. Last I saw of them they played a pretty cohesive game with some pretty good players all over the park.

Christian Cullen

Stan Wickham (3)
Re Garry 10's

10's - I have to agree there hasn't been a clear standout & that's a worry.
Whites 12 has been the standout mid fielder & he also plays 10 for his school. He has dominated the kicking game while playing for the white. I think you will find white settle on their best 10 against WA (Maybe).
Nudgee 10 played good in his 1st game, used 50/50 in other games but mostly starter with mixed results but struggled against GC while his replacement was great against GC & might earn the start against WA?

Gold looks to have found a 10 who has enjoyed playing with a great ball delivery from their starting 9 the last 2 weeks. The 10 after struggling against Sunshine Coast, out shined both the Blue 10's however with the scores being so close would the Blue 10 have looked good if he was playing with the Gold 9? Are the White 10's only looking good if playing with the right 9?

I know it seems one sided talking a lot about the Brisbane teams but a lot of players that played for other Queensland sides in u14's (State Champs) now attend Brisbane or GC Schools. Ipswich, Gold Coast, Brisbane Gold, Blue & White will Dominate the Qld selections & a few from the remaining teams as per the tables. Either way there wont be much difference from the guy who makes it to another that doesn't but in every case there is the odd exception, NQLD 11, White 12

Galloper

Darby Loudon (17)
Whites 12 has been the standout mid fielder & he also plays 10 for his school.

Is the 12 for White Josh Radford?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ CC - And you can add GC 15 to the exception list too

Interesting that White Coaches played 12 at 10 for a while on Friday Night against Logan.

Gold 12 has also been quite impactful all tournament and Blue 13 really showed his class yesterday ...so you never know

Yeah ...I take your point there does seem to be a lot of chat on the Brisbane based teams . And the provincial / regional teams ( Gold Coast with the exception ) may be a bit under the radar given their results . Some of this might be fair enough and some not . Sunny Coast were within a bees dick of drawing with Gold - penalty on full time decided the result , and , they also beat NQ and DD - yet there isn't much focus on these guys just because they were round housed in the opening round against Blue

And then you take a team like Ipswich who will highly likely end up tied at the top of the table and a comment was made not so far back on this thread ( almost dismissively ) that there were no real stand outs . Maybe so. Maybe not. Assuming they beat Sunny Coast by 15 in the coming match up , outside some ball movement and decision making issues they must be doing something right if they end up winning their pool on equal points with Gold. There was some ill will in their first home game against Blue they are also off the popular radar - but Gold and Blue's best didn't have anywhere near the run against them and didn't look as good as they did on other teams ( including each other )

@ Galloper

No

Team Lists are up on the ARU Website under Gold Cup fixtures / results

Ruckedknee

Stan Wickham (3)
@GO "I take your point there does seem to be a lot of chat on the Brisbane based teams"

I would also add the lack of chat/interest re the southern conferences. Is this because NSW GPS players may not competing?

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
@ Anthony Smith

I cant see Gold get anywhere near White or Gold Coast in the Semi Finals

Even moreso if WA prove to be better and win through

Granted , White may struggle a bit in the set piece against Gold ( Gold Coast won't ) but in general play and ability to move the ball White , IMO , would put a differential of 15 to 20 points on Gold

Peter Harrison

Frank Row (1)
Predictions for:

Semi Finalists and Grand Finalists

think WA or White will take out pool D (too close to split WA and White) and Pool C will be won by Gold and in the NSW pools, ACT (pool B) and Victoria (Pool A)

Semi Finals:

WA/White vs Gold
ACT vs VIC

Final:

WA/White vs ACT

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
Gold has not fielded best 15 yet, so we will see. Gold backs starting to gel.

Will be great games whoever plays.

Good luck to all the contenders and great play by teams who miss the finals.

Sunny

Ted Fahey (11)
@ Anthony Smith

I cant see Gold get anywhere near White or Gold Coast in the Semi Finals

Even moreso if WA prove to be better and win through

Granted , White may struggle a bit in the set piece against Gold ( Gold Coast won't ) but in general play and ability to move the ball White , IMO , would put a differential of 15 to 20 points on Gold

Got to agree with you Garry, I didn't think White could get over the Coast and they happily proved me more than wrong. White have been impressive with with their ability to move the ball, and I'll throw in there the forwards have held there own extremely well, without the services of their starting tight head prop.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
No one has Midas............well possibly with the exception of one of the other Brisbane Teams ( and to a lesser extent the other ) given that most were honouring the intent of giving experience to all

Seeing / knowing the best of across all teams - White and Gold Coast are just better. And by a respectable margin ( like I said 15 to 20 points )

It's also important to note - I have no horse in any race - just an impartial observer

ajb

Frank Row (1)
The u17 brisbane team seems to be going well .Meet WA on thursday night at5 ballymore.Then Darling Downs on sunday.Looking like Met west,Met east ,Brisbaneand WA as semi finalists.Anybody know where finals are played as on the ladder they are on seperate weekends.

midas

Frank Nicholson (4)
No one has Midas....well possibly with the exception of one of the other Brisbane Teams ( and to a lesser extent the other ) given that most were honouring the intent of giving experience to all

Seeing / knowing the best of across all teams - White and Gold Coast are just better. And by a respectable margin ( like I said 15 to 20 points )

It's also important to note - I have no horse in any race - just an impartial observer

Sorry GO, only meant Brisbane teams as I'm aware of boys playing every minute.

I agree, I thought GC and White game was very good standard to what I've seen elsewhere. To me the GC 7 and White 12 were the best out there.

I think a lot of games that I've seen amongst the SE QLD teams could have been blowouts by either team but constant errors were issues (good defence and handling errors).

The White and GC game had the least errors and most structured play I've seen.

The focus when the teams were announced in Brisbane were on Blue and White. It has been good to see Gold hold there own and maybe have better depth than the others.

Of course just my opinion.

I've enjoyed watching the competition and definitely think it has been a great development pathway.

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
Sorry GO, only meant Brisbane teams as I'm aware of boys playing every minute.

I agree, I thought GC and White game was very good standard to what I've seen elsewhere. To me the GC 7 and White 12 were the best out there.

I think a lot of games that I've seen amongst the SE QLD teams could have been blowouts by either team but constant errors were issues (good defence and handling errors).

The White and GC game had the least errors and most structured play I've seen.

The focus when the teams were announced in Brisbane were on Blue and White. It has been good to see Gold hold there own and maybe have better depth than the others.

Of course just my opinion.

I've enjoyed watching the competition and definitely think it has been a great development pathway.
For mine I think the gold coaches ( whoever they are ) have done a helluva job
In a short space of time they have managed both development and competitive progression
There is a toughness to this Gold Team - and that's an attractive quality

Two Dogs

Frank Row (1)
GO - isn't he the voice of Roger Ramjet. It think you might have taken one too many Proton Energy Pills my friend (upload of Spandau Ballet clip was a bit of a hint). You are clearly in awe of the American Ippie Eagles as every comment seems to prop them up whilst slugging away not so quietly at the one team that beat them.

Just as a quick recap, the score line between Ippie and Gold was much more until the very last seconds when Ippie went over under the post with a held up then knocked away (on?) try - which was only a try in the eye's of one person. You know it yourself GO!

Yes Ippie had possession, but that's only because the Gold line out was so terrible that it kept delivering the ball straight back after all the work of some monster defence that held the bigger and stronger Ippie boys out time and time again.

I missed this weeks games at Ballymore but here's another observation from reading through the weekend posts. I heard on the grapevine that Gold's lineouts this week were spot on - GO's post in fact says Gold's lineouts were "solid" this week??? I wonder whether how much the score line would have blown out in that Ippie game if Gold line outs performed to a similar capacity, and they kept the ball and made most of their forward momentum????

And then there is the Blue game... after a convincing domination of the game by Blue, 6 minutes overtime allowed Ippie to scratch their way ahead to win by, what do you call it, "a bee's dick". The Blue team felt completely robbed and comments on the game and how it was played could fill up this forum for weeks if so inclined and if the moderators allowed it!

Another important point to remember when assessing "which team is best" is the impact of rotation on the ebbs and flows during the games, and in terms of the final results. The Brissy teams that Ivé watched seem to have been rotating their players each week and throughout the games - so from week to week, different combinations and (with all due respect) different skill levels have taken to the fields. I suspect some of the powder in their muskets has gone wanting at various points and boilovers as you call them are the obvious result.

Cant say I know what level of rotation Ippie has done ? At least the props for example seem to rotate often! (im having a real dig here if you haven't noticed!)

Anyway GO, Ippie have been great! The youngsters in the team (Yank, Doodle Dan and Dee) have done really well. And we've all enjoyed watching them play but Jeez GO......take a look at the games and the boys without the flyboy goggles on. You have some great commentary, and we all admittedly love a bit of Spandau Ballet (don't tell my wife), but
GET OFF THE PEPS and give Gold a cheer or two for a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.